488 -- USB/iPod | FerrariChat

488 -- USB/iPod

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FPFaeth, Nov 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I have a 2018 488 and would prefer to use a USB drive for music vs the iPod -- just neater and sleeker. However, while the iPod works just fine, the USB does not, though music files share the same format. The media system won't recognize the drive. In all my other cars, I can use them interchangeably. The 488 manual has no reference to using a USB; it does note that an iPod works. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

2. 2HotShoes

2HotShoes Karting

Sep 2, 2015
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Tal & Beryl
    It sounds like a basic file format issue (you may think they are the same but the bit rate, etc. could be different and unrecognized by the 488's system. It's a fairly rigid environment.). Or it could have something to do with the USB's filing system (also rigid). In our 550 I occasionally use a thumb drive that's loaded with R&R (the real stuff, not the sh*t from today) that I converted from my iPhone to basic MP3. Sounds great, though not as good as by Tubis...

I'd get a new USB drive, format it and put one MP3 or WAV file on it (or both) and see what happens.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thank you 2HotShoes -- I will check the file format. All good points. Frank

4. 2HotShoes

2HotShoes Karting

Sep 2, 2015
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Tal & Beryl
    Consider starting with a low bit rate such as 128 Kbps (somewhat coarse) and, if that works, scale up from there (e.g. 160+) to where you can't hear any improvement in your target acoustical environment(s). Our Maranello has a pretty good sound system but I can't hear an improvement with bit rates over the 128. Inside the house or offices is another matter but those audio files are handled differently.

5. gernothofer@gmx.at

Jul 24, 2017
    I have the same problem with my 2018 GTB, dealer found no solution - listen to ipod via bluetooth and charge it separately, because when i connect via USB the system crashes. in the beginning, it worked...I have no clue what happened, dealer supposes that an iphone update (Iphone 8) killed connectivity via USB...

6. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    My iphone 10 plays my music via USB cable fine on my 2018 488.

7. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I can play iPod via cable or Bluetooth (but then doesn't charge) without issue. When I use a USB drive, I get nothing. 2HotShoes and a friend suggest I convert my USB files (now in M4a format) to MP3 -- will try that tomorrow when I have time off.

8. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    The solution was to use a USB 2.0 of 32G. 64G will not work. I've had this issue on other cars, whether it be a USB or SD card.

Caeruleus11 likes this.