Cromodora 15" rims on a GT4? | FerrariChat

Cromodora 15" rims on a GT4?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pero, Nov 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I have the possibility to buy a set of Cromodora rims 7 1/2 "Lx15". On the car now are the Superformance16". They look absolutely ok, but it is clear that they are not period correct.
    (I have a set of the original magnesium 14" but not in very good shape.)
    Opinions? Would the 15" rims fit? Look better?
    /Peter

2. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    The 5 spoke style. Cromodora and Ferrari text cast on the rim. Original. What model are they from? 400? The seller doesn't know.
    /Peter

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Peter, do you have some pictures of the wheels you’re referring to?

4. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Is there any F part number or offset information shown on the backside of the spokes? (I'd guess 400/400i, too -- if so, they would move the tire centerline outward about 16mm compared to stock 308 wheels. Other threads say 400 wheels have a -5mm offset, and stock 308 wheels are about +11mm offset.)

6. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I have asked the seller for more info and is awaiting his reply. Really tempted just to buy and test. Looking for offset info on the Superformance I have but there is no info on their homepage. Guess that they have followed the +11 mm.
    /Peter

7. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    This is what he could find on the backside of the rims, 79 and the text SOC. Would need some help with what this means compared to thd rims I have. My knowledge in this area is very limited.
    /Peter

View attachment 2860782

Attached Files:

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's a date of manufacture marking -- so the year (1979) seems right for 400/400i. If you can have the Seller measure the backspace and the frontspace of the wheel you can calculate the offset yourself to be more sure:

offset = (backspace - frontspace) / 2

But you'd still need to decide if increasing the front track and rear track of the vehicle by ~32mm feels and looks right for you (increasing the rear track a little isn't a big deal, but increasing the front track is a bit of a steering geometry sin). Is refinishing your 14" 308 wheel set just too costly?

9. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R

Ok, thank you Steve. I really liked the idea with 15" but now I think it is too uncertain. And I definitely do not want them wide in front, back is ok. So my decision now is not to go this way with the 15" rims. My 14" are not that good. Asked around about five-six years ago but got very vague answers if a company could renovate them or not, and yes it was expensive. Looking around now I saw that Superformance have started selling 14" aluminium replicas and that could perhaps be a way to go for me to get the look right on the GT4.
    Thank you for your kind help to make my decision easier!
    /Peter