Taken Off Market - 1998 F355 Spider Euro Spec - Yellow/Black - Many Upgrades! | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market 1998 F355 Spider Euro Spec - Yellow/Black - Many Upgrades!

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by cgperry, Dec 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    1998 Ferrari F355 Spider (Euro), 6-Speed Manual, 39xxx miles
    ZFFXR48B000112130

$73,850 obo

320+ detailed photos at https://bit.ly/385pggK

This gorgeous spider is dressed in Giallo Modena (Modena Yellow) with black leather interior and a black convertible top. 6-speed manual transmission.

This spider is considered a Euro, meaning it was originally delivered to its first owner in Europe. The car spent a year in Yugoslavia, and was adapted to US regulations when it was brought here in December of 2000 by its second owner. Amerispec covered the import bonding and JK Motors (a DOT/EPA certified importer) did the US modifications. All required paperwork (NHTSA release) is included with the car.

I have had this car since 2001 and I am the third owner. I have taken immaculate care of the car and it has been mechanically maintained locally by European Road and Racing – Charleston’s premier exotic service center (www.europeanroadandracing.com). Dealer services, when required, have been performed at Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro, NC (www.foreigncarsitalia.com). I have extensive records on the car from my ownership as I am religious about maintenance, particularly with exotics. I’ve kept printed records and receipts on things I’ve done myself on the car. I even have information on almost every tank of gas I’ve put in the car – that’s how much I love my cars and want their history known. It is rare to get any information from previous owners when you buy used Ferraris through dealerships. This car comes with a 3-ring binder with more than an inch of receipts for normal maintenance, accessories and other repairs. This car’s history is complete.

Major service including timing belts was performed in June of 2014 at 36,560 miles. The car has a brand-new set of Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires just mounted (replaced due to age, not wear).

This car has its original leather owner’s manual packet (embossed with Prancing Horse) including the following documents:

· Owner’s Manual

· Booklet of Authorized Service Centers

· Owner’s Warranty and Service Record Book

· Ferrari DirectLine (support) Booklet

· Alarm System Manual including PIN code card (required if you ever lose keys)

· Stereo Owner’s Manual

· Stereo Warranty Card

This car has its original leather toolkit including the following documents:

· Protective Cloth Cover

· Ferrari-logoed Screwdrivers (flathead and Philips head)

· Ferrari-logoed Wrenches (3/4mm, 8/9mm,12/13mm,16/17mm, 18/19mm)

· Spare accessory belt

· Ferrari-logoed Electrical Pliers

· Spare set of bulbs

· Original factory Fix-A-Flat inflator in protective Styrofoam and vinyl zippered case

Two black-fob keysets are included, and one red-fob keyset is included.

If you’ve researched the F355, you know that the car, like all Ferraris, had some model-specific issues. This car has had them all addressed and sorted – something you won’t find in an extremely low-mileage garage queen. Specifically:

· Door side sills replaced with real carbon fiber (originals prone to bending and rust, original included if you wish)

· Addressed interior parts prone to “stickiness” from aging factory rubber coating:

o Steering column trim was stripped and refinished in textured black.

o Radio surround trim was stripped and refinished in textured black.

o Dash air-conditioning and defroster vents were stripped to smooth plastic finish.

o Center console replaced with real carbon fiber ($1,725) (original included if you wish)

o Center dash instrument trim replaced with real carbon fiber ($450) (original included if you wish)

o Door release pulls replaced with real carbon fiber ($450)​

· Passenger side airbag leather replaced (original prone to shrinkage/bending)

· Adjustable front shock absorbers re-built by Delta Vee Motorsports

· Factory exhaust headers replaced with FabSpeed headers ($2,995). Factory headers are made from cheap metal and eventually melt, causing exhaust problems and potential exhaust valve damage in the motor.

· Seat Position Sensors rebuilt with Jeff Carriker / Performance Automotive units. Stock seat sensors fail every 12-18 months and are $350 each plus labor to replace. When they fail, the convertible top becomes inoperative and often the seats will not move. Since having the Carriker upgrade performed in 2008 ($1,200), this car has never had a seat issue again.

· This car has never had a problem with the valve guides like many US F355s. F355s with the valve guide issue require an expensive head rebuild to maintain proper compression. Ultra low-mileage garage queens may not have enough miles to exhibit this problem yet, leading to ugly future repair bills.

Interior upgrades include:

· Carbon fiber center console ($1,725)

· Carbon fiber instrument trim ($450)

· Carbon fiber door release pulls ($450)

· Carbon fiber inner door mirror trim panels ($325)

· Carbon fiber instrument panel overlay ($250)

· Carbon fiber shift knob ($295)

· Carbon fiber emergency brake handle ($325)

· Carbon fiber door sill panels ($600)

· Custom Lloyd’s Ultramat extra thick floor mats with yellow binding ($85)

Audio upgrades include:

· Stock removable face Sony/Ferrari head unit (AM/FM/Cassette/CD Changer)

· Sony XPlod Four Channel Power Amplifier with Active Crossover

· Custom Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure with 10” Kicker subwoofer (passenger side footwell, easily removed for extra foot room, track events, etc).

· CD Changer audio cables adaptable to auxiliary (3.5mm) input

· Permanent power added for Valentine One radar detector (detector not included)

Exterior upgrades include:

· Rear “Challenge” grille – Black vented metal really sets off the rear of the car and provides the additional cooling that benefitted the Ferrari Challenge F355s (Ferrari’s one-make racing series). It also highlights the chrome Cavallino (Prancing Horse) on the rear of the car that doesn’t really pop against the yellow paint. The original painted rear grill is also included.

· Wheels just refinished in powder-coated silver with new center caps. All are perfect.

Engine upgrades:

Ferraris are beautifully engineered from the factory and most modifications make them worse, not better. This car just has exhaust modifications, which are easily reversed if desired:

· Exhaust headers replaced with FabSpeed stainless steel headers ($2,995)

· Catalytic converters replaced with HyperFlow cats ($3,300). HyperFlow cats flow within 7% of straight pipes but will pass emissions and don’t cause problems with Ferraris famous “Slow Down” lights that trigger when O2 sensor readings are thrown off by test pipes or cheap cats. Lower weight than OEM.

· Exhaust replaced with Tubi stainless steel exhaust ($1,700). Tubis are dramatically lighter than the stock exhaust and contribute to giving this F355 that signature Ferrari F1 scream at high RPM.

· Connection added for trickle charger to maintain battery when car is stored. Trickle charger included.

Accessories included:

· Custom fitted CoverCraft Noah car cover ($180) – suitable for indoor or outdoor use.

· Custom fitted Spider Top nylon cockpit cover – this quickly attaches to cover the interior of the car without having to put the top up. It serves to protect the interior and leather from sun or other damage when you don’t want to have to put the top up and down each time.

· Factory OEM Parts Manual in OEM 3-Ring Binder ($650 value)

· Laminated set of enlarged electrical diagrams

· Two extra brake rotors (some use)

· Original Factory Headers

· Standard Painted Rear Grill (non-Challenge)

Faults:

Like any pre-owned car, this F355 does have a few minor faults. I want the next owner to be perfectly satisfied, so here are all the issues (other than mileage-appropriate normal wear) that I know about:

· Radio removable face missing small piece of corner trim

· Ashtray cover on new carbon fiber center console doesn't fit as tightly as I'd like

· Paint crack, about 1.5" long, above driver's door air intake. This was on the car when I bought it in 2001 and has not spread or changed.

· Main underbody tray is missing the passenger side rearmost corner. I believe it was cracked by someone who put a lift arm slightly too far over when lifting the car. Tray still fits securely.

· Underbody tray below sump has been removed. This is a vulnerable part on F355s and is missing on most as a reasonable speed bump can still crack it badly enough to snap the mounts. I have the tray but its rear corner mounts are broken. It could be repaired with some minor fiberglass work.

The car has had paintwork done on the front bumper cover, the driver's side lower door sill, the passenger door and the passenger rear quarter panel. When I bought the car, the side sill was a slightly different shade of yellow. It bothered me, so I had it refinished to properly match the rest of the car. The front bumper cover was refinished to fix minor road rash from normal driving.

As you can see, this Ferrari has been much loved by an owner that loves cars and loves Ferraris. I am selling to help finance a new house and while I hate to see her go, I know that the next owner will be getting a well-sorted Ferrari that can be immediately enjoyed. Pre-purchase inspections are encouraged and I will assist in getting the car to the shop of your choice. Test drives are fine for pre-qualified buyers. Buyer is responsible for transport costs for getting the car. I will help coordinate with pickup, and I know several decent shippers if you want to go that way. Or do what I did when I bought it – fly in and drive it home. Nothing like a road trip to get to know your new Ferrari!

Clear South Carolina title is in-hand and car is sold in As-Is Condition with no warranty stated or implied.
    Please feel free to write with any questions. Image Unavailable, Please Login

JoeTSI likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow...amazing....GLWS!

I want it, can't have it.....

3. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I've driven this car - it's AWESOME! I also know Charles well and any potential buyer can rest absolutely assured that he will deal honestly and fairly. If I were in the Ferrari market, this would be at or very near the top of my list (like BigTex above, I also want it, but can't have it!). Some lucky buyer is going to get a GREAT car.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #7 jeffdavison, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    downloaded the archive twice..... file is corrupt and can not extract the contents.... edit.. 3 times :(

5. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Jeff - Thanks for the heads-up. Sorry it took me so long to catch your post. I tried the download and had the same problem. I've replaced the file and now the download is working for me. Please try it again when you get a second. If you still have an issue, PM me your address and I'll send a DVD or thumb drive down to you.

I've also scanned all the service records now for an interested party, so those are available if you're interested as well.

6. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Price reduced to $71,850 obo. She deserves a new family in time to enjoy spring! :)

7. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    $69,850! Sunny summer is coming!

8. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    Wow it looks great! Where did all the carbon fiber parts come from? Easy to find?
    Wish I was in to spiders, but I’m looking for a 355 coupe to personalize.