Shmee Drives the 812 | FerrariChat

Shmee Drives the 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by FerrariFR33458, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    That guy is such a tool

kane00, Cnoordz, Pazzo009 and 3 others like this.
  3. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    I agree...

FerrariFire, alibo70 and andyrichter like this.
  4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Shut up Schmee . . . . .

FerrariFire, pcht5, alibo70 and 3 others like this.
  5. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ferrari UK 'requirements' to get an 812 GTS are (or were) an 812 Superfast Order.

As he hasn't ever had a new Ferrari he should have no chance but in the world of social media 'celebs' i guess he's somehow quite a celebrity so i assume he'll be able to get one.

If Ferrari still has any brand mystique left this doesn't exactly help it in my opinion.....

FFantastic likes this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes very anoying, but look at the 812 N-largo he drives on this video :)

7. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    "Chee-eeers!"

marky1 likes this.
  8. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I wonder if there's an issue with the N-Largos. Out of Novitec's creations, I've seen a healthy dose of N-Largos coming up for sale in the last year.

9. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Why does everyone hate Schmee? My wife and I find his videos funny and he usually has great cars. He had amazing things to say about the 812. How about some, I dunno, positivity?

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Might be because the straight piped exhaust makes the car borderline unusable?

gzachary and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes but sounds great, I am not brave enough to do it though and affect the warrantee or more likely the trouble it would cause with my speed limiter in the passenger seat!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    At least he praises the 812 and after I drove several on some test drives agree.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    For whatever reason he has some pull. He got a Senna, Ford GT, and access to film his GT3 being built at Porsche's Zuffenhausen factory which I had never seen or heard of before

Just my opinion but I find his delivery a bit annoying and I prefer the traditional car journo videos & reviews (Autocar/Auto Express/Chris Harris/Jethro etc) to his vlog content/lifestyle highlights

14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    The guy has a decent car collection. The only things that bother me are
    - dresses like a high school science teacher
    - sits down when he pees
    - 36 year old virgin

Makuono, Maloja and Pazzo009 like this.
  15. andyrichter

andyrichter Karting

Jul 18, 2017
    Oahu
    Always wondered if I was the only one that couldn’t sit through a full video of his. I can’t manage to watch the wanker even on mute.

500drvr likes this.
  16. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    And he bites his nails.........quite a lot. AAAARRRRGGGHHH

17. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    What Tim Burton, aka Schmee, does not tell is that he was backed by people with money to get where he is and his car collection.

They basically poured the money to buy the cars and run the show as his popularity (and subsequent revenue) grew.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Seems to me this whole youtube/ internet reviewer thing is fairly new (relative to print journalism) and kudos to him for doing it. Unless he got his money from some illegal way, so what if others backed him. He's got nearly 2m youtube subscribers. I think thats impressive. Some find his persona/ delivery annoying. Yet, I think he's developed his own "shtick" and it must be working. I say good for him, and if you don't like his videos, then don't watch them.

I have criticisms for all the journalists:

Chris Harris- lately its every McLaren is wonderful (even though they all share the same parts) yet Ferrari has a tired and out dated interiors? And how many times can he force a "WOW" in a review, sometimes its painfully obvious he is not in love with the car. To be fair, it must be hard to review so many cars- but that's his job. I used to love CH, but the past year or so, I think he's just phoning it in.

Autocar / Autoexpress- these are the same people who originally said the Speciale isn't much of an improvement over an Italia. If you took their advice back in the day, you might not have a Speciale today.. And now they all cry the Speciale was amazing and the Pista isn't much of an improvement over the GTB. Really.... Come on guys.....

Maybe part of the problem are all the new models from all our favorite makes- so many more cars to review, and so many more reviews for us to absorb....

Anyway, for whatever reason(s), I enjoy Schmee's videos. I like that he often gives more of an actual real world use case of a car.

NLargo, my understanding is Novitec does this mostly to build awareness of their brand, to break through the noise they get these cars built. I think the extra loud exhaust could easily get tiring (though epic in short doses), and I also think at some point most people will think they have this one off car, what if they want to get out, maybe they should put it on the market now....

Makuono, Thecadster and gzachary like this.
  19. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    His video of Jay Leno's garage, along with Jay himself, is quite entertaining. Leno is absolutely hysterical at certain points besides his reciting encyclopedic knowledge of each and every car.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Both Ford and McLaren cater a lot to these youtubers. He got a GT because they wanted him to feature it on his channel. Had he not had the channel, I'm sure he would not be a GT owner. That whole selection process from Ford was basically to make sure they got the cars out to "promoters".

He has a decent relationship with Mclaren, so I'm not surprised he got a Senna allocation. Also, from what I understand, here in Europe znd the UK, the Senna was not quite as sought after as in the US. And considering Mclaren has no issue putting someone who does not own a Mclaren streetcar, in front for a limited Mclaren to get them to run the GT4 just tells me they are allocating LE cars based on what they think they can gain from it. Giving him an allocation for a Senna. Is simply a marketing tool.

As for the Porsche? He only got a GT3, not a GT3RS. Not sure I will call that pull.

So yes, he has some pull with brands that actively caters to Youtube promotion, but he has zero pull with Ferrari.

otakki, Caeruleus11 and KenU like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I like Shmee. Long time subscriber. Never have understood the vitriol directed towards him. I mean, I certainly get the criticism, but the fact that he and I are very different (VERY different!) does not prevent me from enjoying his content. Great cars, and tons of them.

That said, to me Jethro Bovingdon is the gold standard of car reviewers. Thought exercise, imagine for a moment that Jethro had (would?) pursued a YouTube channel in the same manner as Shmee. He’d likely own that space. Pro level driver, great voice, emotive descriptions.

wrs, j09333, bluesea and 4 others like this.
  22. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    LOL... I love this.

I really enjoy Chris Harris's reviews. He has a racing background, and I thoroughly enjoy how passionate he is about cars. His diction and explanation are level educational and he expresses his love for what he does.

andyrichter and sampelligrino like this.
  23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    We are mostly agreeing, all I said was he has to have some pull (success/reach/whatever you want to call it) to be able to get a Ford GT and Senna. Both marques decided that while some worthy owners with history were not eligible for the cars, Shmee was. I'm sure it was marketing, and Shmee has enough marketing power to warrant those allocations

As for the Porsche, it wasn't mainly the focus on the model itself, but how he was able to walk the production lines while filming himself interacting with workers on the line, and literally fit parts onto his very own car which I have never heard of before (understanding how it's difficult to even see your own car during a factory visit, let alone access to film and mess around with parts). Again, marketing. Hats off to Schmee, but just not a fan personally

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    great video, never saw that one. Drive tribe/Carfection/Drive Magazine (Greek channel)/Chris Harris/Davide Cironi - love the way they convey what they are experiencing to where I almost feel like I'm there, I can rewatch those videos any time. What's telling is I usually don't care what specific car is being reviewed, I'll enjoy regardless

Mentioned Autocar/Auto Express, but in retrospect the above are the best video reviews in my opinion

Shack, ScottS, gzachary and 2 others like this.
  25. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Yes I started watching Davide Cironi channel. It is incredible. It is different in style and focus. Just great content, No spoilers or rambling here other than to say he gives a lot of behind the scenes with the people who built/designed the cars. As well as driving very special cars that others don’t focus on as part of the usual rollout parade.

j09333, sampelligrino, ScottS and 2 others like this.