355 - 355 engine out major-Adds/Hill eng. parts | FerrariChat

355 355 engine out major-Adds/Hill eng. parts

Discussion in '348/355' started by F129b, Nov 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Next major very soon. I’ve done the fabspeed headers, cat cores, and have the Hill TO bearing.

What else should I be adding that Hill has re engineered?

Also are motor mounts a good idea at 30k mi and 20 yrs of age? Which ones?

Thanks for any words of wisdom. I’ve had this thing 20 yrs and it’s better than when it left Maranello. Just looking for that last 10% while we’re in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am surprised you haven't changed your motor mounts yet. They don't last 20 years. If you are into the clutch assembly, then Hill Engineering slave bearing is the better upgrade. Likely a good time to regrease the Kluber flywheel. As for the rest, let your wallet guide you.

308 GTB and MAD828 like this.
  3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My motor mounts didn’t last 3 years after changing them. I went for the upgraded challenge spec versions this time around.

I have the hill engineering tensioner bearings, throw out bearing, upgraded flange, alternator pulley, exhaust clamps and their flywheel. Very good quality items.

308 GTB likes this.
  4. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you both for the responses. I installed the Hill TO bearing and triple seals a few years ago..all good

Challenge motor mounts sound like a good idea!

The last thing I want to fix/eliminate on this car is a crazy vibration from the shifter stalk - which ONLY happens in 3rd gear (slightly in 4th also) between 4-4500rpms. We’ve tried rebuilding the mechanism just below the stick .. ball cup something..I can’t remember what it all looked like, but didn’t fix the prob.

Any guesses as to what is causing this??
    Maybe the flywheel and new kluber packing could help..

5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Engine mounts when they sag the shifter goes out of alignment. Can cause the gear selector fork to vibrate against the shift gate.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Robert - Yes, the ball cup 127466 is what you replaced back in 2018. When you had the gear lever tower apart, did you confirm the black 'spacer' thing (159389) was intact with no cracks? I'm not entirely sure if a failed 159389 would cause more vibration in one particular gear versus another, but it is probably something easy to inspect and somewhat common failure point.

Qavion likes this.
  7. ruey220

ruey220 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    Is the throw out bearing suppose to last the lifetime of the car or is it replaced every clutch change or when it goes bad?

8. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It’s not the shifter lever vibrating against the gate - if that’s what you mean. I’ve taken the gate out and experienced the same vibration. The sound is coming from the shift rods where they join the selector mech. What confounding is the rpm -dependent behavior:4K-4500.
    Below and above that it’s absent.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It does not last the lifetime of the car but should last longer than one clutch change.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The connection at the bottom of the shifter housing, at the rectangular block just outside the gearbox, or somewhere inside the gearbox?

11. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The connection at the bottom of the shifter housing.
    Maybe I’ll post a video when the rain stops down here in SoCal