TEVES ABS problem | FerrariChat

TEVES ABS problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambio, Dec 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Hello guys,

I'm having a problem with TEVES system ( I have downloaded the workshop manual with all th einfo) for this euro 95-96 F355. We managed to check the GAP of the sensors in the 4 corners, they are fine. We checked the wires/signals and all are good. We tested/tried another TEVES ECU from a running trouble free F355 in this particular car and still managed to get the same 36 code (flashing the ABS light) if memory is right ( I will double check tomorrow for it) and the DTC chart said it was lag of signal/gap or controller internal problem. But before swapping the ECU test, we purchased a used TEVES ECU and got the same code.

I'm running out of ideas what can cause this issue. There's no SD1 tool available in my country, my AUtel MaxiSystem ELite only has the FIAT 3 PIN adapter to OBD2 and the software only shows the BOSCH system to scan. There's any other way to scan or check the system?

Thanks

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Found this searching, not sure if it helps but its something. From 348 but I imagine Teves is Teves. Sounds like a failed sensor perhaps?

35-38: Intermittent lack of signal due to wire breakage or short circuit or internal ECU failure...or due to faulty electrical contacts...or due to irregular ring gear movement...or due to excessive bearing play...or due to Gap too large or small (35=left front, 36=right front, 37=right rear, 38=left rear)

Code Number Diagnosis
    11 open circuit in solenoid relay circuit
    12 short circuit in solenoid relay circuit
    13 open circuit in pump motor relay circuit
    14 short circuit in pump motor relay circuit
    21 open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid of front right wheel
    22 open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid of front left wheel
    23 open or short circuit in 3 position solenoid of rear wheels
    31 front right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
    32 front left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
    33 rear right wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
    34 rear left wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
    35 open circuit in front left or rear right wheel speed sensor
    36 open circuit in front right or rear left wheel speed sensor
    41 abnormal battery voltage ( < 9.5 or > 17 )
    51 pump motor of actuator locked or open circuit in pump motor circuit in actuator
    ALWAYS ON computer malfunction

3. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Replace the sensor(s)

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #4 johnk..., Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Here are two documents. The first has test procedures in it starting at page 32. The second lists the DTC. The DTCs are from a Jag document. Teves is Teves?

Attached Files:

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I would check the wiring harness for good continuity with an ohmmeter, as well as the sensors. And make sure you wiggle the harnesses around as the meter is hooked up to see if you get an intermittent open circuit. Good luck.

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    A common Failure point for the system is the ribbon harness in the abs actuator unit. When mine failed, I found a lot of info on the BMW sites. Repair procedure etc.
    Good luck!

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    It is not clear what parts you describe as "ribbon harness" and as "abs actuator unit". The ABS function is "actuated" (controlled) by the ABS ECU but it has no ribbon harnesses. There are no ribbon harnesses on the ABS Master Cylinder either.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  9. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did I miss your initial symptoms (what was/is wrong)?

10. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  11. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Great, thanks for the info. This is the Solenoid Block. I have not been in there yet but using ribbons does not seem to be a reliable design (the wired solution looks much better).

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A lot of good information but the original fault is code 36 which the computer indicates to be a bad signal from front right or rear left speed sensor. There are several recommended troubleshooting tips from the book and if he followed those tips, it should get him to resolve this.

14. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    Missed to reply this thread, sorry for the delay.

Yes I have done that from a donor car which is working perfect or trouble free of ABS problems, it will still throw the same code. Another donor car was used for ECU swap just for test which was working 100% perfect and seems like this ECU picked up somewhat the fault of the original car with the issue and moved the fault in the donor, yet, it will throw another code, 32 rather than 36. On the top of the that, this donor car, will stay on the light, hit the ABS button to "disable" or enable the ABS, it will shut off the light ( you would guess OFF = working trouble free) the ABS won't work, it will lock the tires. Very annoying situation here.

I will keep looking at the wiring harness etc and try to find the culprit.