Rear Axle Nut Torque Spec & Strut Shims Questions | FerrariChat

Rear Axle Nut Torque Spec & Strut Shims Questions

Discussion in '348/355' started by thoroughbred_1002, Dec 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    First question is a simple one.. I had to replace the left rear knuckle on a collision project. Naturally, I had to remove the axle nut. Just want to confirm that 275 Nm is the correct torque spec for the axle nut.

Additionally, the attachment point of the replacement knuckle for the strut is just a little narrower than the original. There are shims for the strut. I did note the original orientation of the shims. But, because of the narrower knuckle opening, I am not able to duplicate the original shim arrangement.

Certain that someone has BTDT before and grateful for any recommendations that anyone may be willing to pass along. I would be equally grateful for any tips with regard to placing the shims as well, as it's a royal PITA.

The shims are part # 47 of the attached diagram. There are three different shim types, though only two different shims were used in this application. Four skinny shims and two fat ones.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never seen a situation where the spacers would not fit. They are not thin so not a matter of a small manufacturing tolerance issue. Was it a new upright?

I'd be concerned about an incorrect part or a damaged part.

3. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    In this case, I had four slim spacers and two larger ones.

On other applications, is the usual arrangement just one large spacer on each side?

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never measured them. Never been a need.

5. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Upon further review of the situation, I am thinking the four extra spacers were put there to compensate for previous damage. Clearly there is no need for them with the replacement knuckle.

Further, when you look the spacers up by part number, it is indicated that a quantity of eight are needed. I assume this to mean eight spacers per car rather than per knuckle.

Things are starting to make sense... I think.

6. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Wrong parts. Those are caliper shims. No substitute (if you don't know the car) to looking at the book. The book clearly states the thickness of the 3 possible shims and those ain't it.

The book always trumps the internet............always. You are lucky you got someone who doesn't just make it up as he goes along.

8. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Hmmm... These are the parts that were there from before.

For sake of comparison, I went around to the other side of the car for an inspection.

Didn't expect to see this...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That quality of work is why it has the wrong parts.

10. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    I don't see how they ever fit the intended spacers in there the way it was, or why..

No doubt the other four are caliper shims. You have a sharp eye. I looked at the caliper hardware, and these are a perfect match to those shim sets.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is crappy work. Sorry to see that.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You might look at what is under the bolt head and nut and see if those are 3mm washers. Probably just reinstalled in the wrong place. It always amazes me how people can take something apart and forget where it all goes. Do people disassemble cars with a blindfold?

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My memory has gone to hell these days. Now if I’m taking something apart that I’ve never done before I take about 100 pictures as I disassemble. As long as the last person had it right I can get it back the way it was.

14. thoroughbred_1002

Nov 5, 2019
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Austin E
    Well, I was able to get it situated.. as originally intended.. on the side that I am working on. I still need to need to go around to the other side and correct the washer that had slipped on that side. Thank you for your responses.

It's a safe conclusion that someone had been in there before. Evidently, on both sides. Anyone need spare caliper shims? :p

15. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    No. But based on some of the stuff I have seen, I swear some put them back together that way.

Nice article in Prancing Horse this month BTW.