Is this an oil line (high pressure) or vapor? | FerrariChat

Is this an oil line (high pressure) or vapor?

Discussion in '308/328' started by cavallo_nero, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    See pic, 1978 308 GTS, wet sump euro.
    I get part number 108099 from my book. Is this a special part , or can any hose do??., don't know the size either. In pic the hose is about 4 inches long, and what is the housing with the 4 nuts its connected to, does that need come off to replace the hose? whew, lots of questions
    thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Vapor. No pressure at all.

I do believe that it is a shaped hose and using a straight hose in such a tight area may lead to the bends collapsing on themselves. Not really a functional issue as it is just a breather but it does not look proper.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To the best of my memory those have not been available in some time. No it isn't just regular hose. An oil proof hose needs to be used. A straight section fits pretty well. For most of those applications I use Aeroquip Push Lock hose. It is plain black rubber and can be bought relatively cheaply in bulk from Summit Racing, Jegs etc.

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I remember mine leaking 20 years ago. Available back then for € 80.00 (around $90.00) I used a piece of Aeroquip Startlite hose. O.k. it was blue and cloth braided but hardly visible and meanwhile black from dirt :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

5. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    I’m pretty sure I bought mine new from superformance last year. So far working well, as already said it’s a specific hose that needs to be oil compatible

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
  7. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    thanks for the great responses guys, I appreciate it. I will see if I can order from SP or rutlands.

8. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I need one too and I checked on the Superperformance's website but it appears that its only available for a 78 GTS and I have a 85 GTS QV... Any suggestions?

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I bought and used this stuff:
    https://www.amazon.com/HPS-HTHH-087-BLK-Silicone-Temperature-Reinforced/dp/B005B00FAY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=HPS+HTHH-087-BLK+Silicone+High+Temperature+Reinforced+Heater+Hose%2C+200+PSI&qid=1575557745&s=industrial&sr=1-1

Rob: You are welcome to a short section; I had to buy a foot long piece so have extra. I can give it to you at breakfast on Saturday.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  10. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon all,
    I have a 328, which is almost identical to the QV. It uses the same hose as the picture above, the hose is not preformed.

Hope that helps,

John.

11. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon,
    I use silicon hosing for the cooling system. Great with coolant(alcohol), but will not hold up with petroleum based products, like fuel or engine oil.

John.

paul01 likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very true. There are compounds that are good with oil but they are very different from compounds for water and coolant. The hose in the link is specifically for water and would not be a good choice.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is a different hose. There are several different ones depending on specific application and certainly no need to spend 30 lbs for it.

14. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It may be hard to see from this pic but here’s mine that I replaced several years ago with the Straight cloth braided oil resistant hose, still works great today.

16. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Superperformance or trutlands doesn't seem to have this 108099 hose for my 78. What is the correct diameter for this hose, the one on amazon says 7/8, but I think I would want a metric size. Thanks again.
    stay tuned for my post on the FI ECU system upgrade for my 78 308.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    7/8 is the same as 22mm. 5/8 is the same as 16mm. Do you really care which ruler I use?

In case you didn't bother to read the posts the hose on Amazon isn't the right stuff. Buy it if you like but you are better off getting the correct hose.

thorn and Nuvolari like this.
  18. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Gotcha on the hoses,, I just measured 21mm based on the diameter of the hose connector mounted on the engine. I saw that you posted that the hose wasn't the right one on amazon, hence the exact size request on my part (which looks like 21mm - I know big deal, but I have used mm hoses if I can find them and they do fit better). Now I know its an oil vapor hose too.

19. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    What he was referring to is that the hose on Amazon is NOT suitable for gas or oil. Says so right in the description. Or maybe I misread your reply...

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Indeed the description (now) says that it is unsuitable for gas or oil. I will make claim that it didn't say that when I bought the stuff!

Now that it is installed, is in a difficult spot to replace, and is only a vapor recovery hose, I am thinking I will just leave it until the next time I need to remove that cam shaft end cover.

The unsuitability surprises me actually. As I understand it, silicone rubber is pretty robust stuff. I thought the SRI fuel hoses, for example, are silicone rubber. Must be a different formulation or something.

21. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not really a contribution, but I like your screen name!

cavallo_nero likes this.
  22. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Silicone is a no-go for petroleum hoses/lines. I believe (vague memory) that SRI hoses have a silicone outer shell (ie, a wrap), but the inner hose is not.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's correct. Only the orange colored outer layer is silicone. I suspect, the black inner layer is FPM (or FKM) like the R9 rated hoses (the most modern material of fuel hoses for modern fuels blended with a lot of crap).

Best from Germany
    Martin

cavallo_nero likes this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It isn't the same as R9. R9 is garbage and self destructs with our current gas additive package being used in the US. His compound is something rated for gasoline for marine use as I recall. The reason he made them is exactly because R9 isn't any good and we both had a lot of failures of it.

BOKE likes this.
  25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I thought R9 is the best you can get nowadays. What do you use for the carb cars fuel lines, if your gas is so aggressive?
    I admit, I am not so familiar with the designations R6, R9, etc. They are not so common here. We use a DIN-EN designation for it. At the moment Cohline 2240 lines (FPM/ECO) lines have a good reputation over here and it's what I use. It's DIN 73379-3E. But in the english language world they offer it as being R9:

https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/cohline-2240-r9-specification-rubber-fuel-injection-hose-6-mm-push-on-e85-compatible/

I cut a piece of it lengthwise after it was on my car for almost one decade and it looked like new inside.

I tend to believe, that not every hose labelled R9 is really certified R9. Same like the old cloth braided DIN 73379. I had hoses which lasted 5 years and others, which lasted 1 year. Same DIN though.

Best from Germany
    Martin