Best Ferrari book | FerrariChat

Best Ferrari book

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Fernando250gto, Nov 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fernando250gto

Aug 16, 2009
    hi im looking to purchase a Ferrari book to serve both as a good read and good photos as well as part of a decoration piece.

Can anyone help me to find which book is the best?

thank you!

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Una Vita Per L'Automobile or Piloti Che Gente. Both are the words of Enzo Ferrari. More photos with captions but still an extensive read. They both make wonderful coffee-table display books being quite large.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    There are about 1‘500 Ferrari books, including some in Russian, Taiwanese, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

Marcel Massini

maximilien, jm2, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    There is no single “best” book about Ferrari, but a relatively old book called “FERRARI: The man. The machines” is an excellent overview written from the perspectives of many prominent people associated with the marque, but it is 45 years old. Then there are Doug Nye’s updates of Hans Tanner’s book, but the most recent revision is about 30 years old.

The subject is far too complex to have a “best” book. Racing history, racing cars, road cars, biography, coachbuilders, etc. Heck, Karl Ludvigsen just published the updated revision of the most comprehensive history of Porsche and it took four volumes. The equivalent book on Ferrari is yet to be written.

jm2, amerikalei and Lusso123 like this.
  5. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    "Many books on Ferraris are a criminal waste of trees", a wonderful quote by Doug Nye.
    I'd suggest: set yourself a budget and settle for the best.
    For me:
    Enzo Ferrari by Luca dal Monte (David Bull), now on sale. History of Enzo, very detailed.
    Inside Track by Nye, Vestey et all. Expensive, but wonderful.
    Ferrari in Camera by Goddard, Nye (Palawan Press), Out of print, expensive, but no one ever regretted.

Sharknose likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I was going to suggest the Luca Dal Monte book but it doesn't really meet the display criteria set by the OP. But yeah, it's the best (long) read of any recent book that's purely about the "old man".

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    „Ferrari, the Sports and Gran Turismo Cars“ by Warren W. Fitzgerald, Richard F. Merritt and Jonathan Thompson.

Marcel Massini

8. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Out of print for years, but not expensive secondhand, and a wonderful reference!

9. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    I really enjoy the following three, all by Dean Batchelor:

Ferrari: The Early Spyders & Competition Roadsters
    Ferrari: The Early Berlinettas & Competition Coupes
    Ferrari: The Gran Turismo & Competition Berlinettas

They're all easily available and reasonably priced. I bought them early into collecting Ferrari books and still enjoy them regularly.

miurasv likes this.
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    While not in the same category, quality wise, Thompson also wrote "Ferrari, the Formula 1 Cars" as a companion volume in 1976, but it has never been updated, which is unfortunate.

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Right, and he also did "Ferrari Album", issues #1 to 3. Excellent publications.

Marcel Massini