The Problem with Ferrari Enthusiast....Joe Rogan | FerrariChat

The Problem with Ferrari Enthusiast....Joe Rogan

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Dec 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Knowledge bombs being dropped.

DGPF and JCR like this.
  3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is great!!

DGPF and daytona355 like this.
  4. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    Joe Rogan has the best guests on his shows

daytona355 and Eric C like this.
  5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    "It's hard to not be a ********* in a Ferrari"

DGPF and Thecadster like this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Matt Farah was the guest, he's the host of The Smoking Tire youtube series for many years, he also writes for Road & Track now. He's pretty knowledgeable, I think he dumbed it down a bit for Rogan or the audience. The David Lee Dino isn't manufactured by Lee, it was a shop in England, and while he's right that the F40 engine claim is pure fiction, the engine in Lee's car wasn't from a 360 as Farah surmised, it's from a Mondial 3.2 with the longer stroke crank out of a 360!

The bit about timing belts vs chains was annoying, it's not like Ferrari was alone in switching to timing belts, most manufacturers went to belts in that same 1970s era. Pre-308, all the Ferrari V12s and V6s had chains anyway.

Caphill, crinoid and Llenroc like this.
  7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Normally Matt Farah is super annoying to listen to, but this was really good. Joe Rogan knows about what is good.

:)
    BT

DGPF and Eric C like this.
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The two most recent TST episodes with Chris Harris, and the Mr. JWW are pretty good too.

sjd

technom3 likes this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
  10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Not all Ferraris are Turbos! :)

DGPF likes this.
  11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

These two clowns are idiots.

DGPF likes this.
  12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As with all of these types of articles/videos etc., etc., etc., it's riddled with half-truths, misinformation, exaggerations and generalisations.

It is possible to drive a Ferrari without looking like, or being, a complete d***** bag. As with all cars, there are good owners, and then are bad owners.

Enzo Ferrari did have contempt for some Ferrari owners, but not all of them. The owners he took a serious dislike to were people who bought his cars just to pose around in, purely to show off the fact that they could afford an expensive car. He didn't have issues with owners who bought cars to race, or those he knew would drive his cars flat out, enjoying the cars as he intended (I seriously doubt he would have had a problem with the likes of Steve McQueen buying his cars for example ).

As for the fuss made about the engine-out timing belt replacement: Ferrari made the whole operation about as easy as it could be, using a sub-frame cradle, and the bare minimum number of bolts, connectors, fasteners etc., etc. And a major advantage of the cars designed to have their engines removed to have the timing belts replaced is, they're designed to have their engines removed, so should you need to do any work on the engine, exhaust, manifolds, ancillaries or whatever, then it's a lot easier to do than with a car not designed to have it's engine removed (No having to lift the engine up, tilt it at an awkward angle, and then have it dangling precariously over expensive bodywork ).

The engine-out serving only has to take place every 3~5 years, and whilst the engine is out, it gives a great opportunity to check for any other issues on or around the engine, and sort them out. It also ensures that the oil and coolant for the engine is changed at the same time.

Ferrari enthusiasts are obsessed with originality, and don't like modifications? - Depends on the enthusiast, on the car, and on the modifications. In general, most Ferrari enthusiasts do prefer their cars to be original, but I suspect the same could be said of the majority of Lamborghini, Porsche, Lotus, Maserati enthusiasts too!

13. Figuerista

Figuerista Rookie

Dec 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Figueroa
    I've been listening to him for years, over the last 2-3 years he's become more and more arrogant and kind of full of himself. He's always wanted to be famous and now that he is famous he often gloats about himself on the podcast.

DGPF, mclaudio, xplodee and 1 other person like this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol. I kinda get where you are coming from... But what I find even funnier is that this is your first post. Lol. You must feel strongly about it

15. Figuerista

Figuerista Rookie

Dec 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Figueroa
    Lol yeah it was a weird first comment. I actually made this account today because I’m on the hunt for information regarding a Pista a friend of mine bought few months ago, it had a front end collision before purchase and the dealer refused to admit it. The money was returned but I’m trying to put all the pieces together little by little

DGPF likes this.
  16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I first thought these guys were a bit off. However, the more I thought about it, the more they weren't that far off. I drive my cars. They get tracked, hillclimbed, cross country trips and everything else. They make memories and put a smile on my face.

I was one of the founders of the Desert Region of the FCA and the 1st regional director. I spent the better part of 30 years making excuses for the vast majority that were arrogant poseurs that barely knew where the gas went and were far more concerned with pole position at the valet stand, rather than threshold braking and clipping an apex.

There are some guys out there that Enzo would like, but my experience has been....... Ferrari and the FCA...... you come because of the cars and leave because of the people.

17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Will you guide us to an alternative?

sjd

18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The only thing that would make it more race-car like is if the entire rear body work came off to make it really easy to get to the bolts. It's shockingly like an LMP car layout. Radiators on the sides, engine in the middle, 16 or so bolts and some tubing. Only in the modern era with the engine and gearbox as structural members and bolted directly to the tub, have things (only slightly) changed.

sjd

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    They are entertainers.
    Neither an authority although both knowledgable enthusiasts.
    I'll take that.

20. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    So Enzo would have contempt for most Ferrari/posters here in Fchat then. :) ;)