Pricing trends on 512 TR and 512 M | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pricing trends on 512 TR and 512 M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bimmerbill, Nov 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cgt are easy to buy back - plenty of clean documented ones around!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    yaw close to double the price now

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    A CGT is one of those few cars that outside of a huge financial liquidation or death, I just can't understand why someone would sell.

cgt000 and E_Man like this.
  4. AMG Merc

AMG Merc Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've scanned this, and other recent threads relating to prices with interest, being an owner of a 92 LHD 512TR (red/black) that I may sell into the US one day (well, I say "may" but my track record seems to be keep all of my toys forever - e.g.: Noble M12 GTO-3R - 16 years from new and not for sale - ever!)).

Yes, prices are all over the place on both sides of the water but, as some have said, you want the best you can get and that come with all the original papers, tools, luggage, etc. Sure, these will cost more.Then compare the best to the rest in the market.

Over winter 2016 I looked for 6-8 months - UK first (a lot of rubbish) then Europe (OK, also, a lot of rubbish but larger market, as you know) and paid a premium (that only breaks me even today after 4 years*).

Here's why I was happy to pay a premium, and maybe why you should:

Mint inside and out (9/10 - not my assessment), all original paint, one owner 21 years then me (President, Turin Motor Club), 18,000 miles (kms converted) (now c.19,000), Italian ASI club registered, serviced and new belts, spare wheel (Ferrari badged OE - spare didn't come with UK cars), Schedoni leather tool box AND jack box (Italians know how to do style), 3 (yes 3) sets of keys and alarm fobs, manuals, all original service invoices (always at his local in Turin), magazines, cover, more... I wrote to the guys in Turin, they knew the owner, knew the car, had seen it from new. Solid provenance.

So sorry to bang on guys but look at a lot of cars then pay more - and get more. You didn't stop at that first girl, did you?! :)

PS: saw a lot from Japan - avoid. AlI I saw came with nothing. Those guys throw way all the papers, books, invoices, tools - the lot. Cars stay is dusty underground storage and are never used. You just get the car, unknown history. And ask Ferrari Japan for records - forget it.

Happy to hear your views.

* No problem, car's not for sale. lol

ross, blkdiablo33, Zeff and 3 others like this.
  5. Yellow512TR

Yellow512TR Rookie

Mar 30, 2014
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jon

6. Yellow512TR

Yellow512TR Rookie

Mar 30, 2014
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I believe I am ready to sell. I have had it for 6 years and have driven it very little. 1992, 22,000 miles, Fly Yellow.

blkdiablo33 and sixcarbs like this.
  7. Wdemuynck@hotmail.com

Mar 24, 2015
    Izegem Belgium
    Full Name:
    Willem Demuynck
    Hi guys, I’m at the other end. I buy cars to drive them , i put lots of miles on them because i take every opportunity to get on the road , even long trips. So when i wanted a 512tr 2 years ago i looked for a high mile car. I found a swiss mint condition ( outside and inside really perfect )but 90k kilometers. Paid 115k€. Had a full mechanical overhaul , engine out , engine totally redone , all electronics, wires,...... name it. Capristo exhaust with valves remote installed. Paid 35k in total. So i have a 150k€ perfect car that i’ m not afraid to put miles and floor it ;). Don’t care about value once it is ip 100k kilometers because it puts a smile on my fave every time i drive.

SAFE4NOW, ross, E_Man and 4 others like this.
  8. AMG Merc

AMG Merc Rookie

Aug 6, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Totally get that and respect it. I suppose my TR is a Garage Queen but then so is the Noble - but that one get ragged more as designed :)

9. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #59 Zeff, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Nothing wrong with paying more to find the right car. You just tend to open yourself up to more cars vs when you are just shopping on lowest prices. You quickly realized that point when you were shopping for your car as illustrated by your example. This is the only way I would shop for a car like this. It’s nice to be able to consider all the cars on the market vs just a limited few. You will have less problems to deal with too as you can make sure you get a car with all the proper maintenance history. You won’t have to compromise on anything. Your hunt won’t be nearly as difficult then when your not focused solely on the price. We all hear the stories here, like I can’t find a car for sale for 140-150k. I think if you have the money and you are a highly motivated buyer you will pay up to get the right car. Contrast that thought to I’d be a buyer for the car at 120k, not real motivated to buy. I’d be a buyer for another 512tr right now at 120k because I’m not very motivated to buy a 2nd one. Now if your just looking for a car you can drive a lot then it really doesn’t matter as much, get a high mileage car and forget about it.

10. Azikosha

Azikosha Rookie

Apr 22, 2017
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hammer time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Sold it for $400k back in 2014, I was spending almost $20K per week on a rehab for my drug addicted son and after 6 months was really feeling the pinch.
    Had no idea when it would end so I panicked and sold the car that served no other purpose beyond my personal pleasure and satisfaction.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Sorry to read about ur son. A car doesn’t mean anything if we don’t have health. U did the right thing.

cgt000 and blkdiablo33 like this.
  14. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If anyone is looking for a no stories Red/Tan 512 TR in the $140-$150k range let me know. 25k miles. all original car.

Michael8888, blkdiablo33 and Zeff like this.
  15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Wow!!!, Who has that kind of money these days to afford this kind of rehab? I mean I think its outstanding you could do it but that is top shelf all the way! $80,000 a month.

16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Love yellow 512's

EZORED likes this.
  17. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SAFE4NOW, Zeff and fire_n_ice like this.
  18. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    So buyer pays $28k on top? Or did you mean seller's fee.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

pays on top. 308k is pretty much what we have seen recently for those. I'd say strong sale.

20. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is a 93 512TR 9k miles going tomorrow night at RM Sotheby’s no reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so we know the distressed price for a red/tan documented 94 512TR with 10k miles - $82K in 2009/2010. the yellow 93 sold for 180k so maybe add another 40K for a 94 and red. maybe a red 94 wld have traded at $275 3 yrs ago? hard to say a bubble has popped. id say prices have stabilized and probably not a bad time to be buying something you really love, barring another financial crisis. that's alot of car for 180K, pure analog passion is worth a bunch, to me at least.

Natkingcolebasket69 and BOKE like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Nicely said! Like u said in another post it’s a correction prices wise.

24. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I saw a yellow 512 on the road the anther day, they’re gorgeous, a definite icon.