12 hours from dealership - 458? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

12 hours from dealership - 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Andy348, Nov 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Dead OEM battery. Roof closing mechanism failure on 2014 458 Spider.

Sounds like you are handy with the wrench so can do regular oil change/etc. For the most part, the 458 is a robust and durable model but issues necessitating a trip to the dealer do arise on an older/used example.

I would write the pros and cons of 458 vs GT3/Turbo S ownership on a sheet of paper and let it marinate for a few days. Just being 9 hours closer to the Porsche dealership would make the ownership experience more pleasant for me but I tend to prepare for worst case scenario. YMMV.

2. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Simple. Conservatively budget for transportation (I would plan for ~3 trips per year), if that amount causes you stress, then don't do it. If not, definitely do it!

I also have my car serviced at Lake Forest, and I know they regularly service cars from Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri...the same is true of reputable dealers all around the country. They are used to it, it's just an additional expense and maybe a few extra days without your car. If there's a real problem it could be a hassle, but if you trust your dealer (I do) I wouldn't have any problem discussing and resolving issues over the phone, or worst case drive/fly in for a visit...

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have had my 458 for 3 years and it has only been to the dealer once each year for the annual service.

4. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Weak battery
    Ticking noise from the dash (the whole front had to be dismantled to fix this)
    Bad fuel pump, replaced under warranty
    A coin stuck in the transmission tunnel which made noises when I accelerated and braked hard.
    Failure of catalytic converter.
    Strange noise from the passanger side caused by electronic wiring under the seat (this was my previous 458 with the comfort seats).
    The alcantara surrounding inside the cabin on the a-pillar was loose.
    The exahust dampers failed so it was constantly open.

With this said, I would buy the 458 in a heartbeat if I did not already have one ---> That's how good it makes you feel.