458 - New 458 owner Engine Control system failure | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 New 458 owner Engine Control system failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Piloti, Dec 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Not sure on the 458 but on the 488 there is a procedure when changing the battery. Look at your manual.

ALWAYS KEEP THE TENDER ON.

Now if you have followed the manual and as you stated still have the errors unfortunately its off to Ferrari.

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You should post this where there are many that feel extended warrantee is not required. Talk about BILL SHOCK !

3. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    I did the battery start up procedure and got a new battery. It is NOT the battery. The same code comes back P1525 and happens once every few times on heavy hard acceleration 6500rpm+ , won’t do it if driving and shifting “normally”

Car will have to goto dealer or Ferrari mechanic that has the proper equipment and knowledge. The car only has 30k miles and passed inspection just few months ago at dealer, really disappointing I have to deal with this problem just a few days after buying. I’m pretty sure the PO I bought from didn’t experience this problem before, just my luck.

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You DEFINITELY needed a battery. Sorry to hear that it didn't fix the issue you were having, a lot of times (most times), it will actually fix weird electrical issues.
    The difference with yours seems to be that it wasn't random. You were able to do specific things to cause the failure. That would usually mean that it is a real /specific problem.
    Please follow up with the solution after the dealer figures it out.

5. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I had same error (not sure on code number) on my 2010 and as another had posted - it was air intake valves in my case. From what I remember, it warped and would not allow the value to fully open (which lowered performance of engine). Dealership had see nit before on 2 other 2010’s. They changed how that part was made starting in 2012 but still made me pay to fix (Which I thought was bogus). Sadly was not one of the cheaper fixes.

6. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Well I stopped at dealer and they were busy and booked for a while, but they brought out their scanner and read the codes to get proper Ferrari reading.

P1523 / Active / Stuck or open circuit manifold flap 2 plaus.

P1521 / Missed / stuck or open circuit manifold flap 1 plaus

P1525/ Active / manifold flap 2 stuck open at high engine speed (max)

The service writer said it wasn’t a huge deal, the flaps maybe getting stuck maybe couple of grand at most, but of course they would need to take it in when they have room and time to give proper diagnosis.

it makes sense how this fault only happens at high rpm now. I’ll keep updating but for now car is fine as long as I don’t go all out over 7-8k .

7. Kainedogg

Kainedogg Rookie

Jan 5, 2008
    ALDIE, VA
    I was rooting for it being a bad battery OP. Looking forward to the next update.

8. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA
    Still working on this. The last few times I’ve tried replicating it, I couldn’t get it to happen again, some have suggested that because the car wasn’t driven hard before I had it that the manifold flaps may have been getting stuck because of that, but that some hard driving which I’ve been doing had freed them, sounds like wishful thinking so still waiting to hear back from mechanic , with holidays of course it’s taking forever

9. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Here’s hoping an Italian tuneup is all it really needed! I would keep driving it like it was designed for - it might fix it completely and it will be fun. Worst case is it doesn’t fix it and you had fun Good luck, since I’ve also got a 2013 I’ll be following closely.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How on earth is everyone wanting to change the battery, the fault is happening at high revs so the car is running on the alternator regulated output at these revs. The fault would have come from high volts rather than low volts, but high volts would have blown a few other things like bulbs etc.
    Before you start changing battery, try connecting a volt meter to the system and press the starter to see how far it drops- 10.5 volts is a good reading. Then see what volts you get when driving to see if the alternator is keeping up with demand.

xfrgtr likes this.
  11. 458Piloti

458Piloti Karting

Dec 4, 2019
    Newport Beach, CA

You didn’t read through the thread, battery was not the issue, already bought new battery. Scroll up to see more info if interested, still working on solution

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My point was i of the opinion that people are saying to change the battery when the problem does not point to it- i was actually agreeing the fault was elsewhere. Read my post

xfrgtr likes this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Stuck maifold flaps?

I would remove the intake snorkels (upstream of any MAF if equipped) and spray some intake cleaner in them while giving the motor some revs. Could just be some carbon builup causing the flaps to hang up. Cheap to try at any rate.

14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah