Lewis and ferrari talks | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lewis and ferrari talks

Discussion in 'F1' started by Jackie and bill, Nov 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, Ferrari *does* have a history of grabbing drivers that do well --- but only when they're in a dominant car.
    (And then they accomplish nothing at Ferrari.)

But, given the number of fiascos Ferrari has pulled in the last decade, why would Ham want to go to the red cars?
    (Only if he thinks he's losing it, and wants someone else to blame.)

If Ham really wanted a challenge, I could see him going back to McLaren, to try to bring that team up.
    But McLaren already has two good *young* drivers. I'm not sure they'd want him back. ;)

william likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I maybe all wrong of course, but I can't see Hamilton ever going to Ferrari; I think it would be a culture shock for him!
    It's possible that in 2021, McLaren can do well with Mercedes engines (sorry, power units).
    The recovery at Woking started this year, and I expect much from Seidl's guidance to improve the results.
    But like you say, if McLaren is happy with Sainz and Norris ...

DGS likes this.
  3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Same thing was said when he moved from mclaren to Mercedes in 2013
    I am sure he is dreaming to end his career at Ferrari but he will deeply check the binotto team before a move

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You know, being at McLaren, Hamilton had plenty of time to examine Mercedes at close range.
    They had been partners for a long time, and most of the Mercedes staff was familiar to him.
    So, he didn't really step in the unknown, he knew their potential and resources.
    Ferrari is a different proposition; they don't have much to show at the moment.
    Hamilton would need to be really optimistic to think he can succeed in turning the team around where Alonso and Vettel have failed.

ChadR likes this.
  5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You are right but don't underestimate champion's ego !

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I hope that, for his own sake, he doesn't try that move.
    I predict headaches if he does.

Terra likes this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    If I say Mercedes retirement in 2021 ( as a team )
    Toto Wolff and Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari the same year you will said I'm a fool surely ..
    But ..

Terra and Jackie and bill like this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, I would say you have a lot of imagination.
    It took Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, and Pat Byrne 5 years before Michael Schumacher had a championship winning car.
    But Schumacher was a younger man than Hamilton who will be 36 in 2021.

Nuvolari likes this.
  9. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    If Hamilton can take his engineer and strategy team with him, then joining Ferrari would be less of a risk. Even when Ferrari had the speed this season, they were let down in other areas. Assuming they have the speed in 2021 (and 2020 for that matter), the other areas would still have a question mark against them - regardless of who is sitting in the car.

jimmyb likes this.
  10. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You’re not wrong about that.

11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Just middle aged forum members of this forum stated that. Piero Ferrari has always confirmed he wanted Hamilton driving for the Scuderia.

Hamilton & Vettel will swap seats in 2021.

12. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    It doesn't seem that way according to Toto. This was in relation to handling Bottas' contract better after the 2020 season. He acknowledges there could be driver swaps coming.
    As far as the topic, I don't think it'll happen for a few reasons. Lewis has an ideal thing going on with Mercedes. He's the top driver and in the almost prime position to win every race. He's got 5 titles with them now, likely in a good position to keep going. Ferrari meanwhile, are having pit strategy issues amplified by in-house driver drama, all despite an equally strong car. He might see Charles & his future as another Nico-drama filled season. I also don't know if he'd want to break Schumacher's further records with the legend's own team, rather putting Mercedes up there as an all-time winner with Ferrari.

However, I also wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. Lewis may have a deep down desire to drive for them and make some sort of history with them, placing that above money, wins, etc. with Merc. It's not like he owes anything left to Mercedes anyway & vice versa, they've brought each other 5/6 world titles. I don't see Lewis being at the end of his career an issue either. Charles is clearly the future of the team, Lewis would likely only be there for a few years til' Ferrari find another complimentary piece to Charles, keeping both team cars podium-bound in the mean time. The only issue there again, is if Lewis is willing to accept Charles as the priority (& star) of the team, but I doubt it; he'll want his last few seasons spent continuing for podiums and wins.

Terra likes this.
  13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't speak ill of the dead ..... oh wait, you are !!! :p

Carry on you "deceiptful" "looser" :D

lorenzobandini likes this.
  14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hopefully it is only talk. We need serious technical help in terms of the chassis and aero. Drivers are not the problem as in 2021 it will be Leclerc’s team.....would rather have Ricci over Hammy anyways....

stavura and jmillard308 like this.
  15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Alonso may be back at Ferrari in 2021 ;)
    Indy 500 this year.
    He still has the eye of the tiger

16. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Looking at the entire Ferrari team performance today, why on earth would Hamilton want to finish his career with such losers? Leclerc could barely get to the finish line before Bottas overtook him. Vettel looked like the next journeyman Kimi. And the whole team had no fire in its belly. Plus the screw up with Leclerc's fuel load. Mercedes on the other hand, had already won all the prizes and had nothing to prove, but they performed at 110%...everyone of them. The truth is that Ferrari wins when they are lucky and the other teams are unlucky...or when they are managed by non-Italians. Looks like 2020 with be more of their famous "year of rebuilding" excuses. At this point, even if Mercedes didn't compete next year, Ferrari would be fighting for third place. Ferrari has become like aging rock stars, lip syncing to their old recorded hits. Have to go back to watching WRC on YouTube.

Terra and william like this.
  17. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I don't know, he seemed on-game all weekend at 32. And although it was not all in F1, the great Mario Andretti raced pretty well into his late 40's.

Terra likes this.
  18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It is difficult to say what Ferrari have in place for next year already. The changes in strategy management will be key if they hope to improve. LH is clever to keep this “open” but Mercedes are stronger overall. His motivation may include change to aid in the enjoyment of F1 but why risk the winning or potential for it. Sitting P3 or worse will not last with him ?

william likes this.
  19. #69 lorenzobandini, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Their name is william.

'Curious.....why do you circumnavigate my questions?
    What position do you hold with Ferrari?
    What do your superiors think of your posting such opinions of "your" team in public?

william likes this.
  20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If Ham went to Ferrari Charles would leave. Charles is a young guy who has proved himself in his 1st year at Ferrari and I don't think he would tolerate being #2 for more than another year. Actually, I don't think Ferrari will regard him as #2 next year. Ferrair's future is with Charles, not a 36 year old, multiple DWC who wants to drive a Ferrari before retiring.

Jack-the-lad, Giallo 550 and william like this.
  21. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. I want the guy who broke up with his girlfriend for Ferrari, not the guy who wants Ferrari to be another notch in his belt.

ChadR likes this.
  22. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Aren't you the one who often uses the term "chinning" as a verb on Fchat when comparing the relative performance of current F1 drivers?

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Hamilton would only be there as a farewell season and fulfill driving for F1’s historic team. I think a) rumors of Merc leaving F1 would need to be true and b) Ferrari would still need to be towards the front of the grid.

24. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    I think Lewis should stay at Mercedes and finish his career strong. I think Ferrari needs to back one of its own which it has in Charles. Red Bull made that decision last season in Max which is why Dani left. I don't see any upside to Lewis joining Ferrari.

william and ktu like this.
  25. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Ferrari is in the midst of that now though, and it hasn't been great. You got a guy who did break up with his girlfriend for Ferrari because of 1 bad year together, despite the previous 5 years being historical success.