Hoovie buys a 348 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hoovie buys a 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by chopsui, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Those two 355s that Freddy has in his shop are great donor cars. Please encourage him to donate both of them to a Ferrari enthusiast.:rolleyes:

Here is my guilty pleasure car channel on YouTube. Track down Cleetus on one of your Florida adventures. They have Turbos, Nitrous, and a Dyno. What can go wrong??? They wrench on stuff and run it and seem to have a good time. I wish there were more content like yours where the guys get their hands dirty. In your video with Sam, I laughed at the ribbing you gave him and that he used the needle nose to grab the cam seal keep his hands clean.

vdettore and carnutdallas like this.
  2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    That guy is a knucklehead. He made his way into Magnus Walker's place and wasted his time asking about a POS Lotus in the bac room. Magnus Walks away from him when he had enough. What a buffoon. The Lotus wasn't even the most interesting thing in the back room.

3. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It was cool to see Magnus’ place and hear the stories. I think the Youtubers appeal to a group of people we have no connection with or understanding of. As a nearly 50 year old, I realize my life experiences are fantastical compared to most of the world and I have done very little compared to my contemporaries on here that have traveled the world or lived a life more dynamic than mine. What I mean is, the schtick works for a world viewed through a 5” or so screen. I need the biggest flat screen in the world, but my kids will forgo our media room to watch things on their phones. They absorb material in a different way than me. I see it in my 19-20 year nephews and what knowledge they have of vehicles on the web, staggering to me, but they can barely make it to work or understand how to follow directions. They expect instant gratification! Not the journey I have experienced in tangible failure and success. YouTube and the web et al are producing kids with encyclopedic knowledge that can barely wipe their own asses! The shows appeal to so many that have a screen, but may not have a true actual meal available to them. Staggeringly sad.

I will admit to a heavy dose of turkey and adult beverages while I watch my Cowgirls on the 120” screen, so my brain is making sense but maybe not to the device I am typing on, LOL

Happy Thanksgiving! I will continue to watch these YouTuber’s and laugh at what makes them rich - mostly punk kids living through theses screens, 1 million clicks at a time!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 and BOKE like this.
  4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #54 ernie, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Agree
    Easy fix, simply remove some of the sims behind the roof latches, and possibly new rubber molding
    Easy fix, remove 2 phillips screws on the bottom corners of the cluster and check the connectors on the back of the gages
    Easy and cheap fix, and there is a diy on how to do it. ;)
    Love it! That is where they should have been from the get go. Matter of fact I have been thinking of doing the same thing. Stooge award
    Love it! Stooge award!
    Stooge award
    Seat are just fine. All that is needed is for them to be recovered in leather, and the Ferrari horse sticked in.
    Meh, paint schmaint. It's a driver. My old beater has what I call Neapolitan Rosso paint. LOL!
    Smart move. Better than taking it to the dealer and getting thrashed for $200/hr labor.
    Agree
    Meh. That is related to the coolant temp being way to low, and will be fixed with a new thermostat
    Stooge award
    On the contrary. That has been a well used 348. Out tearing up the roads instead of sitting in a garage dry rotting.

5. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just watched it this morning. Meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOKE likes this.
  7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Agreed. Pretty weak as usual with too much Wizard.

The 348 guys need to throw in on the valve cover gasket replacement. I bet it still leaks after the Wizard does his magic. I wonder why the rear brake kit costs more.o_O At least Ricombi is selling them stuff and getting a plug. The exhaust can wait for the next owner to deal with I suppose. Better change the seats.

carnutdallas likes this.
  8. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ^^Agreed.

Weather is crappy here. Stuck in house. Daughter is binging on Disney+ Marvel Comic Movies. Want to play with new 1M, but not driving in rain

BOKE likes this.
  9. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    #59 vdettore, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    I don’t get the brake thing. The front pads had about 1k miles on them and rear pads were at least 75% left. Maybe he was talking about the rotors. They probably could have been turned but I didn’t think so. Oh well the Wizard probably knows better than I do.

So Ferrari of Atlanta did the engine out 2 years ago and the valve covers are starting to leak. Not enough to drip on the floor so they must have just started. Is this normal for a 348? FoA is a top notch shop. I don’t think they would have done them incorrectly.

cardude442 and BOKE like this.
  10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Don't be puzzled, just part of the show. They never show any real work actually being done. All you ever find out is what it cost with Wizard magic in Imaginationland.:rolleyes:

vdettore likes this.
  11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    $280 for a thermostat? Que? Ricambi shows $146.29. How much is tax in that state? 100%?

If you spin one wheel on an F348, will it turn the part of the gearbox which has the speedo sensor on it?

12. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Wizard vigorish.

13. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    He usually quotes parts and labor combined. Personally, I think the Wizard is a heck of a tech. Military trained A&P. He is not afraid of a challenge and probably more thorough than Tarvish and he has a real business too.

Would love to have him in my back yard. Especially at the deep discounts he gives Hoovie.

I can do a lot, an awful lot, but don’t like to do heavy line stuff. Getting ready to swap interior on my ZR1 to 2012 updates. Will take me 2-3 days.

I have some really good BMW techs that are excellent, can do anything - but human error gets the best of everyone. Had them do the common oil leaks on my V8 BMW 650i, cause they do them all the time. They called me when done and said they had voltage drops and issues. Water damage to Sat/Nav/BT Antenna module. Spent $600 more to still have problem when I got home. Scanned it, cleared codes and fine...2 days later, wife stranded 2 miles from home. I go grab car get it home and no Alternator output. Bad alternator?? 59k miles, never an issue?? So I buy an alternator, do it myself and what do a find!?!?!!! F’ing positive cable nut gone. Wire just sitting on post, loose. Did not need antenna module and did not need alternator, but I did it anyway. Made sure it was right and has been problem free since. And these guys are good, if not great!

So what is the bottom line and reason for the story? EVERY failure I have seen in 25 years of owning shops and being around cars, has 10000000000% been human error! Just like this 348 hack job has all been at the laziness, ineptness, or sloppiness of techs, good and bad. Owners that sought alternative repairs to save money or solve a “problem.”

Wizard suffers H-E too, but not too badly. I am sure, most of what we see is “sanitized.”

It is crazy that nice 348’s are a much as 355’s and not near the car - let flaming begin.....

I hope Hoovie enjoys it. He should not have traded the Benz for a Bently, but that is content driven too. The 348 with fixed up seats, repaired carpeting and better exhaust would be a fine car I am sure. I would pay $30k for that, LOL

14. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You should make a vid for them...

sjd

15. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    They don't have to be. They're pure.

sjd

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #66 Ferrarium, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Nice 348's will be worth more than the 355's over ti me, I know people hate when I say that. The 355's have too many issues in the public's eye you all know what I am talking about so let's no pretend otherwise. For example right or wrong.. https://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-you-should-never-buy-a-ferrari-f355-1706976075

"And this brings us to the Achilles heel of the F355: everything.

Now, you might think I am exaggerating here for comedic effect, as I sometimes do. For example: I once referred to the Lincoln Navigator as a “tremendously impressive, seminal vehicle that forever changed the world of the airport limo driver.” And I once said that the original Mini has “about the same horsepower as an escalator.” And I admit, those were exaggerations. Silly, stupid exaggerations, and I apologize if I offended anyone working in PR for a) the Lincoln Navigator, or b) the escalator.

But my statements about the F355 are not exaggerations. They are the truth. The F355 is a nightmare to own, operate, and maintain. "

I am not saying those articles are right or wrong, that article and all the others like it are probably inflammatory and exaggerated it drives clicks, I get it, but Rob you apparently sold it for these very reasons, you pretty much said so. You definitively did not sell it because it ran too well or was too cheap to maintain did you?

The 355 tried too hard and overreached, in the end the 348 is better and simpler. 355 Sounds better yes I agree. That's about it. Saying the 355 is SO much "better" what ever that means is a long stretch. NOW let let the flaming begin. :)

vdettore likes this.
  17. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The oil leak could be from the cam end seals, on a 1990 car it won't have the updated drain holes in the heads, I've the same problem on mine and the cam seals seep oil even with new seals. To me it's not a huge problem is only a tiny amount of oil.

I didn't dare drill the required holes on the last engine out, maybe next time.

I'm sure there's some info on that somewhere here apparently a jig is required or some precise measuring and drilling.

BOKE likes this.
  18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  19. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Ricambi loans the jig if you're doing it. It's easy (but scary), you just need a long drillbit, and a couple of clever tricks (like a blob of grease on the inside so shavings don't go everywhere. I bought a couple spare bits and can send you one. I might even have pictures somewhere of doing it.

sjd

BOKE likes this.
  20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've started blocking the channels of the OMG-YouWontBelieve-Exotic-Clickbait producers when the suggested vid pops up. Hoping that will teach the algorithm that I've zero interest in such clips.

vdettore likes this.
  21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    We could reach out.......They need to make a video of the work being done.:rolleyes: I have a feeling Omega Auto is a YouTube biz that occasionally works on non- YouTube cars. Just sayin'. The Wizard seems like a good dude, I just would rather see someone working on stuff over someone talking about stuff. I would rather watch the techs work than the service writers do their jobs. More wrenching, less talking about wrenching would be cool.

Car Wizard (David Long)
    OMEGA AUTO CLINIC, LLC
    2015 W. First
    Newton, KS 67114

(316) 283-1531

phrogs likes this.
  22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    You sir, have reached your limit on anti F355 posts for 2019.

Time to go drive, enjoy your car, and impose a self-sabbatical online.

Robb

23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Good stuff @11:45

24. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    For all of the people complaining about "the cost" of owning an older Ferrari, I have a simple cure for you - go buy an airplane and operate that for awhile. Suddenly the car expense is a bargain! (personally, both are rewarding for me, and ya can't take it with ya when you check out).

ernie, vdettore, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  25. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    There isn't a lot of owning. This 348 is the tale of "I Bought the Cheapest FERRARI 348 in the USA, WITH ALMOST 100,000 MILES!"

These aren't "cost of ownership issues" at all. They are the cost of "I Bought the Cheapest FERRARI 348 in the USA, WITH ALMOST 100,000 MILES!" and I want all the stuff to work sort of and the leaks to stop. Throw in some drama and change the seats and on to the next "Hooptie" car. Sell some merch along the way, and it is a score.

Tyler Hoover is a sharp dude of means, he is doing better than most car YouTubers. We all know who he is. Hoovies Garage gives us all a charming peek into the car world in Bugtussle, Kansas. Maybe Shmee needs to spend the winter with the Wizard and Tyler. I think there is a lot of YouTube magic happening at Omega Auto. It is refreshing that car people are still having a good time with whatever they drive. If these YouTube channels encourage someone to play with cars, who really cares about how stupid some of the YouTube creators come off. This crap is hardly educational. It is low brow, free entertainment for people that watch it on a mobile phone.

Jakuzzi and vdettore like this.