456M Anti-theft board location | FerrariChat

456M Anti-theft board location

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jimveres, Nov 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimveres

jimveres Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi all,
    I think my anti-theft board is acting up. The flashers are on most of the time and it doesn't look like it has anything to do with the hazard light circuit, the turn signal stalk or the flasher relay. The parts diagram doesn't show the board location. The wiring diagram seems to indicate that the boards are somewhere on the passenger side towards the rear of the car. I haven't found them in the trunk. Are they under the rear seat? Under the passenger seat?

Can someone let me know where the boards are located? Extra credit if you can tell me what I have to take apart to get to them.

Thanks much,
    Jim V.
    456M in Seattle

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Could it be an inertia switch problem?

Here's the location on a 550

Try resetting it. The 456's wiring diagrams suggest it's in a similar position (engine bay, rear left hand side of vehicle)

3. jimveres

jimveres Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Qavion likes this.
  4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I could swear I saw that unit under the right rear armrest panel (rear seat). Let's wait until someone confirms, but to get to it you need to remove rear seat bottoms, rear seat backs and the right-side rear armrest panel. Sounds like a lot but it's actually easy - albeit tedious.

5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    This is correct. ECU module is behind the side panel.

Start with the bolts that hold the seat bottom. They are under the carpet, just below the front edge of the seat bottom.

6. jimveres

jimveres Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm pleased to report that the inertia switch was the problem. When I went to install the new one, I found water in the connector to the switch. The new one came with a tube of sealer which appears to be needed.

On the 456M GT the inertia switch is in on the driver's side of the engine compartment mounted on the side of the car near the brake fluid reservoir.

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Jim V.

7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Jim, if you ever do have to get to the immobilizer ECU, it is indeed tucked behind a security panel behind the rear, passenger side panel. There are great instructions for removing it on the FerrariFobs website since fob and immobilizer repair (including retrieving the PIN code) requires you get to these units. I just did mine in the last week for the PIN code and fob reprogramming. Mark at FerrariFobs is great!! You'll need a 10mm socket, 10mm open end, and most importantly, a T30H star security driver to get that security panel off.