F1 02 360 spider loss of power | FerrariChat

F1 02 360 spider loss of power

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2mmuch, May 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #1 2mmuch, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Ok so I was just about to go out. I fired up the car started backing it out of the garage. Put it into first step on the gas and nothing. I mean I had to push the gas pedal half way down for it to start moving. So I brought it back into my garage and ran a OB2 scan on it an it showed a p1189 and a p1149. Throttle issues. I know I had a bad connector on the drivers side so I took it off cleaned and put it back together. Cleared the codes and fired it up. Still car is power less. If I put my hand in front of my tail pipes I have 4 coming out the back the 2 on the right side are blowing hot air but the 2 on the left side the one closes to the outer side of the car is blowing cooled. And I can smell gas. Would the throttle position shut down some of the engine? I rescanned the car and no CEL or Codes show up. Just have no power. Oh I did have a slow down light come on this morning. Had a P0422 and a P0432 code. Erased it and kept going. No issues the rest of the day. Any ideas?

2. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    You are getting p0422 and p0432 along with "slow down" light because your cat is heating up, perhaps cause by rich condition, and that's why you smell gas.
    The main cause I suspect is somewhere else. Maybe, MAP sensor or Throttle position sensor. There is way to check that as well.
    I would start out with the easiest first. Inspect both of the Throttle position sensor. With a voltmeter, take a look at the wires from your TP: one is grnd, one is 12v, one is 5v reference, and one is signal to ECU. Once you verified all those wires, then look at the signal wire with a voltmeter while raising the throttle(engine off, key on). Do that to both banks. If you have a scope, that would be the best way to look at TP sensor. Signal voltage should change smoothly while you slowly raise the throttle, again, with a graph scope is to view this.
    You need help on which wire is which, drop me a PM I can take pics of my car and can give you a reference point as to which wire is what.
    I am sure there are guys on this forum can give you that info too, but I can help if you need a reference point or a comparison from what's normal condition or not.

3. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Mike

Thanks for your help, I will PM you once I get a chance to start digging into it. Just to clarify one thing the gas smell wasn't when I got the slow down light, it was after the position issue and the car running in my garage. It felt like some of my engine wasn't firing and when I step on the gas the peddle would go half way down before revving up and then I could smell gas, like it wasn't being burnt off.

4. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #4 2mmuch, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Would a throttle position issue shut part of the engine down. Start the car up and far left tail pipe is blowing cool and the one next to it is blowing hot, after about a min. I start to see condinsation spitting out of the exhaust. Only left side. Right side hot air coming out from both. There is a little puddle of water starting to forming directly under the one out port on the right you see in the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Take a look down the tailpipe with a flashlight and see if you have a Russet potatoe stuffed in there. Yes, I'm serious... based on my personal experience.

6. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Nope........... no Russet potato; just a Yukon Gold............. should I worry?

7. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Luigi, One bank has two exhaust tip. One is typically run hotter then the other one due to the xhaust valve close and open as parameter set in the ECU. Usually when its cold start up condition, only one xhaust tip spit out more xhaust then other tip next to it because the valve is close to cause back pressure in the exhaust to heat up the system(this is part of the "emission" design purpose). There is more to that valve then that specific job, but at this point we don't need to know further.
    The water that you see at the xhaust tip or as you refer to as condensation, is created or cause by your cat converter oxidizing the emission and break in down into H20(water). From cold start up to warm up idle, if you don't see any water comes out of the xhaust tip, that gives you a clue that your cat is not working as good as it should.
    Base on the description you gave, I suspect MAF or TPS faulty. I usually don't condeem anything unless I have hard evident, either by test of the component(s) or confirm by substitute a good know part. Ferrari aren't cheap parts, remember that?

8. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Great explanation. Thanks

9. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #9 2mmuch, Jun 2, 2014
    I erased all the codes and fired up the car. Pulled it out of the garage and put it back in. Ran the codes again and I got the P1189 and the P1149. Ok so here we go. I posted a picture of both plugs of the motor driven throttles. 16T = LH motor plug and 23S = RH motor plug. Can anyone tell me where I can find the wiring call outs for these two plugs so I can start checking to see where my problem is.

Thanks

10. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    Luigi, The code p1189 and p1149 both indicate "Pedal Position Potentiometer signal". Can you glance down at your gas pedal, pls.....See if there is anything abnormal from the pedal sensor, such as wiring harness not knock off, connected properly and securely, sensor are securely in place, and if you have floor mat, make sure its clear of obstruction to the sensor...
    What you have there from the pic is the one from the engine, at the throttle/intake tube. YES???

11. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I too had the same issue. It was the left bank TPS. I am changing both. Contact Glen of AMH Exotics. He is helping me obtain a set at a great price.

12. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Luigi
    I just last month replaced my throttle sensor. Easy job really apart from one lower 10mm.
    My car was doing the same thing but not as bad.
    If you blipped the throttle there was a lag, the changes were rough and it sucked petrol like nothing else. Also it was a pig to start and ran as rough as guts when cold.

I was told by Ferrari to try cleaning the connector, but that never worked.
    Then they said to cut the wires from the connectors and solder them. I was suspect but did it anyway. Still the same.
    Change the sensor and re solder the original plug. Sorted.
    $580 from Ricambi. Part 170038 for memory.

Ferrari did tell me that sometimes after market code readers are not exact, so I took there word for that. My code P1154 was nothing to do with it but it fixed the problem.

13. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #13 2mmuch, Jun 3, 2014
    Thank Mike

I think this is a picture of the Pedal Position Sensor Plug. Any help on how to test it would be great, before I dish out $600 to replace it.

14. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    #14 mikelong, Jun 3, 2014
    I got home from work a bit late today. I PM you with a pic, as much info as I have for today. Pls, check you PM and I will send you more info as soon as can.

15. Phemes

Phemes Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Bonner Springs, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Phil Hemes
    According to the wiring diagrams all of the wires in the connector seem to come directly from the RH Motronic ECU, have not managed to locate a signal v. pin for that unit though which is what you will need to fault-find properly.

Anybody have that info ?

16. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Mike

Just want to let you know that I met a guy in town who has a 430 and took his pedal position sensor out and brought it over to my place. We plugged it in and away it went. Car works perfect. So I bought one from Exotic Auto Recycling, should have tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help, maybe one day I will be able to return the favor.

17. mikelong

mikelong Karting

Dec 17, 2012
    You are welcome and no worry.
    Your input along with little of what I know will help everyone here. That's what the forum is all about.
    Good day to you and everyone here....:)

18. 3pedal360

3pedal360 Rookie

Jan 11, 2013
    Sorry to revive but im chasing this same issue as well, if anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated, im getting the 1189 and 1149 on the DX side and have swapped throttle bodies side to side- no change , replaced air flow meters half a year ago from another code, and have recently checked plugs to the throttle potentiometers and bodies. The car has a brand new throttle pedal position sensor from the factory however the same codes came back after clearing. If anyone has readings of the breakouts above and what the signal should be that would be appreciated. The car runs fantastic as far as no misfiring etc but it seems to be in the recovery limp mode and when reading the live data will not give the throttle more than 20%. Thanks in advance.

19. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Me too, same issue. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. MrNs

MrNs Rookie

Jul 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Marinus van der voort
    I would really like to know if you found any solution to this :) , experience exactly the same with a 360 over here

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Which fault messages are you getting? P1189 and P1149? What have you already done to try to fix the problem?

Resistance/voltage checks of pedal position sensor? https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148734467/
    Replacing pedal position sensor as mentioned above?
    Cleaning/Replacing/repinning/resoldering connectors as mentioned above?
    Wiring checks from the pedal position sensor to the RH Motronic ECU as mentioned above?
    Resetting/inspecting inline plugs between the pedal sensor and the RH Motronic ECU? https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148734467/

What year/model do you have?