Montana registration crack-down | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think the point that should be made is these posts assume that somewhere in the process the
    purchaser of the car is lying . you are right lying is never a good idea but do not assume these people are lying ...and the suggestion that all these guys are cheating is not necessarily correct.

Gh21631 likes this.
  2. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Love your quote on 3 sides !

Thanks for the support dude!
    Have great holiday season

paulchua and BOKE like this.
  3. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    The way I see it, the Montana LLC is a tax avoidance move that can have potential pitfalls. You can't protect people from themselves and if some choose to go down the Montana path to save some money, they may run into other issues over time. Actions have consequences. Not for me to judge them and not my problem unless they hit me or my car or my fence and their insurance won't cover the incident.

30 years ago I had my cars registered up in Reno where I had a second home and an office because the insurance was 60% less back then in Reno. My dumb ass left my Las Vegas address on my Nevada Driver's License. I got rear-ended on I-15 in Las Vegas and was ticketed for my DL having a different address than my registration. I registered everything in Las Vegas ever since.

4. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

Excellent stuff
    And if was common
    Everyone would have it

BOKE likes this.
  5. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  6. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I could have used you In Vietnam!
    We needed someone to make us laugh about a bad situation!!

We had only one saying
    Scars are tattoos with better stories

Would love to buy you an adult beverage one day

Texas Forever and BOKE like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    RonH likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Have fun!

Clyde Romero likes this.
  9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Odd, generally you can have cars registered to other homes you own in or out of state. You can even travel between homes or other states. You are not relegated to driving X miles from your home.

LARRYH likes this.
  11. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    It came down to the vehicle registration, and insurance card didn't have the same address as my DL. It was a BS ticket, but it was a ticket that carried a fine and points. The cop wasn't thrilled to be on the side of the road at rush hour and gave me and the two cars behind me tickets.

I switched my registration and insurance back down to Las Vegas, and the ticket was dropped. Nevada has some crazy rules because of the disparity in tax rates between counties. Some rural counties had much more lax smog laws back in the day, as well.

Out of state plates here will get you in deep if you have 30 days of residency in Nevada. We have more people born in California living in Las Vegas than folks that were born here anymore. The DMV is all over the transitory nature of people moving through Nevada.

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I can't imagine why people would leave California. :)

Reacherman1022 and BOKE like this.
  13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    They are doing a great job of holding down property values while driving up rent at the same time. I have never seen anything like it.

Just standing on the sidelines watching right now.

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Clyde Romero likes this.
  15. hirpm

hirpm Rookie

Mar 9, 2014
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Note: I do not know how to limit search to within a discussion and have not read all 19 pages here. So if covered earlier please link the comment.
    Question: Has anyone with California domicile on this forum been fined for driving a car registered in Montana?

VGM911 likes this.
  16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    in the search drop down is a an option for "search this thread only".

Also, I would search the "california" regional forums (there are two - nocal and socal)

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    If you are caught it can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the level of tax avoidance (if you are avoiding more than $10K in taxes they will often charge it as a felony). I doubt anyone is going to freely admit that they have a criminal record.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have only met one person who had Montana plates on her car she was driving in CA. I talked to her about it and she said she had a lot of cars both in Montana and CA as she had a ranch business in Montana. She also said she switched cars from time to time but I certainly doubt it was every 30 days or so as required by CA and most states. But she had not have a problem but I believe she also said she had a Montana drivers license and was a Montana resident for voting and tax purposes.

19. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Given: Nearly all folks pay their resident vehicle taxes, even though they would likely prefer not to pay anything if there was no risk in doing so.

This discussion reminds me of one that occurs periodically about the necessity to change 360 cam belts every three years. Many argue that its best to comply with Ferrari's schedule. Others suggest that it can be easily pushed to five years. There are even a few who submit that an even longer period is safe. The justifications vary, but it all comes down to risk management. If you follow the rule, the theory is you minimize the risk of fatal engine damage.

To those arguing the right to do a Montana LLC registration to reduce vehicle taxes: Please explain to me the difference in risk between these two situations.

RonH and G. Pepper like this.
  20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well one just costs $$$ to fix and the other also seems to have legal consequences (felony) as well as $$$ to fix. Which leads to other consequences - loss of right to vote & gun ownership to name a couple.

RonH and Nospinzone like this.
  21. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Randy, she sounds like she will be fine. She might not be technically compliant but unlikely anyone would pursue it. The ones that will get targeted are the ones that create the single purpose Montana LLC to own the expensive car and then they drive it around here and the LLC is the only connection to Montana. Those guys (and gals) the prosecutors are likely to go after hard because they are creating a very visible scam to evade taxes.

Most tax cheats do it on their income taxes because it is not very visible and the odds are they wont get caught. I really don't understand the thinking of people that do the Montana scam. They are driving around in fancy cars with Montana plates. How more visible can you get! And frankly, it is relatively small money (if you figure the car is $300K you are only talking about maybe $60K of taxes and fees all in)—is that really worth risking a felony conviction? If you are into taking that kind of risk it is much easier to cheat on $60K of income taxes and much less visible. IMHO the Montana scammers are probably the stupidist of all tax cheats.

readplays and Nospinzone like this.
  22. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I don’t own the car, a rental company does and I just rent it from them. They just so happen to be in Montana.

Dewinator and Andynyc like this.
  23. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    That’s fine Jamie, as long as you rent it while in Montana. If you bring it to CA then you (or the “rental company”) will need to pay sales and use tax if it is here for 20 days.

Again, you can call it what you want, but don't try to get too cute by half. The DAs and tax people are not stupid.

If you don't like the level of taxes here in CA (and I certainly don't) then elect people who will stop spending our money and raising taxes to pay for it. But don't fool yourself into doing dumb crap and cry about it when you find you are now a criminal.

Saabfreak, jag-oo-r and Nospinzone like this.
  24. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    #475 G. Pepper, May 22, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
    The Texas 130 Toll Road I use to bypass Austin and the I-35 nightmare has 80 and 85 MPH speed limits and low traffic.

Also, not much speed enforcement, because they don't want to scare customers away. Well worth the price.