458 - New 458 owner Engine Control system failure | FerrariChat

458 New 458 owner Engine Control system failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Piloti, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Hi, i am a new ferrari and 458 owner, i bought a 2010 that was ppi'd and had no issues, i've driven it maybe 100 miles and today when i accelerated hard i got a message saying ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM FAILURE, and something about limited performance shut off car and restart?

I did that and the check engine light and the Engine Control System Failure stayed on - but car seemed to be driving normal and the limited performance message didn't come back on.

I did some research on these forums and some suggest switching off the battery terminal and letting the car sit a bit then reconnect- I did this and restarted car and the message went away and car was driving ok for about another 10 miles, i drove hard then on another one of the accelerations it happened again.

I'm not sure if my battery is original , but it was tested in ppi a few months ago and said tested good.

Its reads rite past 13.2 volts. The only thing i did different for a bit today was drive the car in WET MODE for a few miles to have lower exhaust note but then i was back in sport & race again.

Anyone have a real fix for this? Is 13.2 volts good on the battery?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Anyone with help? Today it happened a few times, every time it was under hard acceleration, message would first be WARNING LIMITED PERFORMANCE, RESTART THE ENGINE/ so i'd restart then the ENGINE SYSTEM CONTROL FAILURE message would stay on but car would drive normal and if i accelerate hard again the LIMITED PERFORMANCE message would come on and i'd have to restart the car. The car starts ok and battery is around 13.2 while driving so i do not think its the battery.

I bought an OBD and its code P1525 ,which i'm not sure what ferrari translation is, i googled but nothing solid for ferrari came maybe The reason of Ferrari 458 Italia P1525 OBD-II Engine Error Code is P1525 Air Bypass Valve System

i will take it to Ferrari mechanic soon, i'm really disappointed and upset at this , not what i was expecting.

3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    What's the battery when engine is off but ignition / electrical on?

4. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    it is at 11.5

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Do you have a NOCO or CTEK battery tender you can use? I imagine the PPI results had a load test for the battery and battery is good just low on charge?

6. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    I tried using the charger that came with the car, when you plug into the car the light comes on, but when you plug into the wall nothing happens, no other light indicating its charging battery or anything, so maybe its bad.

but if its the battery, wouldn't it have just been a glitch, and not keep happening under the hard acceleration, around 7k, 7500 RPM (only does it frequently if i don't clear light) ? I know now that i cleared code with OBD it will be fine for lets say 20-30 miles but when the first limited performance restart engine / engine system failure comes on again, if i don't clear it , and i accelerate hard it will do the engine limited performance restart engine again more frequently

i hope i am not going down a rabbit hole of chasing gremlins here

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #7 Melvok, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Get a brandnew battery and put it in. Will cost only $ 100 imo and easy to do.

Read all about it in my thread YOLO …[\url]

Let us know all about it here with lots of pics please ...

vraa likes this.
  8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Get a new battery and get a proper NOCO or CTEK charger

Electrical issues can manifest themselves in very weird ways

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As others have said. Put in a new battery every 4 years, even if it SEEMS perfect! I have even seen brand new batteries give errors because the CCA spec was SLIGHTLY lower than OEM, even though the battery tested perfectly. See the attachment for start up procedure after the battery is replaced, and battery type/spec..

Attached Files:

10. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Post up what the mechanic finds out, i’m curious

11. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    New battery and put it on the BT every night...

12. tsmithmdtx

tsmithmdtx Rookie

Apr 17, 2011
    Tyler, Texas
    I had the same warning come on and tried everything you did and replaced the battery, bought a new charger but still got warning. Just got car back from dealer yesterday. They said it was an air intake valve problem which they replaced. We shall see if this fixes it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    sent you a message

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    That's virtually dead. Get a new battery

15. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    that’s with the car off and just electrics turned on. Are u sure that means virtually dead when ignition not on?

16. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Guys I will he taking it in to test battery but I’m telling you, the same code keeps coming with the fault P1525 which leads me to think maybe it’s not just a random bad battery glitch. It goes into mechanic next week and I’ll keep you informed.

Didn’t get a message from you

17. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Yes, he’s correct. With the engine running you’re not seeing battery voltage, you’re seeing alternator voltage. Without the car running you’re seeing battery voltage, and yours is very low.

While it may not solve the problem you’re experiencing, your battery needs to be charged and/or changed.

vraa likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Should be 12.4 volts. Your battery IMO has been damaged .i.e discharged too much and the cell cannot fully charge up.

vraa likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

How much did you pay for the 458 ? Batteries are cheap , just change it. With this car and nearly every modern Ferrari Batteries are an issue. Does it have the original battery ? If so boy one in a 1000.

20. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Here is a battery reading from now with engine off. That’s 11.8 correct? So that’s bad?

Tomorrow I’ll get a new battery, I sure hope it turns out to be battery, but doubt it since same code appears and it all happens at hard acceleration not just at random driving

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    These cars need to be on the Tender all the time.

I bought a new 488 GTB and after 10 months all started to happen. Warning lights and like you started indiscriminately even after acceleration. Fact the tender doesn't recharge the battery , only tries to hold the voltage.

Changed the battery and all warnings went.

vraa likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Don't even bother looking at the gauges . Best way is a multimeter. Good to have one.

vraa likes this.
  23. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Your 12v battery is not even at 12v lol

You really need a new battery and a noco or ctek battery charger

I drive my FF almost daily and the car still needs to be on a tender

These are not japanese cars with reliable and tested electronics

My 08 IS-F never had these types of issues, I could keep it parked for months without driving and it would start up with no problem, a few days in any Ferrari I've had and I've always had gremlins

24. don ellis

don ellis Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Don Ellis
    My 2012 458 has a somewhat different problem- maybe related?
    Started the car and both left and right display screens are white- no info. No speedometer. No fuel gauge. No info at all.
    I disconnected and reconnected the battery and the problem resolved but then recurred 2 more times. Now a switch on dash doesn't work (TFT switch?).
    The battery is only one year old and is always on a tender.
    Dealer says a computer chip "NQS" needs to be replaced- but they want $15,000. I know Ferrari parts are out of line expensive but this is egregious. No?
    Do I have any alternatives?

25. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Put new battery in today, went on first drive and under hard acceleration happened again. Same problem same code P1525 so wasn’t the battery unfortunately. Either way battery was from 2013 so it’s ok that I changed it.