Official Daytona Pics | Page 69 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  2. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
  3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    No antenna (no radio ?) since new or recently deleted ?

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    None since new.
    No music needed, the 12 cyl symphony comes from the front compartment.

Marcel Massini

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    My kind of car.
    I’ve never really felt a need for one (radio) in any car, even in my late model daily drivers and I certainly wouldn’t pay extra or anything for that matter to have some satellite nonsense activated on them.

375+ and turbo-joe like this.
  7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    No idea if the radio works in mine. Never turned it on.

bernardo66, TTR and of2worlds like this.
  8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Me either. I made a pact with myself never to use it. Prefer top down and just listen to the v12

9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    611LW, Spider68, of2worlds and 5 others like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    My sentiments exactly.

I've developed a hatred of radios in classic GT cars especially antennae, they destroy the purity of the lines.

11. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This was an amazing series of Daytona pix! First Ferrari I fell in love with as a kid. Thanks to you and Marcel for sharing them. :)

BOKE and miurasv like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds likes this.
  14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Can’t say I “hate” radios or other related equipment in any vehicle, but other than my early (late teens) years of overnight or weekend long boozing & slow cruising (read in-car parties) with friends all over Northern Europe in big ol’ American land yachts from ‘50s/‘60s, artificially provided music (usually on C-cassettes) often added to overall atmosphere, but personally I just don’t find them necessary or even useful for enhancing any real driving experience.

Generally, I think if radio or its ilk is needed during driving, it’s indicative of boring company, driver or vehicle, perhaps even all.

OTOH, as a restorer I feel if a vintage vehicle has a radio or any other “entertainment” or convenience equipment/options, be it a 16 2/3 rpm record player, automatically dimming headlights or rear view mirror from 1950s they must be maintained/serviced or rebuilt/restored so that they work as intended.

I do agree antennas and often outside mirrors on many older cars disturb the sleek body lines, but then again I never saw the attraction of embedded factory race team badges on front fenders of privately owned road cars either. :confused:

How about getting back to our regular program:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

dgunn365, colombo2cam and of2worlds like this.
  15. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oh, I don't know...

I'm sure I am in the minority, but to me "GT" implies that "touring" is a real driving experience, and a little music never hurt. If we were talking about audio-books, I'd be 100% with you...

Oh, and I'm looking forward to getting an 8-track back into my car (for the wackiness), though I need to also find some Verdi and Aerosmith tapes to play... :)

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I agree, it probably doesn’t hurt, but I don’t find it necessary or needed. If anything, it can be distracting. Perhaps not as much as those “smart”(?) devices people appear to fiddle or be enamored with while driving. Heck, I think individuals not able to get where they’re supposed to go without relying on such devices in their vehicles, shouldn’t perhaps be allowed to operate motor vehicles on public roads in the first place. :eek:

OTOH, when wife and I travel multi-day road trips in vintage Grand Touring style, she occasionally, although not too often, resorts to using small ear buds with her pocket size “smart” device providing some “other” entertainment (books or music) which I take meaning I’m being a boring company and/or she doesn’t find noises/sounds of the vehicle were in interesting enough. :(

As for the selection of choice 8-tracks, mine could be narrowed down to between LvB and Sex Pistols. :rolleyes:

Obligatory picture contribution:

colombo2cam and of2worlds like this.
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    nice thing about GT touring and intercontinental travel was that the radio could provide weather reports and traffic updates.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Ed, what do you mean by “was” ??? :eek:

As for weather or traffic, even in transcontinental GT driving/travel, I do what I’ve done every day of my life, look out the window or intended driving route/schedule and dress/prepare accordingly. Relying/waiting for radio reports, especially when already en route might prove too late.
    Besides, they don’t call them “adventures” for nothing. ;)

P.S. Almost forgot the picture:

colombo2cam, of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    timo, many methods and ways to get from point A to point B.
    enjoy your travels as you wish.
    ed

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Same to you.
    Just between this and my previous post, which was posted while enjoying a great shrimp & steak fajita lunch, I got caught in quite heavy down pour driving my roadster with top down. Funny thing was when the waitress came and asked if I’m the one with “cool old convertible with the top down in the parking lot ?” and after saying yes, she noted that “... it just started raining”, to which I replied “hopefully just water, not chocolate or something equally problematic”.

readplays likes this.
  21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ that reminds me of my high school/college days in my E-type roadster. drove it anywhere anytime.

of2worlds and readplays like this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I like the red carpet!
    That wood steering wheel reminds me that Mr Chinetti ordered a red 1972 Ferrari Daytona Spyder for the New York auto show. It was fitted with a wood steering wheel but had no air conditioning.

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
  24. Andreas72

Andreas72 Rookie

Aug 28, 2019
    dgunn365, MvT, Nembo1777 and 10 others like this.