Mondial like | FerrariChat

Mondial like

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by boxerman, Dec 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Seems like many new ferrari snobs dis the mondial.
    Drove a freinds 3.2 coupe saturday and thought it was great. Smooth motor, shifted like a real ferrari, no power steering etc. Other than Tq it felt remarkably similar to my BBI, maybe just a little easier and more refined, but definitely of the same era.

People dont know what theyre missing.

2. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    They definitely don't get the credit that they deserve. That's fine - it keeps the prices down for those of us that do appreciate them. ;)

I look forward to spending a bit of time in mine every weekend. Quiet, empty roads early Sunday Morning are best...

Texbike

Attached Files:

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some elements of the Ferrari community did since the cars were new. In my opinion the 3.2 Coupe represented the best of the model. Nice driving car.

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  4. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    I find that most Ferrari guys like seeing my car. I almost always get thumbs up or beeps from half million dollar ferraris. People on the street just see a Ferrari, and they seem to enjoy it as well. Car shows, yep, lots of respect there too.

It’s the armchair statisticians reading about 0-60 times on a bunch of regurgitated internet articles that always seem to have something negative to say.

Anyone here who owns a Mondial knows it’s not a stop light to stop light type of car. Go get yourself a mustang if you want that type of horse. The mondial thrives on twisty country roads, well away from the city. I challenge you to try to wipe the smile off your face as you’re blasting through the gears on an open road....It’s all Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Il Steeg, donkost, paulchua and 5 others like this.
  5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I always say I didn't know I wanted a Mondial till I drove one. As far as negative comments I've asked the person making the negative comment if they ever drove a Mondial and the answer I usually got was no but I read an article about it so that tells you right there the validity of their opinion.

Texas Forever, paulchua and Roward7 like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I agree, really nice driving car, with all the elements that make the pre-Luca ferraris so appealing.

Ahh the old stoplight grand prix arguement. Get that on my lotus all the time. Reality is sportscars are all about the experience, joy and art of driving, somethign moderns almost totaly lack, untill 9/10ths by which time youre risking life and limb to a huge degree.

I can get hammered, and far quicker doing shots of vodka, but enjoying a fine wine is a far more enjoyable and rounded experience. The Mondial is a fine wine.
    Its the compleet pre -luca experience. i know someone who has a 275 4 cam amongst others, all bought back in the day when they were used cars and appreciated only by those that knew, he drives a Mondial most days, now I know why.

7. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    I have Saïd it before and will do it again; who cares what other people think? A Mondial is a car to be in, not to be a wannabee for the rest of the world. If you find it important that lots of people like your car buy a Volkswagen Golf, millions of people all over the world seems to like them.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think it goes a little deeper than that. Lots of "car" people and esp ferrari people claim to be "drivers". Car companies always seem to be touting the driving experience. Yett he reality is most modern cars are sterile tod rive, in fact arguably all of them are to some degree. The modern also asks little of its driver.

Then there are the so called "enthusiasts" and collectors, who claim to appreciate the older cars. Yet here we have the mondial which drives exactly as a classic ferrari should, and because it does nto have a "name" written up somewhere its ignored. Yet it drives as nicely as any classic ferrari, if not better in some ways.

i know its preaching to the choir, but if youre really into ferraris, you should be into mondials.

Texas Forever, paulchua, rob and 2 others like this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, the Choir. :)

Here's a repost in case you missed it.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #10 paulchua, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    The "Dis" is nothing new in the Ferrari world. The 365/400/412* series & 308GT4*, Ferrari California, Ferrari FF, dare I say I suspect the Roma and upcoming FUV will suffer the same fate.

No doubt, there were many less than enthusiastic people when the Mondial was new. However, I would argue most of the detractions of the Mondial when released is not only irrelevant/but sought out today.

All 40+year-old Ferrari is now slow, and need careful stewardship. In contradistinction, unlike other 40+ year Ferrari - the Mondial is still very affordable if you find the right one. While true, it was much more expensive then the 308/328 when released, the tables have turned. Yes, it's fractionally slower than its 2 seat sisters of the era, but does that matter today in the year 2020 when buying a 30-40 year old classic?

The rawness in all but removed in most modern Ferrari even as late as the 456 is present and alive in the Mondials. Need I mention the gated shifter?

The only valid criticism today is the aesthetics. Being intellectually honest, I argue it's not everybody's cup of tea. That's fine too - not every woman is considered beautiful by all. Think Anne Hathaway, Cate Blanchet, Sandra Bulluck, Gwenyth Paltrow, Lupita Nyong'o. Some folks often say they are breathtaking, others-shrug their shoulders.

If you are one of the folks that think the Mondial is beautiful, then welcome to the club, and now you know the exotic world's best-kept secret.

*I've seen a real and solid resurgence and appreciation of these models, as evidenced by the undeniable price increases.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +1
    I let my neighbor, (he's a pilot) drive my 456 and Mondial back to back. After a spirited drive with both, he said he liked the 456 but the Mondial is what he expected a Ferrari to be. He said he would take the Mondial every single time.

In terms of pure driving pleasure, I wholeheartedly agree.

Texas Forever and Drewbdo like this.
  12. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #12 greatscott73, Dec 6, 2019
    I was parked next to a shiny new Portofino at a recent show and asked the owner how he liked it. He told me it was powerful, comfortable and easy to drive, but he lamented that the car had so many safety features built into it that was virtually impossible to even get close to being in trouble with it. He said the slight hint of danger had been removed from the process, and it kind of neutered the whole experience. He said an older 328 or 348 was probably in his future. I told him a 328 was drivetrain identical to a 3.2 Mondial and he was amazed.

13. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I too was never a Mondial fan, I never liked the looks. I had he same view of the 308GT4, oh what a fool I was, have you seen GT4 prices and the design has aged well and I'd love to have one. Well age and wisdom has changed my mind on the Mondial, I fit in the Mondial unlike the GTB/GTS which is 2 sizes to small for an old guy. The Mondial may be a "starter" Ferrari but its very usable and can be wrenched and tinkered on unlike newer cars. Having the iconic gated manual transmission will eventually lead to demand and recognition as a true classic. All those computers and high tech will kill modern Ferrari values eventually.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #14 paulchua, Dec 6, 2019
    Indeed, many folks are quite surprised to hear the Mondial shares the exact exact drive train as the 308/328/348. I believe this is due to the practice today of "Lessor models" having detuned engines (Cali/Cali T/FF/GT4/Roma) vs (458/488/F12/812)

What's funny is it is all relative gentlemen, you have folks on the Cali forums asking why the hate? You have folks on the FF/GT4C forum asking why the hate? You have folks in the 365/400/412 forum asking why the hate? For the popular models, you'll find why the envy/hate?

Ferrari is a outsized brand that magnifies reactions, you just have to take the 'good' with the 'bad.' The Mondial still has given me the best memories and reactions from all the cars I've owned. It's a very special car that is just so damn endearing, I think because as John Pogson put it, it's both royalty and unpretentious. A Ferrari that evokes as much mystique in it's so called 'defects' as if Prince Charles walked in the room. He's supposed to be 'bad' right? Yet he draws a crowd wherever he goes, and if people ask themselves honesty - what is about him you're supposed to not like exactly? You often end up with no answer.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Honestly, the Mondials aren't the best looking cars to my eye. They're definitely not a 250 SWB or other Ferrari beauty queen. The primary aesthetic issue of the Mondial to me is the extensive front overhang. If it had been possible for Pininfarina to shrink that by a foot and still allow Ferrari to package the cooling system components, headlights, bumpers, spare, etc, it would have made it significantly less awkward-looking. The distance between the rear of the door and the front of the rear wheel well is a bit longer than it should be as well, but can be forgiven due to the packaging requirements (mid-engine, 2+2 seating) of the car. Outside of those, all other styling oddities can be chalked up to 80s era design.

Regardless, I love mine. It's the overall package that is so fantastic. Besides, I can't see the front overhang when I'm behind the wheel staring down the road behind the fantastic instrumentation and perfect steering wheel, listening to the sound of the motor, smelling the leather, and feeling the feedback through the wheel and the shifter. As Tony would say, "They're GREAT"!

2cam

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said, and no right answer when it comes to aesthetics. I have nothing but respect for folks that sincerely don't like the Mondial looks.

Unfortunately more often then not, when asked why the dislike?
    9 out of 10 times I hear a reason that is outright just false

"It handles poorly"
    "it was the entry level poor man's Ferrari ala Dino"
    "the fake side vents copies the Testarossa"
    "it tried to copy the MR2/Fiero"
    "it's the slowest Ferrari of all time"
    "they all need an engine out"
    "it's not a real Ferrari, Ferrari clubs will not allow you in"
    "it's the most unreliable Ferrari of all time"
    "it was a sales failure for Ferrari"

Yet many 'enthusiasts' actually believe many of the above outright false assertions.

ronfrohock and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    So perfectly said in every way and in every level!! Buy a Golf everyone!!

Temple

ronfrohock and paulchua like this.
  18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Rifledriver, other than the way it drives, would you mind commenting on the 3.2 being the best of the model as opposed to the T. I ask as someone who is interested in potentially buying one of the two. Also, any thoughts on the coupe vs the convertible beyond preference would be appreciated.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cars with the 3.2 motor were some of the best and most trouble free cars Ferrari ever built. The 3.4 cars were at the other end of the spectrum.

V4NG0 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Good to know, thanks!

22. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    The belt change every 3-5 years for the 3.2 is an engine IN service vs the 3.4 is engine OUT. That's the big difference to me.

V4NG0 likes this.
  23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea BUT! You get the joy of taking the engine out yourself and cleaning everything really well and have a great excuse to buy a lift!

paulchua and V4NG0 like this.
  24. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I really love the look of the coupe but also enjoy the top down capabilities of the convertible. Is there a happy medium in the form of a coupe with a sunroof option? If so, can anyone speak to the rarity and/or functionality of it?

25. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Most of the coupes you find will have the sunroof option.

V4NG0 likes this.