812 Market Dynamics | Page 26 | FerrariChat

812 Market Dynamics

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 1881, May 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I wouldn't bet on that. Have any "serial" Ferrari buyers here been asked over the last 1-3 years to give their personal input? Could also be unfortunate timing and external factors but I would not put that much faith in any management of any company IMO

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As deeply thought out as the recent strategy its replacing? :)

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ouch to that picture- I hope the people are OK. The car, very sad, but replaceable.

5. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great post Anir.

Mike

Roland1688 and Bundy like this.
  6. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    When planning and strategising for the future everyone thinks the are right...........until they are not, ask the Kodak board how it played out for them. ;):D

7. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    The current dynamic is very very simple to understand..........too many variants of too many cars in too short a space of time at too high a price. There is only one direction, sadly........

BarryK, Bundy and Roland1688 like this.
  8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I’d add it seems like there are more competitive offerings than ever before from other car companies (Porsche/Mac/Lambo etc), but also regs are slowly making it harder and harder for them to differentiate themselves in key areas (all going turbo/particle filters/hybrid). Add in increases in price and more frequent model releases from Ferrari as mentioned, with regs trying to neuter all cars across the board, will be interesting to see what happens. If the 812 is still having the typical V12 depreciation while being an amazingly unique offering today (mid front engine NA screaming beast), it won’t be better for anything else IMO, only worse unless very desirable and very limited

Ive only bought one new Ferrari after being an admirer from afar, and instead of focusing on the big hit I took I look at it as I paid handsomely for the experience and feel fortunate to be able to do so. Glad I did it once, don’t think I’ll do it again unless something surprising comes out that’s attainable and bucks the trend of cars to come. Went for an older model/used next, and may become a trend for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goblin, tfazio and Bundy like this.
  9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I don’t wonder that people are missing the point about strategy. Ferrari, as all manufacturers, have to adapt to a new reality - low CO2. They either do this or lose their right to exist. We don’t get to determine if this is all sensible or even logical, neither do Ferrari. RACE is undoubtedly a response to this challenge and it’s to Ferraris credit that they have been able to get their listing successfully. For an example of what can go wrong check out Aston.

So that leaves Ferrari with the requirement and the finances to add hybrid models to the existing range. They seem to know that if they just switched everything over to hybrid customers would not follow in enough quantity. So they add new variants of hybrid and non-hybrid. This probably takes customer experience to a more normal level of depreciation. Take a guess at whether Ferrari consider that a price worth paying for survival...

The silver lining is that the speculators have disappeared for now and we can get back to “if you like it, buy it“. And don’t expect it to come for free. I recall reading plenty of posts here crying out for precisely that. Perhaps Ferrari listen to fchat more than we think.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All sounds logical but the Ferrari strategy is simply making money any way they can. That was their old strategy as well but they used to care about the brand heritage and being very exclusive. Public company does not car what they sell or who they sell to.

I assume speculators are dropping due to the excessive pricing and the fact anyone can buy one but there are a lot of 812, Lusso and 488 out there that had to be bought to speculate on a limited car. For the future, hybrids give way to all electric and Ferrari will not be the OEM on those motors. Differentiation will be that much harder. I don't see a way to reverse things especially if you are going to need the cash to support racing at the highest levels. Secretly hoping it all blows up and they go private and exclusive again somehow.

Roland1688 and Gh21631 like this.
  11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There are several of us who feel same.

Roland1688, roma1280 and deltona like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This is very true.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you look at the current cars with the highest depreciation (Lusso & 812) you can argue that they are overpriced from the start and the market rapidly adjusts them back to something more in line with what they offer. If the 812's were going out the door for $350K, I doubt you would see them lose $100K so quickly. Same for the Lusso. These cars are beautiful, unique and special. Essentially no competition with what they offer but the starting price is just too high and the market adjusts accordingly. My local dealer is getting new 812's in almost weekly and I am interested but I would be a fool to buy one new at this point. No only would I lose $100K overnight but there are no other VS cars that this would get me into. The 812VS will be so limited and I wont make that cut even with a new purchase. This is a common sentiment that will drive pricing down hard before it levels out in a couple years for these models.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    >except for the “beautiful “ part.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can understand the sentiment, but this doesn't make sense. If that were to happen, no one would want them. And if they were to private in good times, then someone would be even more profit motivated than now... I don't think we should kid ourselves that they didn't have profit pressures before. Lets come back to this in a few years and see how things look. In the mean time- are they making desirable cars or not? For me the answer is absolutely yes!

Lukeylikey, roma1280 and KenU like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All companies have profit pressure except the federal government. Seeking profit is essential to making a good product. In my fantasy, Ferrari goes broke, gets picked up and passed along until someone with the passion that was Ferrari rescues them and creates a boutique product. Of course not reality. To answer your question about being desirable, I would sadly say I don't think so - not for me anymore. Its mostly because of the designs, silent motors and the price. Something about $400k+ for a production turbo v8 or $500k for a production V12 with negative styling. The only other V12 is a production based F12/812 with no windshield and not street legal for between $1.5M-$1.7M. The future is also being promised as all hybrid and then all electric. As you say we should come back to this in a few years and see how things look.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I also think there has been an educational shift (can’t think of a better term at the moment). The “magic” of Ferrari (and all storied marques) has been eroded by instant access to “all things Ferrari” on the internet. Years ago there were car magazine stories, occasionally glimpsing one at a car show or even more rare see one blasting down the street in the wild...truly awe-inspiring events for car lovers.
    Now you can watch endless YouTube videos on all aspects of Ferrari, from inside the factory to details about every model. Drag races between brands by idiots and arguing over .01 sec difference in 0-62 mph times. Endless Youtuber videos of punks with way too much money doing bizarre things with the cars, and wheels, and body kits, and wraps, and social-influencers trying to show off. We talk online endlessly about “brand management,” and depreciation residuals, service problems, and changing emissions/sound regulations as well as the negative sentiment regarding a wasteful hobby.
    We are “paying attention to the man behind the curtain.”
    With the erosion of wanderlust into the world of Ferrari we are left with, what “product” are we paying for?
    When that magic begins to fade, everything else will follow since this is primarily a brand shored up by irrational “magic” dreamers.

Nero1, BarryK, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.
  18. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    #643 Hex, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    I certainly agree with much of this, but in spite of this, I believe that the Ferrari mystique, which was built up over decades, and the incredible cars they build, will continue to occupy a special place in the car world. And, even though Ferrari has been through many iterations, from the beginning there has always been, is now, and will always be only one Ferrari.

19. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    That assumes that all the undoubted pedigree counts for something as the business model evolves. Think Kodak, Olympus, Blackberry etc. All of F history is tied up in elite aspirated engines - no guarantee that the same sense of aspiration and history will support other methods of propulsion. And if the product distinction comes from eg comfort, navigation, multi media and driving aids those are actually the things that Ferrari are RUBBISH at. My Cayenne Coupe MMI feels 15 years ahead of my 812 and Pista.

20. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    So, ADAS, Front Cam, Back Radar, etc. suck?

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    That's a big IF, and, for me, it was one of the most attractive things about the 458S, best in class engine, key in the ignition, just a car, no nonsense (nav, comfort seats, multimedia, intrusive driving aids), F1 transmission, and rev counter lights on the wheel, pure bliss. 812SF, with race seats, steering wheel lights, fantastic V12, perfect. And, no radio, forget the radio, forget GPS/Nav, unwelcome, just a car is where it's at.

If you are seeking a supercar for how much comfort and nannies it can bring, well, we have really different ideas what a supercar needs to bring to have a party.

The 458S and 812 are super comfortable compared to older school cars.

Comparing any Ferrari to a truck (Cayenne) just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

If MMI/etc are where you are, a supercar is in whole 'nother direction.

The new Ferrari interior with all screens, no dials, heads up, no thanks.

But, if I have correctly understood, the 812 replacement will be more geared to your liking, so, stand by for that, I'll stay back in time :)

sampelligrino likes this.
  22. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I personally think ADAS & back radar suck big time. I find cameras useful but I’d happily give them up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Howbout Surround View and Blindspot Detection, which is in the Back Radar package? Are these on your car? If so, do you find them useful on your 812?

24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I don’t have these gizmos on my 812 or any other car I’ve ever owned. Thankfully, I’ve never had any sort of wreck on the street in 37 years of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ajr550 and Elisesko like this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My DD has everything you can think of except start-stop. I thought all of it was helpful when new. Now the only two I leave on are auto high beams and head-up display. The display I leave enabled because its too boring of a car to enjoy driving so having the numbers and gadgets projected gives me something to look at. All the other auto stuff I don't remember how to enable anymore. The auto braking is downright dangerous and cannot be disabled.

On a true exotic sports car you need none of it. I don't use the sensors or cameras or navigation or pit speed. Poking the right petal and staring ahead for danger is honestly all there is time for 98% of the time. The sound and the fury keep me focused and coming back. Head up display would distract me, navigation not needed since I like getting lost in that car but auto high beams are as necessary as intermittent wipers (except I don't drive in the rain).

Napoli, Bundy and Elisesko like this.