Flare Observations | FerrariChat

Flare Observations

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Dec 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I’ve been observing the differences between a standard flared Dino vs the optional wider flat flare (“Flares&Chairs”). Seems as though the optional flare used the upper tangent to the fender to make the cut and mating. The standard flare looks visually closer to the tire and even and concentric to the wheel. The optional flare opens up at the top making it look uneven and too much gap between the tire and flare. I’d love to see more examples to see if this is consistent with how they came. Top image is with the standard flares. Lower two are with the wider flares.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I agree with your critique. The flat flare should have been welded to the existing angled flare. Instead they cut the angled flare off and welded on the flat flare thus opening up the wheel wells further.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Here are a few more comparisons. Grey Dino has the standard flares (image flipped to be in same direction as the others).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman,
    I always thought the optional flares looked out of place with the Dino's voluptuous curves, looking much like barrel hoops welded to the fenders. If their intent was to appear to widen the Dino's front and rear tracks, I think they accomplished the inverse, by making the wheels and tires look narrower and more recessed (just my opinion). I think the final "insult' is the way the lower-body black paint aft of the rear wheel wheels is cut off by the bottoms of the rear fender flares. I've just never understood the appeal of these flares, and wouldn't want them on my Dino, even if they could be easily substituted for the standard flares. Overall, do you believe that the flat flares enhance or detract from a Dino's appearance? Your opinion as a high-echelon automobile designer would be of great interest to Dino lovers everywhere! Fred

LARRYH likes this.
  5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #5 4CamGT, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Thanks Fred for your perspective! For my eyes, they look added on. Not in a good way. Looks like it was done in the workshop with flat sheet steel. I would have taken the beautifully developed standard flare and enlarged it to make it look intentional and in harmony with the Dino body. Normally you’d want to close up the gap and space around the wheel/tires and pull out flush with the flares for a great stance.

LARRYH likes this.
  6. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The standard Dino looks so flawless I wonder who came up with the idea of the flares originally.

UroTrash likes this.
  7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I would bet it wasn’t at Pininfarina!

UroTrash likes this.
  8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    And I guess I am biased too, albeit in the opposite direction. IMO the flat flares, especially at the rear, look like amateur boy-racer afterthoughts. Sorry if I offend, but that's how they look to me.

NYC Fred likes this.
  11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Tony, your car is a gorgeous example of a Dino! Of course the flare option is rare and desirable no question. I was staring at them through my eyes and then I noticed how they were attached to the fender which was quite odd in that it created a non-concentric opening around the tire. With more examples shown, we’ll probably be able to tell whether the wider flare was originally installed or done afterwards. Probably one of the reasons a Dino with flares look like the suspension is set too high. Here I lowered a flared Dino to balance the tires in the wheel opening. I would also experiment with spacing the wheels out a bit to get a great stance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks - it does depend at what angle you look at the car, from the front it has a rather "mean" look which I like.

My understanding is that the standard wing was cut just above the start of the flare on the non flared wing. A new extended section was then welded in situ which makes the car appear to be too high. I am guessing they tried just fitting the flared extension to a standard wing and it didn't work out with the wider wheels.

I am sure you have already seen this photo on your travels but it shows a flared car on the assembly line.

Its never really bothered me, I am more worried about the height of speed bumps now, at goodwood revival I had about 20mm clearance but the lowered version does looks good.

How did you lower the car, adj shocks?

Best

Tony

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #13 4CamGT, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019

Photoshop! I adjusted your ride height and tracked the wheels out a bit!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Cool, that was a cheap mod :)

We have big pot holes here so the chances of the wing surviving a trip out is pretty slim

Best

tony

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Kind of in the category of a sexy woman in high heels! Not pragmatic but.....

16. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    #06458 second pic, what a stunning car...