575 BaT Listing | FerrariChat

575 BaT Listing

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Laserguru, Dec 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Looks like a nice one. The FHP hydraulic steering ECU does not, of course, alter the steering ratio. It only varies the hydraulic boost compared to the standard ECU for more feel.

Qavion likes this.
  3. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Taz, is the standard ECU fixed gain or is the FHP a modified gain curve? Also, if the standard ECU shared with the 456Ms? Curiousity....

4. puckybadger

puckybadger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 12, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I have the FHP steering ECU on my 2002 456M GT, courtesy of the prior owner, and all I can say is the feel is unlike anything I have ever experienced in a vehicle. Like on rails.

5. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here is a graph of the 550 steering ECU curves. It includes the stock curve, the FHP curve and the MSW curve. The curve is boost vs speed, the slower you are going, the more the boost.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So MSW is more like the FHP but slightly softer. Thanks for the curves. Excellent data

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Really good to know, Plucky. Thanks.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- The 456M has its own unique hydraulic steering ECU, part number 174763, not common with the Maranellos. Unlike the 456, though, the 456M is compatible with the FHP steering ECU (or MSW's) and will increase steering feel by cutting down on hydraulic boost.

As you can see from the curves, none of the ECUs are fixed gain, and all vary boost with speed. I really like the steering on my FHP 575M, and you can see boost pretty much goes away by ~30 mph. It does feel a lot like my old Daytona at speed, and you do not need to be a weight lifter to steer her at low speeds like you did the Daytona. Overall feels a lot like Dino 246 steering. The Dino only had a bit over 1000 lbs on the front tires.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Taz,
    Is MSW still providing their version? Tried googling but didn't find them properly. Thanks. I learn interesting stuff from you all the time!!

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Dave and John (Cribbj) are still providing hydraulic steering ECUs last time I checked. They no longer provide the version that was hooked up to the Sport switch to change between standard and FHP/MSW. John can provide either a standard FHP ECU or the modified curve MSW version. I personally really like the standard FHP version, but I have been using it for 11+ years.

11. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have both the FHP and the MSW version. For the twisty back roads where I live, I prefer the MSW version. If I am going to be driving at higher speeds and more open roads, I will put in the FHP version. I got them from John last summer, my car came with the 'stock' steering ECU and will never be put back in the car as long as I own it.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    can you expand on this? i have an 03 456 GTMA and am interested in learning more.

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've communicated with cribbj (John) today concerning the availability of these for our 456M cars. He is taking a bit of a hiatus at the moment but expects to kick a thread off sometime in the spring to test the waters for interest. I know I am interested, likely in the MSW curve approach as shown above.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    tt- The FHP Hydraulic Steering ECU fits 550s, 575Ms, and 456Ms, but not 456s. Swapping out what is a glorified relay takes about 30 seconds once you locate it. Steering feel is improved by lowering hydraulic boost as speed increases.

15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have an MSW ECU in a box somewhere (I'm pretty sure the one that's activated by the Sport switch) from many years ago...ever since we moved I've been unable to locate it. I need to hunt for that thing and slap it in!

16. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I’m in for FHP !

17. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I pulled the original steering ECU in my 550, it took almost 5 minutes of prying and pulling to get it out. I am not sure why, but it was really stuck in there and I didn't want to break anything. Now that I have replaced the ECU several times... it takes more time to get to the relay than it does to replace it.

18. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I have the MSW curve ECU installed in my 550. Definitely better than the stock setting but still doesn't come close to steering feel on my BWW e38.

19. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    So the recirculating ball steering with a huge dead spot in the middle feels better than the Maranello? Granted, I still haven't driven a Maranello, but this is probably the worst part about my E39 M5.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Funny thing is the Daytona had recirculating ball steering, and it felt really good above parking speeds and very precise at high speeds.

Riad- You should try the full FHP steering ECU. I really like it on mine

someguy likes this.
  21. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    I don't feel a huge dead spot in the middle. Paid close attention this evening while driving back from work. Maybe a hair slow in the middle but it is dead centered, steady and responsive at cruising speeds. Off center it is a joy to handle with a very restrained amount of boost.

Terry- You're probably right. I went with the MSW setting because I wanted a more gradual boost reduction in city driving (30-50 mph range). Maybe I shouldn't have overthink it and just trusted the Ferrari folks and gone with the FHP setting.

someguy likes this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note- Not all recirculating ball steering gear has a dead spot in the center: Daytonas and Mercedes 560 (and related) SECs are good examples of systems with excellent steering.

23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And old Alfa GTVs (& Spiders, Berlinas). Burman Recirculating Ball and simply wonderful

24. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh off center I love how it feels, and think the ratio is just right. However, after driving an E9X M3 where the steering inputs feel telepathic, the E39 feels pretty numb by comparison. That said, steering that is not that sensitive could be considered a plus at high speed cruising as these Maranellos were meant to be driven.

That's true, and the E39 isn't really bad, but it really could be better. I do know it'll never feel like a 458, that's for sure haha