308/328 cam belt drive bearings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308/328 cam belt drive bearings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RGigante, Feb 8, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondial86-71

Mondial86-71 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lippincott
  2. Mondial86-71

Mondial86-71 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lippincott
  3. Mondial86-71

Mondial86-71 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lippincott
  4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Surgery! Excellent, Ryan.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You did not take the oil pan off? Damn, that is … persistent. Borderline on insanity.

6. Mondial86-71

Mondial86-71 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lippincott
    Oil pan came off to remove the oil pickup tube. The oil pickup tube studs had to come out to slide the front cover off.it took hours of laying on my back to do it but that part was accomplished. The gasket clean up is next then time to install inner bearings,seals and outer bearings. Hopefully it goes back together without any problems! I am a little leery of sliding the cover on with the cam seals installed but am more scared putting them in after the front cover is on.have you ever done the cam seals? Any hints?
    Thanks
    Ryan

7. Dr-Boost

Dr-Boost Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    IAN THOMPSON
    Hi Ryan, great work, I hope you got it sorted.

When putting the cam timing cover back on along with the lower pullys, did you have to 'time' them with any specific marks or can they be put on in any rotational orientation when meshing with the crank?

Thanks,

Ian

8. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    FWIW-MUCH easier to do this job with a "blind hole bearing puller" kit....readily available, allows job to be done properly with cover insitu....

2dinos likes this.
  9. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    My memory has returned to functional today!

This kit is available from German tool co: WURTH-not cheap, but I've done this job over 100 times on this class of engine with this tool.

A WARNING here is appropriate: the 90 degree pins which are inserted in between the balls locked in the races by rivet secured spacing "races", is a very TIGHT fit, and, enormous forces are being applied to an extremely small surface area-one which is MUCH softer than is the material of the bearing....
    That said, these two "pulling arms/jaws", are, effectively, disposable components of the tool/process.
    I have done this for decades, so I can get 5-10 pairs of bearings pulled, before, these parts become "suspect"/prone to rupture and thus, require replacement.
    So, I advise anyone who considers buying the tool set, additionally acquire a half dozen spare PAIRS of the appropriate sized puller/jaws.
    As any tool of this type requires an element of acquired feel and familiarity, don't be surprised if you beak a PAIR on the FIRST bearing...i
    !t IS an acquired skill, after all....
    FWIW

10. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    I went to a great deal of effort today to remove my early type (non sealed) outer cam belt drive bearings with the idea that I would replace them with the newer design sealed type, but after reading various threads I am now questioning if that is advisable or even possible.

Has anyone done the open to sealed bearing conversion?

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #36 Steve Magnusson, Feb 19, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Not really possible to relocate the outer bearing without a huge number of (unobtanium) parts and a lot of (difficult) work -- just replace your outer open bearings every 30K miles or so. It wouldn't be desirable (nor better) to substitute a sealed bearing in the existing outer open bearing position -- having a sealed bearing in that location is worse than having an open bearing in that location (with the same geometry, an open bearing in a recirculating oil bath is far better than a sealed bearing lubricated with grease).

prober34 likes this.
  12. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Thanks Steve. When I got the bearings out I saw the oil feed hole to the front of each bearing which pretty much told me I would be going back with an open bearing. As my car is approaching 40k miles it probably wasn't a waste of time as the seals were leaking and it looked as if the bearings had been exposed to water somewhere along the way (slightly rusty sludge look on the outside of the bearing).