Battery Question | FerrariChat

Battery Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by SlowScud, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Is there something “special” about f-car electronics that causes everyone including my dealer to recommend that the car always stays on the tender when parked in the garage?

My car typically gets driven every weekend at least once. Max 2 weeks parked if traveling or bad weather. First f-car, never even thought about using battery tender on prior fun cars. Have been keeping it plugged in, just curious if really necessary.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ferraris in general have a higher parasitic drawn which kills the battery in sometimes less than a month .. even if the battery is just able to start but low it will set off a number of faults again since the modern ferrari and most modern car electronics are very sensitive to voltage.. additionally most agm batteries don't like to go low and then get charged up repeatedly ..causes a short life span

These are the reason for a battery tender

Welcome to the Scud club

Another thing is that the OEM chargers are not the best back in 2009 so maybe consider getting one with the proper adapter .. I posted the one I got ctek mx7 I believe

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

whatheheck and vraa like this.
  3. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Yeah they have too much parasitic drain

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Lots of modern day ecus consuming power even after power to ignition is turned off.

Trackers, Alarm systems, central locking, engine ecus, this list goes on whom all consume power even with engine switched off.

As cars become more tech laden this just keeps on getting even bigger... Couple that with batteries which can loose capacity over time and become much less efficient in cold weather and you have the perfect storm.

Now you can either fit monstrous sized batteries with extra capacity ampere hours or you can fit smaller ones which have less reserves. Ferrari choose the latter for weight reasons. Less performance biased cars go for capacity over performance.

Skidkid and whatheheck like this.
  5. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    Got it. Thanks everyone.

6. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I fully agree with the previous messages. I keep a battery maintainer on all of my "toy" cars to avoid the parasitic drain and also to keep the battery at peak operation. It also helps prolong the life of the battery. There are also many similar posts on this site regarding batteries and maintainers that you could find useful.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ctek mxs 5.0 with ferrari dongle..works great so far ..I am sure there are others as mentioned in other threads

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

8. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Gentlemen,

I read these type of concerns on this forum in many different question formats.
    It does not matter if a vehicle has 10 modules or 50 and communicates with modern day technolgy which includes flexray, Canbus or simple Lin communication when the car goes to sleep mode which usually is around 10-20 minutes after the key is cycled off the parasitic draw should never be excessive.
    Acceptable parasitic draw is around 0.025ma...this by itself will not kill a battery short term.
    As stated what does accelerate battery long term life is: ambient temperature (extreme cold or just the opposite high heat) battery age and ofcorse lack of maintence. As stated when a battery gets to a low voltage anything typically below 12v in some cases they have a tuff time to fully recover.
    So is it a bad idea to maintain a battery the answer is No, using a smart charger is the only way to go however if your vehicle has excessive parasitic draw you are not maintaining you are keeping it alive..that battery will be depleted in a very short time without a charger.
    I hope I am adding value to this subject.

9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I'm not sure if I agree, I semi daily drive (a few hundred miles a week) my 2016 FF and it still goes down on charge, enough to where hooking it up to the CTEK shows a pretty big difference from where it's at charge wise, to full charge

Maybe it's time for me to get a new battery who knows

My Lexus on the other hand? Never a problem

10. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I would recommend having your battery inspected by a sophisticated test equipment this will give you factual data on battery life.
    If this shows good results check for parasitic draw..
    Your Lexus I would venture to say has many modules and utilizes modern day communication.

Skidkid likes this.
  11. mechanicservice6

BANNED

Feb 13, 2017
    Keeping the battery at a good charge keeps battery life higher. Once it fully discharges it will lower the battery life even if fully charged again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I live in a high rise building and there are no power outlets. All of this tender talk has me concerned. I have looked online for a rechargeable tender but have not seen anything. The thought process is to charge the tender and get a few weeks with it on the car (you get the idea) then charge again. Anyone else in this situation? My Noble M12 GTO-3R had a battery cutoff switch which worked perfectly, but that car had less electronics to worry about.

13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    some Scuds don’t have issues— 2 years now— sits for 3-5 weeks sometimes, 2-3 weeks all the time. Spins fine.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Trev's answer is correct AND they can easily sit for a month. Many here don't drive their fun car that much; it is easy for a month to go by when you travel, have 3 cars, etc. SO, if you drive every week or every other week, it isn't an issue. There are some other with electrical issues and they don't track them down but instead blame the battery. Tracking electrical issues is a real pain in the ....

Mr A, I think you are confusing a smart chargers function with a discharged battery. They always start showing a 'low' condition and rapidly move back to full if the battery is fully charged. Have you ever done the same exercise on your Lexus? I suspect you haven't and that you don't even have a charging cable available on that car; you just assumed it is ok since it didn't misbehave.

Manda racing likes this.
  15. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    You may be right I'll try to get a NOCO extender installed on the lexus and check it out

I could just tell that the FF battery was starting to get low because it took longer to crank and actually start

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A month is fine if the battery is any good to start with. About 50% of the cars I service come in the door with a compromised battery.

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Fair point. Lots of compromised batteries around; particularly given the little use they so often get.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have a few chargers, including a NOCO. I like the NOCO a lot but it definitely works that way. I plug in a battery, let it fully charge, unplug for 30 min, and the charger will start at 25% charged again (maybe 50%). It did that even with a brand new battery.

19. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I'm going to have to install a multimeter in all my cars at this point haha

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Try Save A Battery.

f355spider likes this.
  21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    You are 100% right I did the same thing to the Lexus today and it started on 25%

I'll have to get a load tester and make some documented notes from now on!

22. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have had a 360 for 11 years, never put it on a tender once. I try to drive it every week but have gone 2-3 weeks with no issues.

23. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    This is what I have always suspected the reality to be assuming you keep battery fresh.

If your car needs a tender you aren’t driving it enough. Exemption granted if you live somewhere with bad winters.

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #24 f355spider, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    The 430 Scuderia, at least for North America, came oem with a Optima Red Top AGM battery. They are rated at 800CCA, which is pretty decent capacity. Note that red tops do not have the best reliability, and it is worth load testing it at least yearly, if not every 6 months. They are also known for not taking to a deep discharge without losing significant capacity...which is not normally a trait of AGM batteries...but again, red tops suck. Worse, the battery tray on the North American 430 Scuderias are specifically designed to fit an Optima red top Group 34R battery. If you want to fit something else, you either have to modify the tray, or replace it from the standard F430 Berlinetta or Spider battery tray (over $200).

My red top is now 6 years old and barely passing a load test. I'm replacing it...but since I am lazy, I just bought another red top, even though there are better options. I haven't fit it yet, but will shortly.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I followed your advice, the Save A Battery tender is my favorite. (I own several brands, including Deltran, and Griot's Garage) Solidly built with a pretty rugged case, includes several different connection options as standard and I like the voltage display and LED indicators. Mine is older, I notice they have a different display now.