Ferrari ROMA | Page 64 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Wet Sump ok for ordinary cars on the road. Dry sump track cars , F1 to prevent oil starvation.

IMO the most Beautiful aspects of a Ferrari is its engine. Wet sump and its just like any other engine. Easier to make and service hence why they have it in this category. No other car has wet sump.

This explains the loss in power compared to the 488 GTB , PISTA , F8 engine.

IMO this alone detracts any beauty the Roma, Portofino , California has. I want a real FERRARI engine based on F1.

of2worlds, ferrarifanatic25 and Bundy like this.
  2. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So wet sump = less power = slower?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    It's not even a track car!, and the people who want la ROMA, are not looking for what you are looking for! They are very different to you, and moreover those people have 0 interest to know if it is a dry or wet sump.

AD211 likes this.
  4. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    = An elegant grand tourer like the Bentley GT and Aston Martin DB11, all of them have a wet sump oil system!

5. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I agree with this. I don’t know the difference between wet and dry sumps (that’s why I asked) and would never think the Roma is a track focused car. I just know it looks pretty great and Ferrari has consistently made the best engines I have ever experienced. So it is a genuine question as to what the difference between a wet vs dry sump would make in a car like this. I still don’t know.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  6. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019

7. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    As I posted in the other thread, the whole wet sump/dry sump debate does not make sense to me. All Ferrari GT cars currently (Portofino and GTC4LussoT) use wet sump versions of the Ferrari V8 Turbo. I have not heard one owner complain about the engine because it is a wet sump. The engine fits perfectly what the mission statement of the car is.

8. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex

This was really helpful, thank you. My takeaway was that Ferrari is really good at using the right tech for the right application. 488 uses dry sump for better track characteristics and the Roma being a GT uses wet.

If I got that right then it sounds like the complaints about the Roma not having a dry sump is just bitching for the sake of bitching (especially since they haven’t driven the car). Internet as usual then.

9. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Exactly ;)

10. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    Ferrari should not move to Turbo, turbo is only one step from electric , both have bad sound or not sound at all ,

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Should not but they are forced to! Because of new laws they must reduce numbers of cylinders (from 12 to 8, from 8 to 6) and hence a turbo is needed to produce at least similar power than before.
    This has been discussed a dozen times before already.

Marcel Massini

MANDALAY, of2worlds, LARRYH and 5 others like this.
  12. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    why Lambo don't reduce cylinders?

LARRYH and Astrid.Didier like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest to ask Lamborghini.
    This is ferrarichat.

Marcel Massini

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's not a matter of cylinders per se, but more of a test cycle measured emissions issue and lower capacity, for certain markets. Lamborghini too has a turbo V8 in the Urus and that car makes up for half the firm's sales.

Regarding the wet sump, it doesn't detract anything in street driving and has little, if anything, to do with a reduction in power. The engines in the GT range are just a bit different, more usable, less aggressive.

15. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    perrinnation likes this.
  16. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No no no, this must be all wrong! Like therryzsx says, turbos are evil because they sound like hamsters running in a wheel. Just like the 488 Challenge, Pista, etc. which all sound so quiet and sad. Sometimes when I drive those I think I'm in a Toyota Prius.

Naturally I'm being sarcastic. I understand the romance for NA but "turbo is only one step from electric?". If that's true then it's a pretty big step!

17. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
  18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ferrari has notoriously bad press images. As a designer myself, it always amazes me how bad their renders/images are

19. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    I don’t see any engine at all

AD211 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  20. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    Because Lamborghini in general has a better German (resources/technology), as part of VW group, it also has the industry’s first "supercapacitor-based hybrid supercar.

In general you are talking about a far more superior manufacturer in terms of everything! so it's not a fair competition!

21. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    It's not the engine, the engine is normal size, but it's the huge front hhha !!

tomc likes this.
  22. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    so let's hope someone who have technology will buy Ferrari :D

23. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    They need to go back to Pininfarina first!

24. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    some new Ferrari are nice and some are ugly
    last ugly was SP90 but we have more this good looking like Roma, Pista, 812

25. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The SF90 is a pure ugliness!

Pista is a beauty in its maximum, but it's NOT their design, it's just a facelift of the 488 which is also another facelift of the 458, which was designed by Pininfarina.

Their first pure work of design was the SF90 !!. And as for the ROMA, it's a beautiful design but not solid enough though!, looks very slimier to AM, and though I love it, but with “a lot of thinking” and seeing more people reactions, I can't say it's solid enough, it's very beautiful and elegant but the design doesn't speak like a Ferrari. It needs some minor details to be perfect (rounded taillights etc..), as many still mistaken it easily for any AM or a JAG. I HATE THIS!