PPI recommendations in Toledo, OH? | FerrariChat

PPI recommendations in Toledo, OH?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by goldlifter, Nov 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    Hello all, I'm looking at buying a car in Toledo but seem to be striking out with finding a shop familiar with exotics, particularly in my case, a Lamborghini Gallardo? Any/all insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    North Coast Exotics in Clev (Earl Gibbs) would be a good choice if you cant find anything closer. Knows Lambos extremely well

3. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I will recommend against Earl. Read my post from another similar thread

Make Sure YOU Pay for it and you get it in Writing.
    Earl told me my Clutch was 66% when it was in fact at 1%
    Turns out that Earl does work for the Dealer in Medina so I don't think in my case he was Honest at All.
    My Fault for letting the Dealer pay for the PPI and trusting that Earl was "Old School" and that was why I got my Results via a Phone Conversation.
    I'm totally happy with my Car and the Extra Money I had to pay for a Clutch still had me well below what I would have bought if I went to my Local Dealer + their 430 I didn't like the top color.

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I believe Vin Devers can do that for you. I know they service my friends Gallardo. You can shoot me a pm if you need help beyond that point.

5. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I would strongly advise against Vin Devers. In my only experience with them, they screwed up an oil change on a dry sump engine by being arrogant and treating it like a wet sump. That could have ended very badly had I not caught it. In fact, I've only heard negative comments about them in the Italian exotic community here. Exotics are just not their forte.

I normally go to Columbus due to existing relationships and the need for an SD3 diagnostic scan tool, but if it has to be in Toledo then I would go with Pure Tuning. Not an exotic shop, but they are honest, knowledgable, and conscientious. I have used them for everyday maintenance for close to a decade now and they've always done a fabulous job.

6. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I am local in Toledo. I have been working on cars since 1991, and other gas powered wheeled things since the 1980s. In years past I worked for a couple of shops that serviced Porsches and old exotic and European cars. I have been servicing Lotus Esprits privately here and there for twenty years. I have personally owned two 308s, a dozen Esprits, a dozen Porsches, 7 or 8 Jaguars, and lots of other cars such as Lancias and Mercedes and a bunch of old Detroit iron. I have been doing inspections on all kinds of cars for friends and colleagues for years. I am so good at spotting body and paint work (and so picky about it) that I have upset many people over the years. I run Toledo Cars & Coffee, and know a lot of car people in town.

I don't know all the shops in Toledo, but of the ones I know, there is no one who I feel comfortable letting work on an exotic or special interest car. I know people who are honest and kind, but not that skilled or not that clean. And I know people who are skilled, but not that careful. And I have met people who are expensive and work on expensive cars, who I don't think are worth what they charge. And I know of a few who hang a sign over a garage but shouldn't be anywhere near a car. There are also several places and people who might be great or might not be, but I don't know enough about them to have a valid opinion. I would love to find the right person. So I continue to service my Esprits, Jaguars, Lancias, and Mercedes myself, and I do it for a few people in town, too.

I have not spent much time around Gallardos, and am not qualified to perform a technical inspection on one. But if you want someone to lay eyes on it, look for evidence of accident or paint repair, who can tell if the leather has been redyed, and can look for obvious signs of leaks or things being out of place in the engine bay and to a limited extent under the car, and maybe plug in a universal/generic code reader, I would be happy to take a look at it for you. PM me if I can help :)

-Tony K.