lack sf90 interest? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

lack sf90 interest?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by 95spiderman, Oct 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I thought the V8 sounded best in the Portofino. I found the GTB and Spider sounded similar just louder in the Spider. It was if they were trying too hard with the 488, but in the PF they said- lets just have fun! Yes the sound in the Pista is just more and more purposeful, but to state the obvious, it is different from the NA engines, you have to be open to a different sound. I love it.

Shadowfax likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The main differences are in the amount of power and the power delivery of every iteration, not in the sound.

3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Simple, the rear looks like a Lotus Elise

plastique999 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  4. bearmdjd

bearmdjd Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    I think the car is gorgeous. It’s just inevitable that there will be a spider version. Ferrari is pumping out too many new cars to buy them all. I’m stoked for 812 GTS but the F8 GTB and spider are a giant yawn for me. I love this car but I prefer drop tops to coupes. Once the aperta/spider/whatever is released I’ll be in.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Crazy how we all have different tastes, I don’t like the design of the SF90 at all but think the F8 is gorgeous!

6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I think opinions will change once the car is seen in person and on the road (vs. under presentation lights).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

x z8, of2worlds, Thecadster and 5 others like this.
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I never thought that was true, you need to see it in person. if it looks bad in pix it looks bad in person too. but I recently saw senna for 1st time in person and its so much better than the pics

Jas likes this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I don't think the rear of the SF90 is going to be helped much in person.

The longer Ferrari goes without the helping hand of pininfarina, the worse I think things are going to become. All the great Ferraris wear the pininfarina badge and/or had their influence. Ferrari builds a good motor, but so far - every time they have decided they are also a design studio - the resulting cars have looked questionable to me and the lines tend to be less flowing and elegant.

The back end of the SF90 is a disaster - which is a shame, because some of the other elements of the car look sort of interesting.

Ray

Jas, Shadowfax and Astrid.Didier like this.
  9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Laf is my favorite all time modern ferrari design. Was that in house or pininfarina?

x z8 likes this.
  10. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Goes to show you how different people’s tastes are. I love the back end.... it’s the front that’s less attractive to my eyes.

The rear looks modern and aggressive and will be spectacular in any triple layer paint with those deeply sculpted cut outs and vents.

x z8 likes this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The LaFerrari design is basically an evolution of the Enzo (designed by Pinninfarina), mixed with styling from the P4/5 (a redesign, also done by Pinninfarina). So while the LaFerrari wasn't technically designed by Pinninfarina, everything it drew its styling cues from was.

Ferrari has said publicly that Pinninferia had no hand in the design of the LaFerrari, but com'on.

It's like if your neighbor hires a famous architect to design their house and once it's done, you copy it and build your own that basically looks just like it. Sure, your house technically wasn't designed by that architect, but really it pretty much was - even if his or her name technically isn't on it.

The LaFerrari is a beautiful car; Pinninfarina's effluence is all over it, regardless of what Ferrari says.

Ray

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  12. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Agreed that the Laf is a beautiful machine, but I don’t think it was remotely based off the Enzo. Pretty sure there was a Pinninfarina design study conducted in the mid-2000’s and the Laf got its inspiration from one of those cars (maybe someone remembers the exact concept car?). Regardless, it was still a Pinninfarina inspired design.

With that said, I think the SF90 is the most beautiful modern Ferrari since the 458. A unique design, yet distinctly Ferrari. Looks amazing from every angle. I think Ferrari is in good hands with Flavio and his team.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You might be thinking of the F150 Manta concept? The P4/5 was around 2005 of 2006 as I remember. I think the Manta came later, but don't quote me on that.

The first time I saw an Enzo, it struck me as looking very space age inside. The LaFerrari looks better on the outside I think.

I haven't seen the SF90 in person, but I think you'd have to go with a dark color or black to pull off that crazy rear end design.

Ray

ferrarifanatic25 and gzachary like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The LF is a distinctive design, much better than anything PF produced for Ferrari, and on top of everything, an aero masterpiece. You sound like a broken record regarding PF...

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    no way. enzo is an ugly insect compared to laf! nothing in common

Coincid and jpalmito like this.
  16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I guess it depends on your definition of the word distinctive. To me the LaFerrari looks like an evolution of the Enzo. Open the doors and park them next to one another at a car show and most non-Ferrari enthusiasts probably wouldn't even realize they are looking different models until they are within 50 feet of them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Both ungainly. F40 and F50 own.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Taste is highly subjective. I wouldn't even notice an F40 next to a LaFerrari.

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #169 DeSoto, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Hum, well, not that I don't like LF, but Pininfarina set the bar veeeery high at Ferrari.

Having said that, I'd recommend you Pininfarina apologysts to do a search of Ferrarichat posts of 10/15 years ago. Pininfarina also got a lot of flak for the 430, 612, 599, California and Enzo, they were not universally loved at all.

Having said that, part deux: I'd prefer that Ferrari had stuck with Pininfarina just for the tradition, although I get that for them is better to design in house.

x z8 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Exactly. Nowadays exterior design has to follow the mechanical and aero functions and the people who understand them best are the ones who designed them.

of2worlds and ScrappyB like this.
  21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    PF had many misses, arguably the Tr, but there they had to work with a moded boxer platform and move the radiators to the side so the ac worked, it was a novel creative solution. 348 is a miss, but was fixed with the 355. Mondial? F50 Enzo? Often thoug a design house is at the mercy of the client, and design houses are very much dependant on who leads them so as a well loved creative genius moves on the design language changes.

The new Roma looks great in pics from most angles. The V8 cars seem to be more designed for shock value.

The SF90 rear looks vette to me, and the front end could have been done by anyone, but the front does look striking and agressive in a good way, the side view is pretty nice. The whole rear though is a mess, which theyre covering with cheap stylign tricks and paint to fool the eye. But then all that battery has to be hidden somewhere, and I dont think this is a wholy new platform.

As for concept, yeah its a fast road car, but to me quite pointelss, unless you want bragging rights, or live in Europe where electric power is a social must and some areas can only be entered on electric.
    800+ Hp is pointelss in road car especialy if it pays the price by weighting over 4000lbs. Its like a Bugatti Veyron, cool that it exists but pointless.
    Another example of ferrari building cars for paper specs and arriving in. In any event its clearly a market and theyre a buisness.

Still I'd also like to see a f50 inspired car in terms of weight and construction, you know somehting to keep ferrari relevant as an actual builder of sportscars. To be fair the Pista is the 21st century 288.

Pinifarina was not all hits, and current ferrari is not all misses, although the pista is based of a pinifarina masterpiece the 458.

Astrid.Didier and MarkTodd like this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Not to mention the cooling challenges on hybrids are more complex than pure ICE or EV's. Form is increasingly following function (technical, safety, legislative etc requirements). Arm chair designers/critics often underestimate the impact of these design 'hard points'.

x z8, of2worlds and REALZEUS like this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Form has been dictated by function for at least two decades, yet we still got the 458 Aston Vantage. Within rules theres still good design, and overdone or inconsistent design.

The Sf90 has some great points and some unfortunate misses. But if youre putting a battery and assorted hardware into a 488 thats what you get.
    It will be interesting to see how innovative a pure electric ferrari is, given that the powertrain can offer a lot of new design possibilities and flexibility.

Hybrids like the SF 90 with electric and gas motors are really quite pointless, esp with the electric era coming,

However flywheel assist hybrids are a really interesting way of preserving the Na style of motor while acheiving better efficiency, emissions and more power.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Which is a matter of opinion.

Not at all. Pure electrics don't have the range and need hours for a recharge. Hybrids are the way to go for now. More importantly, you get to keep the ICE.

Do you mean a flywheel as an energy storage device, instead of a battery? If yes, it has been abandoned by nearly all manufacturers.

x z8 likes this.
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think there are those who will argue theres good design and bad design, we may have subjective tastes and preferences but there is some objectively bad design, same with music, regardless of genre there is good music and bad music. Although yes the lines are by definition blurry because of subjectivity.

Pure electrics will have the range, untill then hybrids are a poor option to Ice, because youre carrying two powerplants. The performance is a stunt. It may be a thing in europe to enter certain city centres but thats it. As you say Hybrids are the way to go for now, so its fundementalya dead end and a waste of resources. But tot he ectent cars are bought on paper numbers, and hybrid tech is mature enough to do relatively cheaply, theres a market

No I dont mean a flywheel as an energy strage device. I mean flywheel electric assist as was used as part of the Laferrari powerplant. Essentialy the flywheel is an electric motor. This allows the ice enginbe to be NA and tuned for power at max revs, the electric flywheel fills in the tourqe deficit from such tunining and allows the mtoor to spin up much faster. Thereby you preserve that makes a NA ice motor great, can use smaller displacement and lots of revs for high Hp and dont pay the low down TQ and low rev response price for such a highly tuned motor. This allows efficiency and emissions which keep such motors possible.

The weight gain is minimal.