MSD in Boxer | FerrariChat

MSD in Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by parkerfe, Mar 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    For those of you that have installed an MSD ignition in your Boxer, where did you mount the unit? I am trying to figure out the best place to mount it where it can't be seen by a future concours judge. And, did you notice any set-of-the-pants difference between the MSD and OEM Dinoplex?

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #2 GaryReed, Mar 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My mechanic made an aluminum mounting plate for the MSD unit and fabricated a wiring harness that plugs directly into the factory female ignition wiring connector. The whole assembly mounts directly on to the three bolts/studs that the Dinoplex was previously bolted to.

It's a clean looking install, but if you want to hide the MSD, you could hollow out a dead Dinoplex and install the MSD guts inside of it.

PermaTune also builds an electronic system hidden inside of a donor Dinoplex, but it's $2K+. http://www.perma-tune.com/P-Ferrari.html

I also bought a brand new set of factory spark plug wires and MSD suggests running "regular" spark plugs, no fancy tips or platinum coatings, etc.. and to gap them at .010"-.020" larger than the stock gap.

I'm using NGK- BP7ES plugs gapped at .035"

The car is running the BEST that it ever has, since I've owned it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TerryG! and George Vosburgh like this.
  3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my msd is mounted in the same place. the aluminum plate is mounted on rubber bushings to the body.

4. UnVinRougeSVP

UnVinRougeSVP Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Same location on my car - An L-shaped platform was fabricated using the original studs and a 7AL2 was mounted on rubber bushings to the platform.

There shoud be adequate room under the Dinoplex - there is a space, however one would have to make mounting points on the crossmembers. I was thinking of placing my blown dinoplex back on the firewall and getting the smaller 6AL, making a bracket and putting a few mounting studs in the crossmember to hang it from. No one would ever see the MSD unit under the Dinoplex box and all the other stuff up there.

Other than that, you could put it in the cabin under a seat, but the whine might become annoying.

Lastly, since you do not have the corner mufflers, there might be space there to mount it and make it totally hidden, but running the wires would require some thought.

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    One more note: If you do buy an MSD 6-AL (rev limiter built in) you will need to mail it in to the MSD factory with a check for $35.00 to have them modify the rev limiter to make it to work with a 12- cylinder engine.

If you don't need a rev limiter, then the MSD 6A unit will work just fine.

Summit Racing has very good prices on all of the MSD products.
    http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400122

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My mech. has suggested painting the MSD 6AL box black and mounting it under the Dinoplex. He claims it will be almost invisible at that location. I am using the NGK BR8EIX as recommended for a BB512i on NGK's web site and Magnecore heli-wound wires along with an MSD SS Blaster coil that I have mounted inside the old Marrelli coil can...looks stock that way.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Frank,

You might want to consider using the "standard" NGK plugs, instead of the Iridium ones. MSD told me NOT to run platinum, Iridium, or other high tech types of plugs.

Apparently the MSD units like large meaty electrodes with a big gap. The IX Iridium plugs have very tiny thin center electrodes.

Also- The standard NGK BP7ES plugs are around $2.00 each, the IX plugs are $8+ each.

I just pulled some of my plugs out the other day to check on them and the color/condition looks perfect. That heat range (7) seems to work fine.

PS: Regarding the coil. I didn't want to destroy my stock coil, so I painted the new MSD Blaster coil black and was able to peel off the stock Marelli silver label and apply it to the new one. It now looks exactly like the stock one.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Maybe MSDs position has changed there position as they told me that the Iridium plus would be fine. As to the coil, did you insert your MSD coil into the metal can that the OEM Marrelli coil comes with? I bought the MSD high vibration coil that is comes in black rather than the red basic MSD coil and inserted it in the OEM coil can.

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Frank,

Here's what MSD emailed to me on 5/20/04, in response to my question about spark plugs.

<<
    We do not have a preference to plug brand, brand of choice. We do however recommend using one to two steps colder then stock and we generally recommend opening the plug gap up .010-.020 over what you normally run with a maximum of .065. The box will fire much larger then this but the energy required is hard on the caps, rotors, wires and plugs. We recommend using a standard style electrode non "HYPE" i.e. special coatings metals, electrode designs etc. Use a standard basic plug.

Thanks,

MSD tech
    >>

Regarding the stock Marelli coil, I didn't know that the outer "can" could be removed. Does it have to be pried off to remove it?

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I will post how my car performs with the Iridium plugs. And you do have to drill and scape to get the old coil out of the OEM metal can...but, it takes less than an hour and after a little sanding ,the MSD coil can then be glued/inserted therein for a stock look.

11. Dannytestarossa

Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2017
    key west Florida
    Full Name:
    Daniel A Coll
    do you have to use two MSD 6A one for each bank, I have a 1991 testarossa

12. Dannytestarossa

Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2017
    key west Florida
    Full Name:
    Daniel A Coll
    I think I am having the same problem with the ignition, can I use the MSD 6AL and do I need 2 boxes, do I have to have the MSD programed for 12 cyl?

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The Testarossa ignition is different than BB512. No need for MSD on Testarossa.

Rifledriver likes this.
  14. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    RE: BBi
    I have an "L" shaped shelf fab'd up to hold the MSD. Works very well. Sometimes, I switch off the key, and it continues to run for a few seconds. No big deal. I suspect the MSD has some large filter caps which store the voltage for some short time.

Just an observation: With the awesome MSD, the ozone / plasma under the 12 cyl cap is ferocious. If you note corrosion on distributor parts, that's why. Be extra vigilant with distrib mechanism lubrication. The 6 cylinder distrib's on Dino's are less, and the 4 cyl distrib's on 308's are less still. Anybody care to support, or refute. Not hurting my feelings.

I recall using .025 - .030" gap with the NGK EIX type plugs. Runs great ! ! !

15. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I went from the MSD which had a failure rate to the new Pertronix unit. About 1/3 the size with many more options and easier to "hide". Also, agree with the corrosion part when using the MSD.

16. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart

17. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Now for something completely different. I mounted mine under the passenger seat and ran the wires through the firewall. Cut into the original harness under the dinoplex. Out of sight out of mind.

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photo(s) would be great

19. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart

20. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I no longer own the BBi. It was a quite simple install. I spliced the original braid with the new MSD braid. It was totally out of sight which I wanted because I did quite a few Concours. This method worked fine for over 7 years and I sold the car and never heard another word. I always thought to myself this was sort of a keep it simple stupid approach.

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agree entirely about ozone "activity". I run a high energy ICE ignition system which is small and very powerful. Wow, sure is a lot of green copperish fuzz in the cap. Needs regular cleaning, but great spark.

22. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Just a note about the MSD. If you don't want the rev limiter, you will NOT need to have MSD change it to 12 cylinder. That is the only reason to have it modified.