new 328 owner..as promised, my first questions and comments | Page 2 | FerrariChat

new 328 owner..as promised, my first questions and comments

Discussion in '308/328' started by albert_k, Dec 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I misread your question, I thought you meant what does the oil temp need to AT LEAST get up to.

Mine has been near pegging out for years under simple normal driving conditions in any outside temps. Water temps normal. I used to only see that on the track.

I put a new sender in and tried two different temp gauges but they all show it nearly maxing out. I'm not concerned about the oil tolerating the temps (if they are accurate), I'm concerned and wondering why it is reading so damn high all the time when it didn't for the first 15 years I owned it.

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First thing to check is that the cooler inlet ain't clogged with leaves or something.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It isnt. First thing I checked. I was hoping to pull out a bird nest or something.

We have been thru everything. I was even considering replacing the oil cooler and talked to Ted Rutland about it (I miss that guy). He told me he had no idea if they are a legitimate problem after 40 years or not but he did sell a lot of them.

I finally just gave up worrying about it a couple years ago only problem with that is I dont really have an oil temp gauge since it is always just reading "hot"

4. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Really? I mean Austin is supposed to be a great place. ;-)

5. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    i actually had an airplane do this same thing with oil temps..turned out to be a faulty vernatherm. i wonder if we have something like that? it’s like a thermostatic valve
    for oil...just a thought...

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Does it read high the moment you start the car, or is it rising in a normal fashion as the engine warms?

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    No. It swings over as the car warms but it just keeps going right. It appears to take about half the time to warm as you would expect and it settles very close to the far right.

8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Albert k, this is called thread creep. Don't be afraid to bring us back on topic. In the meantime, Tommy you have verified this with an IR temp gun right? Pre-oil cooler and post oil cooler?

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not sure even that could do it. We used to plug the intake intentionally to get the oil hot enough for a test for Ferrari and it was hard even then.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lots of potential reasons for it but not normal by any standard.

11. albert_k

albert_k Rookie

Nov 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Albert Khasky
    so..as i think about these gauges..i’m torn..as a private pilot we are trained to frequently scan many more gauges than this. having said that, placement is important.
    however, i’m not planning on racing, and at this point, the center console gauges have faded to more yellow where’s the ones in the dash are all deep orange. hard to tell in the pics perhaps...if i mixed them up i think it would look terrible. i’ll think on this a bit more. perhaps i’ll get the gauges refinished..

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Ron Reineke over in Atlanta is who I use. At one point he stuck little temp indicating tape things they use on race cars in various places, one being the oil filter. They all indicate temps to be perfectly normal. Car runs fine. Water temp is normal. It's just odd. I believe it to be a non problem in so far as anything actually getting that hot. I think the issue is somewhere in the electrical circuit causing a misread.

It's been doing this for a few years now. Something just occurred to me a moment ago; I have one of those digital oil psi sending units (actually the second or third one made). Any chance something happened when it was put in or are the circuits TOTALLY separate? Is there any shared wiring?

I'm just throwing **** out here. Brainstorming.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  14. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

"far from perfect" May be but I don't know other place with more information and the author is ready to add all contribution

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Are you the author? If so, I’m happy to PM a few suggestions.

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "Triple Black" is the site's author. Parts relating to the 328 was contributed in part by yours truly...myself. Suggestions always welcome.
    Rgds

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you. Love the site. I’ll PM you a few suggestions.