488 - Ferrari Dealer MSRP Overcharge on new PISTA | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari Dealer MSRP Overcharge on new PISTA

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sirt2k, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sirt2k

Sirt2k Rookie

Apr 27, 2018
    Hi, has anyone experienced being overcharged above MSRP on new Ferrari? I have purchased close to 10 vehicles from my local dealer over the past 7 years, mostly brand new. Currently holding 2018 488 Spider, 2019 Pista Coupe, 2019 812 Superfast, waitlisted for F8 Spider and 812 GTS.

I was lead to believe that i was paying MSRP on my specced 2019 488 Pista Coupe, however after many months it was revealed that i was overcharged in excess of $45,000 by my dealer because one of the dealership principals felt he could modify Ferrari published pricing as he sees fit. The dealership did not notify me of this overcharge, i figured it out on my own and confronted them. They lied at first and then confessed to the wrongdoing claiming they had no knowledge and it was done at their sister dealership.

The dealership is willing to provide me with a credit on my next purchase for the overcharge however i feel this not acceptable. This was an act of theft and justice must be served to the those responsible.

Has anyone ever called Ferrari NA to complain about a dealer? i know corporate takes dealership operations seriously.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    How do you not know you were overcharged by 45k? Did you not see the msrp spec sheet?

That’s insane they would do that. I thought Ferrari was not able to charge over msrp on new cars.

mkraft3003 and Thecadster like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This defies reason. Might it be a simple misunderstanding? What did the MSRP show? I “built” my own MSRP by adding together standard base price plus my desired options, the pricing of which I pulled off the Ferrari price sheet. I’m baffled reading this.

sampelligrino likes this.
  4. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    If all checks out, credit on next purchase is not acceptable. Wonder if similar happened on your previous transactions with said dealer.

5. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Were you the originally owner? The actual person that specced the car or did you take over someone’s allocation? If you were the one to spec it I find it very difficult to understand how you would not notice a 45k difference. The pricing and option sheet are right here on this forum and 45k would be a lot of carbon or other options and would be hard not to notice. Also where was the window sticker? Now if you were buying someone’s allocation /build slot than you were charged a premium which is not suppose to happen but various dealers do it all the time. Since you have bought 10 vehicles from the dealer I can only assume you know how the pricing works. Smells a little fishy.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh something is off....

7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You should first call FNA and then follow up with all documents you have. Get the dealer to admit in writing what they did and how they plan to rectify it. Provide that in your documentation. to FNA. I would copy the information and send to Ferrari in Italy.

The dealers future allocations will be impacted and likely be fined by Ferrari for violating the dealership agreement.

I have meet the US head of FNA and a very nice and upfront person. He will not be kind to the dealer for this.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Simple. Tell the dealer to cut you a check for 45K if that’s the total they overcharged you. Then in the future do business with another dealer.

up4speed and PA Wolfpacker like this.
  9. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I dont understand, its written in your deal sheet. MSRP plus TTL? How can this pass you. I mean, didnt you look at the window sticker?

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh post a copy of the invoice

11. Sirt2k

Sirt2k Rookie

Apr 27, 2018
    i realized the overage because a friend of mine, also
    At the time of delivery the dealer claimed that there was no window sticker/official pricing for the vehicle due to being one of the first in my country. I discovered the overcharge when I was approached to buy another PISTA from a private owner. His car was specced better then mine however was cheaper. Upon further investigation (reviewing many other build sheets) it came to light that I was over charged. When I confronted the my salesman and demanded answers he claimed that, again due to early production for my country there was no official pricing or window sticker so the prices were “estimated” by one of the principals at their sister dealership. I asked why I was never notified and he claimed it was an oversight.

Unacceptable to me, I continued to research and came across another PISTA Bill of sale, from the sister dealer, with correct pricing, and to my shock a delivery date prior to mine. This made me upset. I immediately went straight to the dealer principal that I am friends with and called his bluff. He immediately got In to his vehicle and drove 4 hours to see me. In person he admitted that I was basically robbed and claimed that his partner manipulated the prices, unbeknownst to him, because he felt like it. He refused to put anything in writing and refused to discussed on the phone for obvious reasons. I am trying to resolve but not having luck. They won’t write me check for refund rather trying to apply a credit on an 812 GTS that I haven’t even received allocation on.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What country are you in? Why are we pulling teeth here?

13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    You are holding over a million dollars worth of cars right now and you have purchased cars from them for over 7 years and you have this issue. Something is not right with your story or how you are managing your purchases.

Do tell more in specifics.

AD211 likes this.
  14. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You say this was one of the first in your country. The car has been out for over a year so how is this just coming to light? Wouldn’t you have discovered this 8-14 months ago? The price sheets have been out since orders were first taken and you could have easily converted the currency. Something isn’t adding up.

15. Sirt2k

Sirt2k Rookie

Apr 27, 2018
    I live in Canada. All my info comes from my dealer. They told me my car was one of the first delivered. True or not, I don’t know. I have no reason to lie, on a forum nonetheless, about my experience. I have reviewed the numbers on my previous cars and all seems to check out. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to resolve without necessarily throwing my dealer under the bus...yet. My car was delivered in April and the discrepancy was discover in September/October. Have been trying to resolve.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I was expecting you to say an Eastern Europe country- shocked u are in North America.

Thecadster likes this.
  17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Why wouldn't you want to throw your dealer under the bus? They ripped you off. Its not like they discovered it and just tried to make it right out of the blue. Hell they still aren't trying to make it right. I imagine you are worried because you still want to buy more Ferraris in the future, but do you really want to deal with them ever again?

18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you dont want to throw your dealer under the bus, then take the offer to get a discount on your next car. end of story.

ScottS likes this.
  19. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    If the price difference was off by 45k, i would want the difference returned plus sales tax and maybe even a small interest charge to make it fair. A credit would be unacceptable because it forces your hand in a way to buy another car. You sound like a prime customer and to put such a relationship at risk is foolish on their part.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    This may not be a bad idea

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    If it is what you said, sue them for fraud.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Money to burn apparently.

23. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Assuming your deposit is refundable, be sure to have them include that figure in your deposit on the F8 or GTS rather than a "discount" on purchase. Then spec and take delivery or cancel order and receive deposit back.

24. Sirt2k

Sirt2k Rookie

Apr 27, 2018
    Thank you all for your input, much appreciated. I will let the forum know how things turn out.

25. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Canadian dollars bro. Is that even worth anything? Sorry op...bringing humor to poor situation.