Maserati Indy thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Maserati Indy thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ignominus, Dec 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Wow - strong pricing - will have to rethink pricing mine as the finishing touches are put on its restoration.

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    That car is the one noted on page 2 of this thread. It seems to be bouncing between
    Dealers at an ever increasing price...what a super example though.

M

3. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    This is typically the kind of car that can go from single to triple in terms of price, because the bad examples are often very bad (most cars have been used as daily drivers at some point), and the really nice examples are just very few. That may explain the premium. It is just difficult to understand the value of a solid example, simply because there do not seem to be any out there. Mine is now finished in exactly the same combo, so I feel lucky now, although I bought it to use it...

4. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
  5. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have a 4.9 US 5-speed - very early one 1971 (45th out of the 300 4.9s) and it only has two (2) vents, 14" wheels, factory A/C, factory power steering and Maserati Classiche

certified. Image Unavailable, Please Login

indyvignale and Bisgaard like this.
  6. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
  7. SMarc

SMarc Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Yes of course but it's not an "Indy 4900" it's an "Indy 4700" (America) with 4900 motor option.

8. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Interesting update of Hagerty concerning the prices of classic cars.
    Following two years of substantial prices decrease all around the panel (Ferrari's, German's, etc.), it seems that there is a slight increase on January 2018 compared to September 2017.
    Of course it depends on brands and models.
    Most interesting for the Indy is a substantial picking-up in continuation of the previous trend, maybe the ongoing recognition that this classic GT was undervalued in comparison to other Masers.
    https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/market-trends/market-rating/January-2018

pnorell likes this.
  9. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Does anyone have an accurate wiring diagram for the Maserati Indy 4700 ? The one in my owner's manual is of a very poor quality.

Thank you.

10. vlasic ludovic

vlasic ludovic Karting

Apr 13, 2015
    Nice France
    Full Name:
    Vlasic ludovic
    I am searching for the same thing.....any help would be appreciate...

Best regards

11. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    There is a sketch of the electrical diagram of AM116 (4200 and 4700, I hope it is also the same basis for 4900) on the last page of the "early manual".
    It is readable and accurate enough, and there is also a list of the wiring components that are identified on the diagram.
    It is available on the website of Ivan (thecarnut)

12. Rolando38

Rolando38 Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    roland la frite
    #62 Rolando38, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2019
    hello
    as a new owner of an Indy 4200 based in France , I am digging out this thread to be able to chat with other owners and hopefully get some useful maintenance tips
    my first task will be to find , or most probably re-create rear seats as the previous owner removed them at some time and his sons (who sold the car) discarded them after letting them mold in a cellar...
    so should someone have spare ones, I 'd be glad to get in touch, ... but most likely I'd be grateful if I could have pictures of the seats dismantled (back, underneath,etc) to understand how they where built (wood, chassis metal, or fiberglass polyester like in the Jensen Interceptor ...?) and try to rebuild (I'm familiar with car trimming)
    thanks !

bay likes this.
  13. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Bonjour Roland and welcome here.
    No pictures of the seats assembly of my Indy.

Only schematic that I know of the seats is within the spare parts manual of the Indy (table 43) that you can find on Ivan's website:
    http://www.thecarnut.com/Manuals/Parts/Indy_parts_manual.pdf

Good luck for your search and rebuild!

14. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  15. Rolando38

Rolando38 Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    roland la frite
    merci Froggy
    will continue on your restoration thread !

16. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  17. Rolando38

Rolando38 Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    roland la frite
    hello happy Indy Owners and/or lovers

a question on 4.2 version (maybe only "early") there is a mechanical way to open the headlights in case of electrical failure
    it is described in the manual of which I join a copy
    as you can read, a handle/crank is supposed to be "on the tunnel free space";
    1/ where do you believe this might be ?
    2/ any picture of the location and of the handle itself ? (size in particular) would be appreciated

on later versions it seems that a knob located athe bottom of the car front allows to open the headlight lids

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Roland, can you post some photos of your car please ? Thanks.

19. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  20. Rolando38

Rolando38 Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    roland la frite
  21. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    It’s great to find an Indy thread. Having owned a Merak and a Khamsin, Indy’s still hold a special place.
    More pictures please.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    There are several Indy threads but we don't mind having this one revived.
    I will contribute.

Here is my Indy 4900, EU specs first registered in Germany.
    Was garaged for 35 years, so I had the car restored including repaint and mechanicals.
    Still a few issues to sort out coming from the progressive recommissioning on driving : at the end, the LHM braking sytem has been fully overhauled (spheres, accumulator, expansion tank, compressor, belts and hoses...) as well as the A/C system (compressor, conversion to R134a), fuel pumps, carbs, radiator, diff (replaced by a LSD)...

pnorell, au-yt, staatsof and 2 others like this.
  23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  24. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    These things are torque monsters. I am not sure if Indy engines use the same specification camshaft as Bora/Khamsin/Ghibli, but I know of a 4.7L Indy engine which recently made 295bhp at just 4800rpm! Low grunt for sure.

25. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I believe there are the same engines and gearbox/diff in the Ghibli/Indy/Khamsin except the wet/dry sump configuration.
    I think that the Bora has a different final drive, maybe adpated to its lower frontal area and SCx.

Power and torque figures seem to differ slightly though, e.g. from 320 to 330 hp for the 4.9, but that was maybe due to a different way to measure it along the life of the models.
    Also the US versions have lower outputs due to the federalisation of the engine...