Mondial t engine- left bank running rich | FerrariChat

Mondial t engine- left bank running rich

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Wingnut, Dec 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Hey All,
    Just wanted to pass this on. The left bank of my 1990 Mondial t (5-8) began running so rich that combustion completely stopped. Hardly wanted to run at all. Fuel odor coming out of the exhaust.
    All 5-8 plugs wet, gas smell when pulled and sniffed. Carbon black coated. Cat Conv. not happy on the left side either.
    Right side (1-4) plugs looked as they should, clean, no carbon. I was going to first switch ignition coils when I found new Bosch ignition coils at RockAuto for.....$42.79, their part # 0221503407. With tax and shipping, total came to $53.14. I ordered one, just got it, put it in, and now the engine runs like a champ!. Ran down the road about 10 miles, pulled a #5 plug and saw immediate improvement in the look of the plug, like the carbon was cleaning off after that short run. My engine now runs so much better!
    Just ordered another for the right side.
    At this price, I would recommend to all Mondial t and 348 owners to put in new Bosch coils if running rich is a problem, or just keep on hand for the future. The r&r swap to the new coil is easy on the Mondial t- remove 4 screws and the electrical connect. If my coil was failing with only 26K on the odometer, yours might be next.
    Just my 2 cent fix-it for today.

DocBasilone, Wade and Drewbdo like this.
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Very good info, thanks!

3. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Thanks for this very useful post. I have been having intermittent Bank 5-8 codes for a while now, and was just about to do the same replacement before this spring arrives. The other bank 1-4 also once went into limp mode a few years ago, probably also due to ignition coil.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #4 Wade, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Made by Lisle as well.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The best way to clean plugs I've found is with a propane torch. It makes them like new again.

When my wires went bad, I tested the bad cylinder with a Lisle inline spark tester. It showed that there was spark. But the spark wasn't strong enough. So you need to know how to read these things, or else it could throw you off.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    So, I ordered 2 new coils and the firing order stickers from ricambi. Just peeked into my engine though and noticed the passenger side coil is under the expansion tank. Does the tank have to come out to swap them?

8. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    The passenger side coil is more challenging to get to than the driver's side. I did remove the e tank, with a bit of cleaning after it was removed. Plan on a few hours of work for this passenger coil replacement if you find the area around the tank as dirty as I did (and it bothers you).

9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks man, does that require a full coolant change? I would like to have the tank restored however.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #10 johnk..., Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    FYI:
    Ignition coil
    Bosch 0221503407
    Also 99-2004 Landrover Discovery and Range Rover

11. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    Helpful info on the coils, thanks. I found this thread as I was searching for answers on my 348 issue. Your symptoms sounded exactly like mine, except mine was on the 1-4 bank. Running extremely rich, plugs black and sooty, fuel smell and smoke from exhaust. 1-4 ECU had thrown light so I pulled the code and it was 1211 Lambda. I replaced the plugs and started diagnosing from there......

Anyhow, before reading this, my research lead me to order a new crank sensor (actually I just went ahead and replaced both of them while I was at it). Installed the new ones and nope, wasn't it.

So then I swapped the ignition coils to see if the problem switched sides. Nope, wasn't it.

So now I was planning my next component swap to find the bad one:
    - O2 sensors
    - ECU's
    - replace cam phase sensor
    - TPS's
    - MAF's

....but before I did any of that, researching forum seemed to point to injector leaks. I had replaced both Fuel Pressure Regulators about a month earlier as simple preventative maintenance - I decided to take the newer one off (which had only been on for a month and had maybe 200 miles run on it) and put the old one back on. BAM, that was it! Car instantly transformed back to normal and ran perfect. The new Fuel Pressure Regulator failed somehow. Crazy. Doing some preventative maintenance actually worked against me in this case.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Where did you get the new pressure regulator?

13. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    RockAuto

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Aren’t there 2 different FPR’s for the earlier mondial t /348 vs later models. Isn’t there a pressure diifference? I can’t figure out which one I need for my 89 Mondial t. On rock auto the one that comes up is 1991 and later 348.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DocBasilone likes this.
  15. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    Yes, this thread will help you...has both versions and part #'s:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/difficult-to-start-when-the-engine-is-hot.625682/

Long story short:
    The PR161 is the 3.0 BAR. (push on return line)
    The PR298 is the 3.8 BAR (threaded return line)

DocBasilone likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    JasonS likes this.
  17. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Old thread, I know... But does anybody know if the coils listed here would work on an 89 Mondial T? Didn't the later ones have Motronic 2.7 vs 2.5?

18. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yes I put the same coils in my 89 T.

They are still for sale at rock auto.