Nobody likes Alonso | FerrariChat

Nobody likes Alonso

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Dec 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    MARKO: THE NAME ALONSO MAKES THE HAIR ON THEIR NECKS BRISTLE

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/704950/Marko_The_name_Alonso_makes_the_hair_on_their_necks_bristle/

It has emerged that Liberty Media made an enquiry in the summer about whether there might be a seat at Red Bull for Spanish star Fernando Alonso for 2020.

That is the claim of Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, who described F1 owner Liberty as the new “Alonso managers” who offered to help the two-time World Champion with a F1 comeback attempt for the driver who talked himself out of the top flight.

“We immediately said we have no need for Alonso,” Marko told Auto Bild. “It won’t work because our engine partner Honda won’t have it either. The name Alonso makes the hair on their necks bristle.”

However, Red Bull’s current driver lineup is Max Verstappen and Alex Albon, and Marko admits that the team could lose Verstappen after 2020.

“We have to give Max a car in 2020 with which he can become world champion. Otherwise, he will be gone,” said the Austrian. “Right now things are really going on behind the scenes. It will be decisive weeks,” Marko added.

Meanwhile, a return for Alonso to his former team McLaren also appears unlikely.

“We are convinced that both of our current drivers have the potential to become world champions,” team supremo Zak Brown, referring to Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, told Auto Motor und Sport.

With no place in F1 for the feisty Spaniard, he will instead focus on the Dakar starting after Christmas, followed by a concerted effort at winning the Indianapolis 500 may in his ongoing quest for the elusive Triple Crown of Motorsport.

crinoid likes this.
  2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I suppose it means more coming from someone who elicits a similar response.

Senna1994 likes this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I wonder if Alonso waits until he’s met everyone on the team before he starts burning bridges or does immediately get work burning as soon as he arrives ...?

Thecadster and Adrian Thompson like this.
  4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Nope, it's the opposite: Alonso likes nobody.

But I was wondering who are they going to hire if Albon fails or even worse, if Verstappen leaves. They have nobody in the pipeline. Maybe Marko ends eating his words.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

By the end of 2020, Alonso will be nearly 40.
    Red Bull has never recruited an ex-WDC.
    They tend to promote internally from their pool of young talents.
    Red Bull always looks in the future, not in the past ...

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, but what pool of talents? Their reserve crew is made of rejects.

7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari does'nt want Alonso nor does it want Max......per Binotto as of today.

william likes this.
  8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Fern is old news because he's now past his prime. His days in F1 are done.

TurboFreak650, E60 M5 and william like this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I agree. He gets more out of a car than most. His 'reputation' vs results is interesting. I would welcome him back but his ability would be slightly diminished by now.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Where would he go:
    Merc--unlikely
    Ferrari--only if allowed by Vettel
    nobody else is capable of fielding a winning car right now.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Most contracts end at the end of 2020.
    Mercedes could be a possibility, if Hamilton decides to stop.
    Vettel's contract will be over by then. I doubt if Ferrari will reconduct it!

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As a driver Alonso is an exceptional talent that comes along once in a generation. As the complete package he is riddled with issues and his personality is somehow toxic and at odds with his driving abilities. It is often said that it is amazing he was only champion twice but in some ways he was fortunate to even have that.

crinoid and william like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

He had talent, and probably still has.
    But it's what comes with it that's unbearable.
    Alonso built himself his toxic reputation, and nobody wants him anymore.

vinuneuro likes this.
  14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Alonso to replace Vettel. You heard it on fchat first!

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If that happens, Ferrari will lose all credibility, IMO.

Good luck to Leclerc.

Nuvolari likes this.
  16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    As long as we consistently get 1-2's and win, who the f*ck cares about credibility!!! Leclerc can't learn from someone like Seb who is already in his rear view mirror.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As I just have written in another thread, Mattia Binotto has declared today that they have been approached by Fernando in Abu Dhabi about a seat available at Ferrari in 2021, and Mattia has said to Fernando that he was not part of Ferrari's future.
    Case closed.
    (And Camillieri said "Never, ever, for Max Verstappen")
    Rgds

william likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In 2014, Alonso had a winless season at Ferrari, and finally left in acrymony.
    I predicted then that he would never win another GP, and I thought Ron Dennis was mad having him back the following year.
    That was 6 years ago now; Alonso never won again, and he isn't even in F1 anymore !!
    Alonso can go around the teams and beg for a drive, I don't think any team principal has him on his wish list.
    Alonso is the past ...

Nuvolari likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Thet would never obtain that, but before long there would be a civil war inside the team, caused by Alonso.
    Alonso is just poison.

Agent Smith likes this.
  20. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I've never been an Alonso fan. I will never question his ability, and unlike other popular drivers I dislike (Senna and Schumacher) I have nothing against his on track behavior. I still haven't' forgiven him for his part in McLaren 2008. But I will never doubt his skill. He's certainly right up there in pure talent terms with Hamilton, the aforementioned Senna and Schumacher, Prost, Clark, Fangio et al. IT's not that he's made a habit of burning bridges, he goes full nuclear on them. Why burn a bridge when he can nuke the whole team from orbit? Not only did Ferrari and Red Bull already not want him, after his childish tantrum exploits of going out of his way to embarrass Honda in their struggles I can't see anyone ever wanting the guy again.

I have nothing but admiration of him going to LeMans, Daytona, Indy etc. but man does he come off as an A@@hole. I'm sure he'll be back at Indy this year with SPAM, but I don't think that's where he wants to be. He wanted to have another shot with Andretti, but thanks to his past behavior Honda have said no way, and I'm fully behind them for that.

I'd have more respect for him if he wins Indy and goes back the next year and or returns to Daytona. Winning any of these events once is a massive achievement, going back and trying again after you've won is even more so.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Funny thread title. You quote one person. Are you saying Helmut is a nobody?

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I have never been an Alonso fan either. Alonso comes with plenty of issues.
    Horner was right for saying that everywhere he went, he left chaos behind.
    It's hard enough to run a team, but if on top you have a disruptive element ...

As for your other statement "popular drivers I dislike (Senna and Schumacher) " I am with you there: I have no respect for those 2.

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The clue is in the highlighted part in the last sentence of the article.

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Disagree. Saying there is no place in F1 is not the same as nobody liking him. I will grant you there is currently no place in a team worthy of his skills.