Car won't start | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Car won't start

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Nov 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Here's a simple test you can run. Take a long wire of appropriate size, (14-18 gage). Attach it to the solenoid where the ignition switch wire is attached. You can run it through the panel in the boot or under the fender with the inner fender removed. I would use an alligator clip, but you can crimp on a connector and use a nut to hold it in place. Run the wire to the battery. No need to turn the ignition on. Use a starter switch, or simply make contact with the positive pole of the batter. The starter should crank the engine.

If the starter works every time with no hesitation, look at the wring and starter switch as Need4Speed suggested. If the starter isn’t consistently aggressive it’s time to remove it and have it rebuilt – or put in a gear reduction starter.

One hint. The starter is held in by one bold and one bolt and nut. The nut is accessed from under the fender with a ratchet with a number of long extensions. Also, my starter just wasn’t going to come out with the headers in place – so you might have some new gaskets and brass nuts on hand…

Ken

2. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Hi Freeman, I've had to push start the car a couple of times after work. Once rolling she starts right up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thank you Ken. Now that the work week has started, my mechanic said he might be able to have a look. If not, I will give your suggestion a try.

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    after it is started and warmed up, have you tried restarting it with the starter? What about with a jump from another vehicle?

5. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    No, I was just happy to get home. My mechanic informed me today that he can take my car tomorrow so I'll let you all know what is causing the issues.

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Update...it was corroded contacts in my solenoid. I will be picking up the car tomorrow morning. My mechanic says she's starting up every time again. Thanks again to everyone for your inputs.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Nice to hear it was simple!

8. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    That was going to be my next guess :) Glad it wasn't more serious...