help make this the definitive LED upgrade thread - NEED INFO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

help make this the definitive LED upgrade thread - NEED INFO

Discussion in '348/355' started by Badabing!, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    I too would like to up grade my '99 355 by substituting the OEM flasher relay for the Scuding TSL. LEDs without hyper flash and modern programmable turn signals sound good to me. However, I don't see how to plug the Scuding 7 pin TSL into the OEM 5 pin flasher relay socket (Owner's Manuel section L, page 20, relay A). Am I missing something?

2. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    #27 Badabing!, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Look at the actual flasher relay in your car. It may be 7 pin. Mine was. Look at the pictures I posted earlier in this thread. I don't think the part # listed in the owners manual is correct. Maybe it's for euro cars.

There are 2 relays. 1 is perforated like a speaker. That's the clicker. You want the other one. The flasher.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yes. You're making a common mistake of confusing the 5 pin daylight flasher relay in the forward luggage compartment for the 7 pin hazard/turn module (located near the driver's door hinge). All F355's have 7 pin hazard/turn modules.

The hazard/turn relay is not shown in the owner's manual.

When looking for the hazard/turn module, don't confuse it with the accoustic repeater next to it (on earlier cars).

4. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

I found most people are making mistake of where the relay is. It's the one under the driver side dash next to the hood release beneath the carpet. It is screwed to the chassis and you need to remove it to disconnect.

5. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Badabing, Qavion and ruey 220. Thank you for your generosity with your expertise. Everything you have said has turned out to be 100% correct. I have now located 2 black tubes (look like unheated shrink wrap tubes) running down from behind the dash (near the round temp sensor) to underneath the carpet. I have removed the footrest dead pedal and begun pulling away the carpet (surprisingly difficult). Reaching behind the carpet I can finger follow the wires about half a hand deep. The wires are turning rearward toward the hood release lever. At this point it looks like I'm going to have to pull the carpet completely out and away to reveal where the tubes go - but before I do and get in over my head up the wrong ally, I would like to ask you - does it sound like I'm on the right track?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #31 Qavion, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Not sure what you're trying to do other than find the hazard/turn module, Watkins?

The relay/module is at the top of the carpet line, almost directly above the front luggage compartment release (just slightly forward, under the dash). You will have to prise (just) the top of the carpet downwards to access the module mounting bolt. If there is a washer under the bolt, make sure it doesn't slip behind the carpet (ugh).

In Shurik's photo below, the module has been pulled downwards and forwards of its normal resting place.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146643155/

[​IMG]

The sliver of yellow at the top of the carpet line (aft of the wiring harness) is probably the grommet where the bolt is inserted.

What is your car's assembly number? It will determine if you have an additional accousitic repeater module (just forward of the hazard/turn module).

ruey220 likes this.
  7. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Got it! Found and removed the 7 pin flasher. Thanks to Qavion, ruey220 and Badabing. Here are a few observations.
    Flasher is immediately below the round temp. sensor and above carpet line. Bend carpet down 1/2 inch. You should see the brass mounting bracket with a screw and washer securing it. Flasher is riveted to the top of bracket. You will be using a pointed Phillips head screwdriver to unscrew the bracket screw and later a flat blade screwdriver to pry the flasher from the socket and wire cutters to cut a zip tie so - cover jeopardized leather with duct tape in event of a slip. Do not drop the screw. My bracket was zip tied to adjacent wires. It has to be cut. My flasher is green. The socket has squeeze releases that look like they need to be squeezed to release the flasher. Not so. The squeeze release does not grip the flasher. The flasher is very tight in the socket. I used a flat blade screwdriver around the edges to carefully pry them apart. Don't let screwdriver touch pins. Thanks everyone.

8. Theadonnan

Theadonnan Rookie

Jan 3, 2021
    So this is a long shot, but I modified the seven pin relay in my BMW z3 M Coupe to work with led turn signal bulbs, and it appears some Ferrari models use a similar or same relay. Any interest in a simple solution that isn’t a $200+ computer? The process adds a diode to your oem hazard relay.

Davidspop and Cole_ve like this.
  9. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Yes, very interested.

10. Cole_ve

Cole_ve Rookie

May 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Cole B