458 speciale vs F12 | FerrariChat

458 speciale vs F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Avia11, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hi guys! I'm looking to either add an F12 to my garage or sell my 2015 spider and pick up a 458 speciale coupe. Is the speciale coupe more fun to drive than the 458 spider? If so is it significantly better? I like cars that evoke a strong visceral response. I wasn't super impressed with the F8 that I drove last weekend. I am hoping that there are people who have had all 3 and can share their experience. Thanks!

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have all three and it is really hard to say which is “better” for all people on all occasions. Each has its own character.

I really enjoy my 458 Spider, especially on sunny days, sounds amazing, wind in the hair, and I think looks gorgeous. Nothing to fault it (except for some cowl shudder).
    My F12 is a classic Ferrari V12, sounds furious, no other car sounds like this car, has crazy amounts of power, yet classy and comfortable to drive when you want to relax with the significant other on a drive to dinner. Less "fun" but more "impressive" in the way it drives.
    My 458 Speciale is in many ways almost the single most perfect sports car ever built: the sound of NA engine, while not as good as Spider, is excellent, the performance is stunningly sharp--laser like in handling. Everything works together in perfect harmony. Dustman keeps referring to it as "loose" and after ~7500 miles (some extremely aggressive driving miles) in my Speciale I have no idea what he is talking about. It is tight, controlled and does everything you ask almost telepathically.

If you told me I could only keep 1 Ferrari for the rest of my life.....very very tough call...but likely would come down to the Speciale.

However; if you told me 458 Spider + F12 vs. Speciale alone....then I'd opt for the combination.

mclaren slr, LMH, Wikdstrate and 5 others like this.
  3. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    I’ve driven all of those cars you mentioned but I’ve owned an 812, 488 and Huracan Performante. If you are interested in a car with a strong visceral response I would go with an 812 or a Performante. The 812 has incredible handling that shouldn’t be possible for a car of that weight and length. It sounds profound especially with aftermarket exhausts. It “fits like a glove” if that makes sense. The Performante has heavy handling and the most precise steering among these cars. It gives you the razor sharp race car feel for the street. It also sounds amazing with roaring V10 behind your head. I thought it sounded better and handled more sharply than the Speciale. To pick one I’d go with the 812. Nothing can beat the Ferrari V12.

I haven’t owned those cars but I hope this is helpful.

Caeruleus11, Bundy and Thecadster like this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    :) :)

LMH and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    As a very fortunate owner of both a Performante and a 812, I could not agree more. NA heaven....

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^Hard to beat the symphony of NA V10 behind your ears. Took the H down to the beach today over lunch, had fun just tooling around at 5K RPM with short blasts up to 8K like playing a musical instrument and toying with the volume/pitch.

j34 and Thecadster like this.
  7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    How cool is it that “italiafan” pipes in on the first reply and says he has all three - lol.

Ive been drooling over F12’s lately - road in one once, but it was immediately after I got the chance to drive a 599 GTO so I was on sensory overload and don’t remember much ... :)

MDS

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Brother, you need IPE exhaust on your Speciale .
    I agree with italiafan- out of the 3, Speciale is best. It is precise in handling as mentioned, butttt I have actually broken the rear loose many times - I’m on Cup 2’s and in the wet it can be loose.

I’ve driven the F12 and it is “comfortable” but numb to me....prefer 599 but that’s just me. V12 symphony yes!
    I picked a Vanquish for the V12 exhaust note and GT luxury.

Sent from my 16M

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know it!
    Your Speciale sounds like an F1 car!
    As soon as it’s off warranty I’m doing it.
    You are right I can break the rear loose on the Speciale at will...but the car as a whole feels “tight” and solid, changes direction telepathically. I’ve never been surprised by anything in the handling or caught unawares.

mclaren slr and plastique999 like this.
  11. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I love them both, 812 and Speciale, the contrast in appearance and driving characteristics. The engine bay on the Speciale is wonderful as well. Longing for a Pista, TDF Blue maybe.

: Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

mclaren slr, Goblin, day355 and 2 others like this.