Portofino Brake Pedal Feel | FerrariChat

Portofino Brake Pedal Feel

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Redneck Slim, Dec 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Most of the time the pedal feels a bit spongy,but sometimes it is firm the way I like brakes. I think that this is how the Ferrari Brake Prefill system is supposed to work (when the computer thinks that the brakes are about to be applied,it snugs up the pads against the rotors for quicker braking). Anybody have any thoughts or observations?

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unless you are experiencing brake fade from overheated brakes (many hot laps on a tight track) your brakes should always feel consistent, Brake Prefill or no Brake Prefill. If your brakes don't work consistently, then your braking action is compromised as you can no longer accurately judge how soon and how hard to brake. My 7-year-old Cali30's brakes always brake the same way, under the same conditions, so I suspect your car's brakes need inspection and perhaps service.

Spongy brakes are caused by inefficient and/or ineffective hydraulic pressure being applied on the brake pads. Usually, this is caused by a contaminant in the brake fluid circuit - water, air or some other contaminant can all rob the brake fluid's effectiveness. It could also be due to a leak or insufficient brake fluid in the circuit(s).

3. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    I have the same problem in my Cali30. It only started happening after I took it in for the last annual service. Although it was not one where they should have touched the brakes, I noticed one of the brake wires was unclipped. Dealer claimed they didn't do anything to the brakes, and since my car is in storage for the winter I figured I'd just get it checked out next spring. If you do figure out what the issue is please update the thread. I would think it's just air in the brake lines but I don't know how that would've happened in my case, so maybe there's another cause.

4. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I had a similar feeling on my Maserati Stradale. I was told the seals had gone in the master cylinder. The brakes worked but not as efficiently as they should. When I pressed the brake the brakes started working but then fluid was passing past the master cylinder seals so I could never get FULL braking performance. I could when stationery press my brake pedal all the way to the floor.
    Check this on yours, could be the same problem?

California Dreams likes this.
  5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The service manager offered a free bleed and that fixed things. I suspect there was some air in the abs system. The brakes now are firm and consistent.

California Dreams and tomc like this.