Winter tracking | FerrariChat

Winter tracking

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by sandmed, Dec 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sandmed

sandmed Rookie

May 25, 2014
    Tennessee USA
    What's a reasonable cutoff temperature where it's too cold to track a car (Ferrari 458)? I'm supposed to participate in a Ferrari track event this weekend and the forecast is 50% chance of rain and 45 F (7 C). I really want to have a go at it but I'm having second thoughts.

2. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Tire Rack recommends 40-45F as the cut-off for summer tires. Every tire maker varies their composition and suggested ranges, so your mileage may vary.

I don't have an expensive car (FIAT Abarth), so 45F and rain wouldn't keep me off the track, since you're going to likely slow down and not be pushing it to 100% in the wet.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What track? Some tracks have more walls to hit like WGI. Some tracks have lots of runoff that is cement like Sebring. Some tracks have lots runoff like dessert tracks like Buttonwillow. Some tracks have grass runoff like VIR. Each track type presents a different level of risk on track as well as off track.

In general street tires are for street conditions and that's reasonable temps and rain. If all you had were slicks you just can barely tiptoe around a track in rain. A street tire needs to meet DOT specs and that means be able to run in the rain. Certainly some tires are better than others and you have to use your brain working up slowly in speed feeling your grip levels.

Personally, I rarely get to drive in the wet. I love it every time I get the chance especially if I can race in the wet.

4. sandmed

sandmed Rookie

May 25, 2014
    Tennessee USA
    The track is Road Atlanta. My tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports

5. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    These were the conditions when we raced at Road Atlanta two years ago in a Lemons race...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So I can tell you that the track drives fine when it's cold and wet. And I'm sure our tires were not as good as yours.

Of course you'll need to drive within limits. Road Atlanta is a fast track under any circumstances and you can get into trouble in places like Turn 1, down through the esses and the last downhill turn leading onto the front straight (see photo above).

I'd say just drive to your comfort level and have fun. At least you'll get to learn the track so that the next time when you go back under better conditions, you'll be that much ahead of the game and ready to push a little more.

And one other thing regarding fatbillybob's comment about runoff areas, the slickness of the runoff areas is affected almost as much by rain prior to the day as during the day. By that I mean don't be fooled by the current track conditions. It can be a clear, dry day, but if it's been raining for a few days before you get there, the areas off track are still going to be very wet.

trumpet77 and Dogdish like this.
  6. sandmed

sandmed Rookie

May 25, 2014
    Tennessee USA
    Wow thanks for that perspective!