How extensive should a PPI be on a late model F12 or 812? | FerrariChat

How extensive should a PPI be on a late model F12 or 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 96redLT4, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm looking to get into a '16 or newer V12 preferably with 7500 miles or less. I know I will get 7 years of free fluids and will try and get at least the powertrain warranty for as long as possible. Do people do leak down testing on the engines or is this silly as they are too new? How long before modern F1 clutches need to be replaced? Do you really need to pay thousands for an independent inspection of a car this new or can the selling dealers be trusted to have reasonably vetted the car?? I appreciate any thoughts.

2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It depends. Who is selling and history. Either way you never get the compete story or evaluation. If it doesn’t have the warranty you can pay for that inspection and get some peace of mind. Never know.

There are many threads with stories either way depending in seller dealer and car.

In the end would you put 220k on the table with no or limited due diligence? It’s not likely to be the full amount at risk either way. One owner private sale with documented records from an Fchatter is probably the best way to go unless your brother friend Or neighbor is selling to you. Many believe you buy the seller not the car.

Have not heard of a clutch in the f12 needing to be done. The 599 is another story.

It all depends on your ability to get an inspection, see the car in person and your appetite for risk.

Scott

96redLT4 likes this.
  3. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^Thank you for the reply Scott! I agree with your thoughts. Modern Ferrari V12s are rare birds where I live. Some amount of trust in others will be necessary I suppose.