812 lightweight lithium ion battery | FerrariChat

812 lightweight lithium ion battery

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Hex, Dec 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Has anyone changed the battery in their 812 to a lightweight lithium ion battery like those produced by anti-gravity or braille?

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Maybe I’m missing the point here but are you really looking to save weight with a battery for a car that weighs c. 1700kg... ? I’d be amazed if anyone could notice the difference before and after!

3. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I can see only one reason: A lithium battery may be better from a perspective if you do not drive your Ferrari every day - my FF can not handle more than 7 to 10 days without charger attached, and YES that happens when I am out traveling. Three weeks or about 22 days happens every year - first year with owning the FF well do I have to say anything more? dead battery when I got back... Since then it is on charger every time I travel, just to be sure :)

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The lithium in the Pista is more finicky than the AGM in my other cars... I'm not sure I'd want to make the trade. Although- there is a company called anti-gravity? Thats pretty cool!

5. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    #5 Hex, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    I have a lightweight inconel exhaust on the way and between the exhaust and a lightweight battery, weight savings are more than 100 pounds. However, I’m not just looking for weight savings as the lithium ion batteries hold a charge longer than lead acid batteries. 100+ pounds weight savings across the back, middle, and front of the car with improved sound and longer battery life, what’s not to like? This is just about having fun while fine tuning an already fabulous car.

350MH83, LARRYH, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  6. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you can't be driving them, the next best thing is working on them and polishing them! I'll on a movie on in the garage just to admire them.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you are thinking of swapping that battery in the 812 then make darn sure of the dimensions - especially height. I don't know about compatibility over time with the car's alternator though. I think you may wind up being low on the voltage to charge when running. BTW for reference a good AGM for the 812 would weight about 56 lbs.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Also you might need a different charger IF you go lithium....

9. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Why would I be low to charge from the alternator?

10. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Yes. I love driving the car but it sometimes rains for weeks straight where I live so it's a good time to work on the car.

11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Ditto. Pista LI is very quick to discharge if not on the tender and they aren’t straightforward to bring back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    Why would there be a problem with the car's alternator?

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    AGM requires a slightly different voltage than standard lead acid batteries- I'm not sure where LiON batteries fall. I think you will want to be sure about this.

Bundy and Solid State like this.
  14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As Caeruleus11 pointed out, the charging requirements are different for each popular battery type - wet lead acid, AGM and lithium. When switching you have to remember that the charger in the engine bay (alternator) was designed for the battery you are replacing. In some cases, the alternator puts out a different voltage than the charger recommended for the new battery. This may impact the level of charge the battery experiences when driven as opposed to when it is on the tender matched to the new battery. Wet acid, AGM and lithium batteries all have different charging requirements. Visit the CTEK site and read about different charge voltage, steps and current: https://smartercharger.com/pages/charger-selection-chart

15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Also consider, per my service advisor, the newer Ferraris use a "Smart Alternator"... I say the car was designed for AGM, probably best to stick with it.

Bundy and Solid State like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Let's take it from the top.

1. There will not be a fitment issue. It uses a group 48 battery, like the 458 and 488. The Braille i48CS is a group 48 of the correct size.

2. The battery will charge properly on the alt. These batteries are made specifically to work in these applications. They have proven themselves many times in both the 458 and 488.

3. It WILL need a lithium specific charger. CTek sells these.

4. A Braille i48CS will not have the same issues as the Pista batteries. The Pista batteries are grossly undersized in terms of capacity. I suppose Ferrari wanted to offer a lithium option which is fairly expensive, but alas chose the smallest and cheapest thing they could get away with. Business as usual.

4. The equivalent AGM Ah capacity of the i48CS is huge. Almost twice that of an equivalent quality AGM. There are guys here whom went from only being able to have the car sit for a day or two on the stock battery, to over a month on a Braille.

5. Weight savings alone will not be noticable.

6. The cars electrical system will love you for it. The worst thing for these systems are low voltage situations, and the slightly higher voltage combine with a super high CCA and PCA capacity, means that it is much less likely to encounter a low voltage situation during startup.

The major downside is of course price. The Braille B7548 AGM is also worth a look.

Boomhauer and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I would also like to point out that a Pista fitted with the OEM lithium option, uses the same alt. as a Pista fitted with the OEM AGM battery. Furthermore, this is also the alt. used in the 488 GTB/Spider and the 812SF. If this alt. had not been compatible with a lithium battery, I would imagine that Ferrari would use a different alt.

19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Don't all Pista come with lithium battery?

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    812 uses H8 battery size and the mid engines (458 etc) use an H6 - very different dimensions and electrical specs. An alternator that charges an AGM especially a smart alternator does not have the same charging specs as a lithium charger which is why you need a separate charger for lithiums.

Also, I have changed the battery in my F12 which is same battery compartment as 812 and there is no doubt that even a few millimeters in height will not fit. I spent hours wrestling that baby in there and believe even the variance in dimensions of batteries of the same group are enough to make the replacement miserable if not impossible. I would not even consider it unless it was smaller in every dimension and could charge fully with 13.5 volts from the alternator.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I did say a lithium battery needs a different charger, but how is that a problem? Just buy one.

Secondly, the 488, and Pista uses the same alternator, no matter whether it's lithium equipped from the factory or not.

The alternator can charge with a voltage of 14 volts. I asked Braille about this, and they said it is more than plenty. If the alternator in these cars would not work with a lithium battery, how come it is used in the Pista?

As for fitment. Are you just assuming the F12 and 813 share batteries, or do you know for a fact? Because I looked up the part numbers, and both the 458, 488 and 812 uses p/n 312188. I looked up the F12 and that shares p/n 312187 with the Lusso, FF, Cali T and Porto, but not the 812. The 312187 is a 95Ah battery, but 312188 is a 70ah. The 812 now comes with p/n 326782 which is an 80Ah battery, not the 95Ah battery from the F12.
    The 812 and F12 does NOT share the mount either. The F12 uses p/n 272263 and the 812 uses p/n 808727.

So based on all of this, I don't think you're right. All the part numbers tells me that the 812 uses a group 48 H6 battery, like the 458 and 488.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. It's an option. It comes with a grossly undedsized 60Ah AGM as standard.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    That must be different by region. I believe in the US the lithium battery is standard in the Pista.

Napoli and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Here is my take.If the alternator is designed to charge at 14 v or higher while driving, then the Li battery will be very well charged.If the car is driven frequently then there may not be much need to trickle charge with a Li Ion trickle charger. Don’t use the wrong charger as this can ruin the Li battery. Also if the car is sitting and not driven— when locked and the alarm active there will be greater parasitic losses than if left unlocked.

If the alternator is programmed to charge at a lower level when driving, then the Li battery will need to be topped off with the trickle charger.

One can judge if the Li Battery is insufficiently charged by checking there battery gauge at start up. Should read 13v. Make sure that headlights and HVAC are off, otherwise the voltage will reflect that drawdown.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think I have gotten it mixed up with the F8.
    At any rate, the 488 GTB/Spider, 488 Pista and F8 T and F8 Spider all share the szme alternator p/n 309645. And like I said, if Ferrari can use it with both an AGM and a LiIon battery, I cannot for the life of me, see why it will pose a problem to install a Braille LiIon battery. I contacted Braille today and asked, here's what I was told. First off, the tech explained that the variable output alternators are very common now. Not only because of performance, but also due to emissions. It is not an issue that it varies the output, as long as max output is 13.8 volts or higher, and average is 13.6v. I got a long explanation from him regarding this, and the jist of it is that a LiIon takes a charge much more efficiently. I then contacted my brother who's a master tech with Bosch Powertools, and he backed up the charging efficiency theory of the lithium batteries. Bosch Powertools and Bosch Automotive works very closely in battery, alternator and charging technology, as they develop and need the same technology.
    Both guys agreed that a large AGM with a peak voltage of 12.6 volts will need just as much power to charge, as a LiIon with a 13.8 volt peak level. This also supports why both Ferrari and Porsche uses the same alternators for cars fitted with AGM as well as LiIon batteries.

junc likes this.