Ferrari 550 increased engine noise solved | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 increased engine noise solved

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SE16, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    I have been deeply frustrated with my techs for not being able to detect the increased engine noise inside my 97 Ferrari 550. They were suggesting I had a faulty manifold!

Today I decided to have a look myself and it took all of 3 minutes to diagnose the issue.

The rubber gaitor around the steering column shaft doesn’t fit properly. It has either expanded or was never well engineered. The gap was letting in exhaust noise directly from the exhaust/manifold.

It was so obvious that even with the door open and me kneeling with my head in the footwell I could hear the exhaust noise. Holding the gaitor made the noise go totally.

I added some insulation (furniture foot slippers!) and the noise is totally gone.

The part is NLA as far as I can tell and I will install the insulation more carefully now that I have proven the issue

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, Qavion, 308 GTB and 1 other person like this.
  2. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  3. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
  4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Find a new shop.

5. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Could someone possibly take a picture of the same area of their 550 and send it. I have a feeling that I am missing a part shown (no
    41) on the parts catalogue hence the increased noise.

it’s made from rubber and could have slipped I guess.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I had the same problem when I bought my 550. I was used to this exact problem from my earlier Maserati Biturbo cars. Fixed it temporary with a hose clamp, and forgot about it. Think it is still there...