my 360 battery dies if not driven in three days. | FerrariChat

my 360 battery dies if not driven in three days.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zapper/dapper, Dec 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zapper/dapper

zapper/dapper Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    My 360 doesn't seem to hold a charge on a new batter due to some short.. Any ideas??
    Please advise

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need to figure out what circuit is drawing current. This is done with a DVM on current mode. Then you can figure out what is wrong.

BOKE likes this.
  3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would probably start the search looking at any non-factory equipment that has been added to the car.

Ak Jim and BOKE like this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What was it like with the old battery?

The fact that you are asking this question makes me strongly suggest taking it to your mechanic. If he is not very strong in the electrical diagnosis area find a new guy.

RossoC360 and BOKE like this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    What kind of "new" battery did you get? I followed a lot of bad advice and got a smaller battery, left it off charge for a week and came back to a battery reading <5VDC. Recently had an issue with my current battery where a door switch was causing my battery drain faster than normal. Apparently working the door locks every so often is a good thing. If you leave your car unlocked normally, try working your door locks and locking it for a couple days....or vice versa. If you have any stereo equipment, etc, disconnect it and try again.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Just as a reference, I have a 360 with a modern radio (Alpine). My battery is three years old. I've gone two weeks without driving the car and have never had a problem with the battery. I own a battery minder but haven't taken it out of the box yet. From my experience, I'd say the 360 is like any other car. You can let it sit and not drive it for a couple of weeks without the battery going dead.

From what I've read, the typical culprits for a dying battery are the immobilizer system, alarm system and factory radio. I suggest checking the current draw by circuit and find which one of these things is killing your battery and address that. It is not normal for the battery to go dead in a matter of days.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    #7 Reid, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    first you check the battery draw by putting DVOM in amps mode 10 amps to handle the initial draw. You put the amp meter in series with the battery. disconnect one battery cable and hook the amp meter between the cable and the battery have all doors closed and key out of ignition, you can open the passenger door to do this but latch the door latch so it thinks the door is closed. hook up the meter and give the car 10-15 minutes to go to sleep.
    Max draw on any car is .035 amps or 35 milliamps. as a general rule. if it passes this test there is no draw if it fails then begin by disconnecting any aftermarket stuff the usual suspects.
    I found a 360 had a draw caused by the lighting module located on left side panel under dash - don't know if this is common but unplugging that module and passing the test proves it.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Since you need to disconnect the battery to test it, why not just disconnect it and 3 days later reconnect is and see if it held the charge while disconnected? If it doesn't hold charge while disconnected it dead.

9. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    #9 Reid, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    if you find the battery is still good 3 days later it doesn't tell you anything, a bad battery may be incredibly weak, it will hold a small charge for weeks but if you hook a small draw to it, it wont last. The way it is done in a shop that does things properly is first charge the battery because you need a battery charged to pass the tests you do on it, then test the battery, if the battery fails then you replace it but still is there an excessive draw on the battery that caused it to fail? You still should get a number on what exactly does the vehicle draw? 35 milliamps is acceptable but a stock Ferrari 360 should draw zero if it is working properly. It is a very simple test to show the state of the vehicles electrical system. it may have a draw of 50 milliamps which is excessive and indicates something is wrong which could become worse. that could draw a good battery down twice as fast as what is barely acceptable. Also there is a charge test to make sure it is charging and not overcharging which could destroy a battery. Also if you do find a draw you need to find it which requires disconnecting things (pulling fuses) until you see the draw go away and narrowing the problem down to a specific circuit and then a specific component you simply dont have 3 days for each fuse. This type of testing can take many hours by a person who has a lot of experience so how many hours do you want to pay the dealership or even a small shop for? Are they putting their best man on it? Some owners may want to do some initial testing themselves and perhaps save a lot of headache maybe they actually enjoy working on it and learning something in the process. There are more tests possible than I have mentioned but these are the basic things you do to inspect the health of a systems and begin tracing the problem.
    Here is what usually happens, a car with a brand new battery comes into the shop but the battery is dead. They replace the battery (again) and this time check to see if it is charging and it is so they sell the guy a battery, the next morning the car gets towed in (again) and they find the battery is dead they check for charging (again) and it is still charging so now they begin to suspect a draw and they call me. Don't think this doesn't happen in a dealership , you'd be surprised.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Did I say, "if it hold's charge it was good"? No!

I said, "If it doesn't hold charge while disconnected it's dead." :rolleyes:

Rifledriver and Reid like this.
  11. zapper/dapper

zapper/dapper Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    Thanx
    Tremendous advice. I will follow much appreciated,
    Zapper

Reid likes this.
  12. Reid

Reid Karting

May 18, 2018
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Reid Fox
    let me know if it gets deeper if you pull a fuse it wakes up the CAN bus so you need to let it go to sleep again, some fuses will cause the bus to stay awake so be mindful of what modules you are pulling power from if you go there. If it does have a draw and it is not an aftermarket device I would go straight to the lighting module first just because that was found before

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    IF it was a 3x8, I wudda said,

'UNPLUG the Clock.'

:D

14. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    How many prior owners?

I had a problem with my 328. So I took it to the dealer and told them to tear out anything that wasn't on the factory wiring diagram.
    I got back a huge box of junk. ;)
    (Imobilizers, trackers, etc.)

The 360 has been out for 20 years, now.
    That's plenty of time for aftermarket stuff to be added.

One approach is to put an ammeter in series with the battery, then start pulling fuses, one at a time, to see if the draw drops.
    If you've pulled all the fuses and still have a draw, it's likely something added aftermarket.

BUT --- if the problem started when you changed the battery, the first thing to check is that the battery isn't in backwards. :p
    Or isn't just a bad battery.
    (Interstate batteries used to be good. But I got a couple of bad ones, after they started making them in Mexico.)

Qavion likes this.