California Wiper/High Beam Problems | FerrariChat

California Wiper/High Beam Problems

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Specracer 85, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Specracer 85

Specracer 85 Rookie

Oct 15, 2010
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim Ellinger
    Just traded my 430 Spider for a 2010 California. Have any other California owners experienced a problem where the wipers and high beams won’t work. High beams will work when the stalk is pulled in to flash them, but not when it is pushed out to turn them on from low. When it first happened the dealer couldn’t duplicate the problem. Now it is happening again. As far as I can figure out the system relays, fuses, and control stalks are unrelated, so how could it be connected?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Never heard or read about that issue...T

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    On the Portofino,an ambient light sensor decides whether to have the low beams or the DRLs on during the day.. If the DRLs are on,the high beams can't be turned on. First you have to push the light switch to switch to low beams.

4. Specracer 85

Specracer 85 Rookie

Oct 15, 2010
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Jim Ellinger
    I tried some trouble shooting. I don’t think my switch is the same as you are describing on the Portofino. I turned the lights on in the dark garage, but still low beams only. Wipers wouldn’t work in garage. Backed the car out into the rain. Wipers worked when stalk is pulled aft to start washer cycle. No work in intermittent or low/high settings. Then rain got heavier and wipers started on their own in low position.

So both systems work. They just don’t work from the regular switch positions. Relay? Some sort of wiring connection problem from stalks inside column? Ugh.

5. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi Specracer,
    If this we’re to happen on my car the first thing that I would do would be to purchase a tin of switch contact cleaner and spray it liberally around the switch whilst working the stalks and turning the offending switches in all possible directions.
    The cheapest option is always my first course of action before dropping the dollar at the dealer.

cheers Andrew