Red battery light on for no apparent reason | FerrariChat

Red battery light on for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by James cln, Dec 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Well the red battery light is on again - driving me crazy! Had battery ( proper AGM) completely checked leak down, cranking amps etc by interstate dealer- checks fine . Alternator charges at 14.7 at start up then drops back to 14 or so . After charging overnight or longer - proper CTeK that came w car - green light on charger . After starting - red battery light on dash .
    Battery stays charged , everything works fine . I watch volts on dash and looks great but still this irritating red light - I did hard reset twice to no avail - it did go out on one drive but came back on next day. Help! Can anyone tell me what is the problem?? Could it be maybe in instrument cluster giving a false indication ? Or ??? Thanks , james

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Get someone competent to look at it. Very simple system.

Hard reset? What ever that is is pointless. Pay less attention to internet experts and get real help. Turning the battery off never fixed anything. At best it delays the inevitable.

3. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    That was what dealer told me to do to see if it would cure problem.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If it's like a traditional Ferrari indication system, it's based on two voltages on either side of the warning lamp contacts being the same (to extinguish the lamp). One voltage is from your ignition lock (perhaps a yellow or yellow/black wire) which is battery volts, the other is from a wire on the alternator (possibly a yellow/green wire), called the "L" wire. Check the wiring in the alternator area.

Sorry, I have no wiring diagrams for the 2015 Cali T.

5. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Thanks Ian , I will look for them. Hard to get to . Ha! Appreciate you note . James

Qavion likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The experts might be able to point you to a disconnect plug on your Cali where you can do continuity checks of your alternator wiring without going under the vehicle. In fact, it's sometimes the disconnect plug on Ferraris which causes the problem.