Airplane part identification | FerrariChat

Airplane part identification

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by kylec, Nov 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #2 Bob Parks, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    A Globe Swift circa 1946 -1947. I flew an 85 hp Swift on a 98 deg. day with a passenger...Only once.
    Couldn't wait to get it on the ground.

kylec and jcurry like this.
  3. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Surprised you got it off the ground!

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    We took off on runway 22, 5000 ft. long. It had, at that time, a clear unobstructed undeveloped overrun to Sarasota Bay. We had the full runway to run and about 150 ft altitude(maybe) to the bay. Full throttle the whole time and just tickled the wheel to maintain an almost unidentifiable climb ( two feet). We made a a very timid turn to the south and circled over the suburbs and orange groves and mushed down to a rather ungraceful landing. Sarasota Airport at that time was still Sarasota Airbase and retained all of the old buildings and OD paint

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I most likely over estimated the temp, it was probably around 94-95, but it was too hot to fly the Swift. A low time pilot makes more bad decisions than good and this day was full of them. I remember staring at cyl head temp and airspeed and not much else. When we got over the bay the temp dropped a bit and I could put the nose down some to gain airspeed and cool things down a bit but it was minimal. I was criticized for flying over the north of town but it was the shortest way around to the runway. I was lucky that day. Twenty years later I was able to fly in the right seat of a Swift with a 150 Lyc. and enjoyed even minute of it. Fun airplane