Are you a digital or analog driver? | FerrariChat

Are you a digital or analog driver?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Dec 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It has dawned on me the great divide is between those of us who grew up in a analog v a digital world. For example, I went to high school in the middle of Illinois (Champlain/Urbana). We were dumb ****s. We NEVER wore seat belts. There were no state inspections. We didn't know you weren't supposed to drive a Hemi with rear slicks and skinny fronts in the snow. (and with straight pipes). Somehow, we survived. Although, frankly, there were those who didn't.

To make this Ferrari content, I have owned three Ferraris. One was a 1998 Maranello. The second was a Challenge Stradale. The third was a 1967 330 GTC. Here are my impressions:

On the track?

CS all the way. That car was a hoot to drive fast. I took it once to the Ferrari French Quarter Classic (ask me someday about Franco's driver's meeting), and it cost me $1,000 to get the bumper resprayed after one day at the track. (The paint job on that car sucked.) It was a cold day, and I remember a F360GT spinning out in front of me because it was too much to handle.

The Maranello was cool on the track as long as you understood it's limitations. Big wide sweeping corners, perfect. Tight corners, man, oh, man, you had to put a lot of faith into those ABS brakes.

The GTC? Are you kidding? No way Jose.

On the street?

The CS was fun in short bursts, but not so much fun for longer trips.

The Maranello was an absolute hoot on the street. Damn car was more fun than the law allows. I would routinely drive it 500 miles in a day.

The GTC? You needed to mediate before driving this car. It was old. It can only do so much. Push it too hard, and it will bite you. The GTC was best on perfect days (it had A/C if you count cooling your right knee as A/C). But once in the zone, it was mega cool. Driving it was like the dosey do. Late apex on the turn in, swing your partner, dosey do, and track out on the exit. Very, very cool.

Overall

I loved the CS. But, but, there are some thangs that are best left alone. Lord have mercy. That was a fun car, but if I had kept it, I probably would have killed myself.

The Maranello was like Goldilocks porridge. When it was good, it was very, very, good. When it was bad, let's not talk about that.

I sold the GTC for a huge profit because I knew I couldn't afford the car. Like Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac, it was expensive being being her.

How does this fit in the analog v digital world? Simple, one Christmas I brought Mario Brothers for the kids. I set up the game on the TV, played a couple of rounds, and have never played a video game since. I realize many of you started playing video games in the womb. So for you, the digital world is the way to go. For the rest of us:

Just let me hear some of that rock and roll music / Any old way you choose it / It's got a back beat, you can't lose it, / Any old time you use it / It's gotta be rock and roll music / If you wanna dance with me - Chuck Berry - Rock and Roll Music

italiafan, anunakki and daytona355 like this.
  2. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    THIS, is analog

Yes, I'm aware that's Rick Derringer:

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Had a bb512 in today to get up and running after an extended sleep. After filling the cylinders with oil, rolling her over with the plugs out, then bringing those 4 triple choke weber's back to life..oh baby.

Texas Forever, daytona355 and BOKE like this.
  5. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Analog is still the best. They aren’t the fastest but to me it’s a much bigger thrill to earn the ability to handle them right. Modern driver aids are making the cars stale

6. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Great thread. In what way was the Maranello bad? I just saw a nice Rosso Corsa one driving here in Genoa and it really moved me.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All in, it cost me at least $3 a mile.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sorry Dale...That's your problem right there. After basic needs put the calculator away. I have been racing all over the country. I do not know what is costs because I don't add it up, I don't keep receipts, and my wife never asks.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I like a bit of both. My first car was a '69 VW Beetle, so I started out pure analog. Now I have an '80 308 GTSi, and even the FI is mechanical, so still analog. That car is a hoot to drive, but it's not something I could take long vacations in, so I sold my 456M GTa and got a 360 Modena sunroof/stick. I think it's the best looking mid V8, and it's a nice combination of analog and digital. I've grown appreciative of things like ABS - which saved my real, actual life on a BMW bike once - traction control, steering boost, and airbags, which are a love/hate thing for me, but if I ever need it, it's there. PITA exhaust CEL's are the weakest link with that car, so next is aftermarket headers and cats, and 360trev's ECU refresh, which will eliminate those entirely.

Haven't decided between the Roma and a 612 to replace the 456M, but I could convert an F1/a 612 to manual, or go with the thoroughly modern Roma. The FF is no longer a consideration.

Suppose I could stand a 458, but it's no replacement for a 360 manual. Not interested in ANY mid V8's after that.

My new truck is a digital tour de force though. Still haven't figured out half of what you can do with the settings. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  10. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    On track I really really enjoyed the Scud... but way too fast to enjoy on the road... though it’s a paddle shift, it’s a great experience... superbly responsive engine, hearing the ticking of tiny stones on the front wheel well... the racey details... like the seatbelts... you really feel the car as there isn’t a lot insulation... I wonder if it corresponds with kind of like a modern F40 experience: anyone has driven both?

Recently drove a Huracan Spider in sunny weather on Italian country roads... flooring it more than 4 seconds is impossible as you’re risking your life... it’s sooo capable that you need to reach insane speeds to get a thrill... it doesn’t feel very characterful.. a bit like my superb Audi... very bery capable... perfect shifts and road holding... but quite boring.

Finally: recently took the 456 for a spin... what a car: design, sound, shift click, character... a real thoroughbred... amazing to drive at any speed.

Analog rules for me!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Analog for sure. The only non true manual car I owned was my 360 F1 which I enjoyed, but moved up to my 430 manual. Much better. I drove one of the last NA (V8) M3's with the DCT and wow I couldn't believe how smooth and fast the shifts were. Got bored so quick I pushed the auto button within 5 minutes. I never even did that in my 360 in 4 years!

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You have a great wife!

fatbillybob likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One point I meant to make and got distracted is the dividing line is probably video games. The only game I played growing up was pinball, which is definitely analog (learning how hard you can push the table before the contact switch throws). Some of you grew up with video games. I never play games with my computer. It is a tool, period. But you younger folks definitely grew up in a digital world.

ago car nut likes this.
  14. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    willrace and Texas Forever like this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Analog!

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #16 italiafan, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I prefer chess to video games....guess that makes me pretty damn analog. :)
    Oh..and sipping a good bourbon while playing.

In the library....

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Bridge is my game, but I can dig Chess.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Let’s see who can guess some of the books....:)

20. 500drvr

500drvr Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 5, 2014
    So Cal
    Analog!

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Had a similar experience with one 365 GTB/4 yesterday and Yes,.. oh baby !
    Settled to smooth idle right out of the box, but then again I had prepared her to that “extended sleep” accordingly and kept her properly cuddled/maintained throughout it.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Analog FTMFW!!

Sent from my 16M

23. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Maybe one day Ferrari will bring back an analog model. You will likely pay considerably more and get less!

24. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Analog.
    No ABS , no PAS , gated box and pref Webber’s .

25. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I love the raptor! If I did not love/need diesel torque and towing more I would own the raptor. I have diesel in the veins. I hope I'm dead before diesel is taken away.

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.