Mondi Buyers Guide | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondi Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Texas Forever, Nov 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Come to think of it, a clutch in a T doesn’t require engine removal, so sorry about that!

2. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012

Gotcha - where can one learn more about your solution ?

3. r-mm

r-mm Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2012
    The interior is a big part of what attracts me to the T, that and Motronic engine management which I have a large comfort level with from owning Porsches and BMWs of the same vintage. Returning to the interior - is the T a 'facelift' on top of the same basic architecture or are the changes 'deeper'. For instance the evolution from the Carrera 3.2 to the 964/993 is what I would call 'deeper' changes in as much as there were changes to the HVAC system design, ventilation motors and other features that make a substantive difference to usability and comfort.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That’s always the comparison that I make. The 3.2 vs the 964s and the mondial 3.2 vs the T. I know the 964 was 85 percent new under the skin. I don’t know enough about Mondials but I doubt the T was changed as much as a 964 was.

5. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    One advantage with the T interior is that the gauges you need to keep an eye on are right in front of you on the dash. On the older models, the steering wheel can block quick vision of some of them, most notably the oil pressure gauge. The whole dash/console layout is just cleaner and more functional.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats one issue but not the main one. The 3.2 cars were some of the best and most trouble free Ferrari ever built and the 3.4 cars occupy the other end of the spectrum.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks!

I'm discovering with the JH what I already knew, I'm a driver, not a wrench. Trouble free needs to be my mantra. At 67, I don't need no mo troubles!

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think I could drive in a position where the wheel obscured oil pressure in a 3.2.

9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Perhaps it has to do with where we have the steering wheel placed and our height? For me, the stock steering wheel doesn't obscure the oil pressure or any other gauges on my 3.2. The oil pressure/temp, gas, and water temp gauges are all nicely placed to the right of the wheel with the speedometer and tach directly in front. Perfect positioning. Everything is perfectly visible with the exception of the odometer. I'm very pleased with the dash layout of my '88 and like it more than my old air-cooled 911s.

2cam

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Agreed! I purposely sought out a 3.2 for the reasons stated above from a mechanical simplicity perspective. Plus, I really liked the body/interior styling of the 3.2 over the T. It just seemed more true to the original design. From an interior perspective, I like the earlier steering wheel from the 3.2 versus the T, but do like the T seats more. In fact, I've thought of picking up a set of T seats to put in my 3.2.

Agreed on the comparison between the 3.2 to T and 3.2 Carrera to 964 evolutions. Neither was revolutionary, but took an existing design and made some significant updates. Like the T, the 964 gained power steering and a larger displacement motor. The 964 moved away from the torsion bar front suspension to coil-overs for the first time. Much like the impact of the T's reorientation of the motor/trans, the move to coil-overs completely influenced 911 design moving forward. The 964 also incorporated an airbag for the first time and had AC that would actually work. Both received revised FI systems with their new motors. So, yeah the comparisons do seem appropriate.

2cam

11. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I suppose it matters on what feels comfortable for you. If I wanted to lower the steering wheel more into my lap the gauges would be more visible, but then the rest of the feel would be weird. I'm about 5'8", so maybe it helps if you are also six foot three, lol.
    The red digital clock also seems to be obscured in my driving position.

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I'm sure Brian is talking about me. I've made no secret that I own two Mondial 3.2 Coupes:

1. A very late 88 (standard ABS and no center warning light console) with 4500 miles. Red/tan and utterly perfect, essentially a brand new car.

2. An 86, red/tan, with (now) 60K miles. You can read about it in my road trip thread to the FCA Nationals in Scottsdale. Almost all original paint, but has some rock chips and other imperfections. Interior is also original and nicely worn in. I bought it to drive, which is exactly what I'm doing.

#1 is not for sale, and #2 could be for sale, but I'm not advertising it. I'm a dealer, so I can't keep everything. But I'd sell pretty much every single one of my cars, inventory or personal, before I sold #1. :)

Texas Forever and Drewbdo like this.
  13. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I just drove an '88 1200 miles in Texas, it is a 15,000 mile car-essentially new. We drove it hard but appropriately and had a ball. I am surprised I liked it so much. driving position is good for me[5'7], instruments are good although I would have preferred that they were white/black, heater /ac controller is very nice compared to earlier cars with the famous levers, and it was trouble free. It has enough power to have fun without scaring yourself.Malcolm

Texas Forever and Drewbdo like this.
  14. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Luchenbach Texas... Good place for a country song.

(I grew up in Texas.)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is the AC more effective in a Mondial 3.2 than a 308/328? Wondering if the larger cabin and increased distance to the engine might help reduce cabin heat generally.

Jon

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I personally don't know, other folks should be able to answer that here.