Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 40 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I’ve owned my model S for 6 years now and have 100k miles on it. It’s a good car no complaints, and yes I’d get another Tesla.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

m5shiv, Jaguar36 and BOKE like this.
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I'm waiting for my tri motor Cybertruck

Tbill likes this.
  3. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    For a commute car I see the savings but for a road trip still at least for me it is chancy on getting stranded or u have change your route ... My last one a couple of months ago I did a Seattle DeathValley Seattle little drive and I like to do secondary roads to add hiking and stuff not sure I can use a Tesla for that.

4. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    In California there is a supercharger every 100 miles, charge anxiety is a mute point. But I totally understand if charging is an issue. It’s never been for me. Don’t get me Wrong , I’m not a hardcore Tesla supporter, just like my model S.

5. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Don't know about the stocks but the car falls apart after 200kmh. the noise, the instability and shaking, i hated every part of the tesla while driving it.

6. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    I happened yo walk into a Tesla @ Tyson corner just to see what's the fuzz about it, they were about to close & starting talking to the guy ..he said the P model is good also for the track he said he can prep one up 4 a test drive was leaving for the West coast next day so I didn't get to try it... we talked what u see on most of the videos they take off and beat a porsche up to 90-100 then it is sayonara might be what u r saying

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't know but the video at the Ring with the Tesla S broken down at the side of the road getting ready for a tow while the Taycan cruses by kind of says it all. The Tesla seems to be a very fast grocery getter but not well equipped for the track. Not that I think a 6k Taycan is really a track car either. I haven’t driven either yet but I will likely drive a Taycan to see if I want it for a DD but it won’t replace my other Porsches or 612. It could replace my Pano TS??

I really doubt the charging facilities will be very convenient for several years and charging a Taycan at Walmart is not my idea where I want to spend 22-30 minutes hanging out waiting for a charge.

8. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    TSLA stock price the day this thread was started was right around $200/share. Today it is at $492/share. 2.5x increase. Definitely a better return than an F430 over the same time period. Looks like @JERRYZ hasn’t been on here in a while but I hope he has held the stock this whole time!

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

i think he did. Speculating of course. U got believe in it and be in it for the long run with that stock because it sure has been a roller coaster!

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Really really late response on this but... the broken down Tesla S was a development car for the Tesla Model S Plaid. (Spaceballs reference). You can tell the diff with extended fenders. Chassis still in Dev.

As for the stock, hot damn it’s doing well.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Randy - You are right about the stock it certainly has been hot lately perhaps this can be best described as "irrational exuberance"? They did finally make a small profit for one quarter last year.

12. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Just hit 100k on this bad boy... exterior and interior holding up well (8/10). Major expenses have been tires for me. I have the 21” rims and the tires have to be replaced every 15k miles. With the occasional flat here and there , I’ve replaced the set of tires 7-8 times now. Besides that I changed a window regulator for $350ish and replaced front breaks for $750ish, been a fun car. But..... but ...... there is no comparison to my F430, no way no how. Anyone who sells their Ferrari to buy a Tesla is crazy.

Caphill, Manda racing and mchas like this.
  13. AshAP

AshAP Karting

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ash
    JERRYZ likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Looks like JerryZ was a genius as of today :)

JERRYZ and paulchua like this.
  15. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I have to admit. Tesla is crushing it. I like their cars. But nothing, nothing is a Ferrari but Ferrari.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

Pis7a2020 and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  16. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I did it a little differently than the title of this thread. Kept my Ferrari, invested in Tesla, just ordered my Tesla. An incredibly inexpensive car today when it was paid for with 8 year old Tesla stock.

Tamahal and 2cam like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just wanted to keep tabs.

Assuming say he sold his 430 Spyder back in 2013 for $150,000 and invested it all in Tesla on the day he posted this.

Today would have had an intraday high of $754,273.

@JERRYZ wherever you are, I hope you are enjoying - well done sir.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Assuming he never sold too!

This has been a bitcoin-esque rise to say the least!

I don’t have that many shares of Tesla but every time I have been looking at my stocks lately it’s bee Sky rocketing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I remember there were a lot of skeptics. I guess when even GM is paying millions to market it's 100% electric "Hummer" on the Superbowl, people are starting to realize what you and I see everyday in the Bay Area for years now.....

I guess what I never understood is the hate. I like ICE, but I also like Electric.

It was never an either/or proposition. I can like Techno AND Classic Rock.

I can like Tube Amps AND Solid State.

I can enjoy my iWatch AND Patek Phillipe....

list goes on and on and on....

JERRYZ, 2cam, tritone and 2 others like this.
  20. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Today the Intraday high was 968.99 that's just crazy.

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Agree it’s about embracing change. That being said, in the other state I live, FL... it’s like a different country. CA is like its own word leading the change but you don’t see the rest of the world so ready just yet.
    I use a fiat electric to commute and I love it, and I love the f car and it’s sound too. I think as a car guy there is nothing wrong I being open to liking everything or at least consider other options;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2cam and paulchua like this.
  22. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have always said the other car manufacturers have not gone the 100% electric route like Tesla because it has not been profitable in the past but now that battery cost is really coming down (the most expensive part of an electric vehicle) almost every car manufacturer has the ability to make better cars than Tesla and they are this close to making it happen. In 5 years I'll revisit this post :)

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Though not a luddite, I'm generally skeptical of new things myself. I would be a liar if I said I didn't have my doubts about Tesla, I thought it would go out of business. I also didn't support it from any environmental perspective, especially knowing the fact that it was government subsidized.

The a-ha moment for me though was 0-60 in 2.3 and 1/4 in 10.4 seconds for 150K. That's just objective fact nobody can deny. Now it's one thing if the car self destructs after a few runs like this, but our Teslas have been running well for years.

Once I saw this and knew these 3 things

1) The price will only go down
    2) Reliability will only go up
    3) It will only get faster

I knew Tesla 'made it.'

Can it still go out of business? Of course!! Just like many other car companies that needed bailouts in 09' to keep the lights on....

I think all the other auto manufacturers know this now too.

Does this somehow mean I hate Ferrari? Heavens NO!! If anything I love Ferrari even more, knowing it offers something that is yet one more thing that is not a commodity.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ChipG like this.
  24. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The talk is many traders sold Tesla short thinking it would tank and when it went up they had to jump and cover their shorts thus driving it up even more. Tesla has been a real roller coaster currently on a big up swing, anyone think there maybe some big sell offs in the future?​

ChipG and paulchua like this.
  25. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    CNBC had some good points about its shareholders this morning, most green people have a tendency to hold green investments 10 times longer than an institutional investor. Also, Robinhood (an investment app for millennials) over 1 million of them bought at least 1 share of TSLA in the last week.